1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Found Out Why GB's Killing My Battery (with Temp Fix)

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid Pro' started by Skates12, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Skates12

Skates12 New Member

This morning I was finally able to isolate what was causing my extreme battery drain. It's "Enable Background Data". I disabled it, unplugged my fully-charged Pro and in exactly four hours it has only used 20% power.

If you don't have an unlimited data plan - and you're experiencing this problem - I highly recommend keeping a close eye on your data use because that's how I discovered the cause.

Normally, I use between 1.2 and 1.4 gigs/month. Post GB, my phone has gobbled up 1.1 gigs in the past SIX DAYS! My battery was also running red hot. After disabling b/g data, the temp has dropped over 10 degrees (my battery app measures exact temp).

Disabling b/g data is hardly ideal, but I'm sharing this in the hope that it helps some of you until a permanent fix is available.
  2. jzamoras

jzamoras New Member

have you lost any real world functionality?
  3. Skates12

Skates12 New Member

The only two things I've noticed so far are:

1) It doesn't seem to be checking email automatically anymore, and
    2) If you want to open the app market you have to reenable, but I'm willing to live with that for now.

There's a Yahoo! Notifier message that claims it needs the function enabled, but it's working fine (I only use IM, not mail).

On the plus side, web browsing is much faster.

It's been unplugged 9.5 hours, I've been putting it through the paces and I still have 30% charge left.
  4. jzamoras

jzamoras New Member

I also noticed connect to GSM instead UMTS network improves battery life... I don't know which solution (gsm or bg data) is worst, lol
  5. jpcalhoun

jpcalhoun Well-Known Member

You should be connecting to CDMA...Verizon is a CDMA carrier. Using Global or GSM will only use more battery...Verizon is NOT either one of those type networks.
  6. Skates12

Skates12 New Member

All, I decided it might be useful to search outside of just the Pro battery issues. Apparently, several other models have experienced the same battery drain problem once GB was installed.

Two other suggested fixes to try are:

1) If you have Corporate Sync, delete it, then recreate it.

2) Set wireless sleep policy to "Never".

Many users report that one - or both - solved their battery drain problem.

I've done both of these, am currently charging my battery to full, then will see if either of them works for me.

Grasping at straws here, but with background data disabled I'm losing a lot of functionality.

** Update ** Neither of these worked. Battery dropped 40% in two hours. The only thing that works for me is disabling background data.
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  7. jzamoras

jzamoras New Member

where I live there is no CDMA, just GSM / UMTS networks
  8. jpcalhoun

Okee Hokey...didn't realize that. Sorry.
  9. google123

google123 New Member

I would look for an app in the market that can gauge the data usage of your apps. There shouldn't be anything in GB that uses that much background data. Clearly there is an app that is misbehaving. Just saying. Look for apps that can gauge an apps' data usage and make adjustments or kill it with fire!

https://market.android.com/details?...sImNvbS5jdXJ2ZWZpc2guYXBwcy50cmFmZmljaW5mbyJd

I just installed TrafficInfo by CurveFish from the market and it shows how much data each app (user and system) has used. Its a great app. I used it on my Droid Incredible running CyanogenMod 7.1 just now.
  10. Skates12

Skates12 New Member

I appreciate all the people who keep saying it CAN'T be Gingerbread, but do a web search and you'll see very quickly that this is a chronic problem affecting many customers.

My Pro is clean and had great battery life. The moment GB was installed, the battery drain was obvious.

I'm already tracking & when background data is enabled, it is pushing/pulling data constantly - at 4x my normal usage rate!

It is NOT an offending app, it is GB.
  11. google123

google123 New Member

Hmmmm well hope you get it figured out. Sucks that that your battery drains so fast with this data problem. I never had that problem when I had my Pro running GB. In fact, here is a screenshot of the kind of use I got out of mine. This was with the extended battery though but still.....

[​IMG]

http://db.tt/dM4LrYk
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  12. Skates12

Skates12 New Member

Thanks for the info - and I don't mean to be cranky - but I also have the extended battery and my Pro dies in 5 hours now.
  13. sculptedstylus

sculptedstylus New Member

This is what I've been doing on my Asus Transformer for quite a while...I get great battery life with it, and now I'm trying it on my DroidX. The only problem that I have is that it takes at least 20 seconds after tapping Data Manager to get to the Background Data setting. I also uncheck Enable Data while there! Anyone else experiencing this amount of time for the settings to come up? I should mention, though, I'm rooted and still on Froyo...and too chicken to install any ROMs.
  14. google123

google123 New Member

5 hours!!!???!?!? WTF????!!! I would be cranky too. Have you tried a factory reset? I would.
  15. Skates12

Skates12 New Member

I'm holding onto a reset as a last resort. Everything I'm reading online says that it isn't solving the problem for those who have tried it.

I'm hoping if enough customers complain, Google/Moto/VZ will address it.
  16. google123

google123 New Member

Just read this....its for a Droid X but can be done on a Pro as well. Recovery is accessible using Power + R +M.....

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  17. jpcalhoun

Skates12, I know this battery issue is about to drive you crazy...it would be also. I think the factory data reset process is the key to fixing the problem...here is why: It seems (not a scientific study mind you) that any Pro owner that had to do an sbf back to 2.26 in order to get the latest OTA update to Gingerbread is not experiencing the battery problem (I fall into this category). The reason is, I believe, is that part of the sbf process is having to clear cash in recovery mode and having to do a factory data reset. I know it is a PITA, but if you take your phone back to Verizon for troubleshooting or replacement that is exactly what they are going to do before giving you a replacement phone (and the replacement phone is probably going to be a pre-owned one). The most likely scenario is they will do the factory data reset and give you back the phone and tell you if that doesn't work bring the phone back. Save yourself a trip to Verizon...give factory data reset a shot if all else fails.
  18. bsweetness

bsweetness Moderator

Sage advice. That's exactly what will happen. And if it doesn't, then the rep you're dealing with isn't following procedures. It doesn't solve everything all the time, but a factory reset is the answer to so many problems. I flashed the 2.26 SBF and did a factory reset on the way to the OTA Gingerbread. I always reset everything before an update because it knocks out a lot of potential problems. Like jpcalhoun, I haven't experienced any battery issues on the OTA Gingerbread.
  19. Skates12

Skates12 New Member

This excerpt is an example of what I'm seeing online:

"Unfortunately, clearing the cache and doing the factory data reset does not appear to restore normal battery life for everyone (particularly the worst cases) -- for those with the worst case, this is their most serious problem with GB 2.3.3 UPDATE"

I'm going to be patient and do the brave thing; wait until some other Pro users try it and monitor their results :-D
  20. jpcalhoun

If you do find a "cure" for the battery issue please let us know. There are quite a few users experiencing the same problem.
Search tags for this page

android dialer battery drain

android dialer battery usage

android dialer killing battery
android dialer killing battery on ice cream sandwich
android gb dialer draining battery

dialer battery drain

droid incredible battery dialer
droid pro battery life fix
htc incredible dialer battery drain
motorola droid 4 battery replacement

why is dialer using battery android