Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'm going to give Straight Talk a try. To do so, I'm keeping my VZW account active for now & getting a new number from ST. They assured me I'll be able to port my number over later if I decide to stay.

I know how to forward calls from my VZW account, but is there an easy way to forward texts? I have an idea in my mind about a workaround involving the VZW messaging app. I had that setup on my tablet a long time ago, but I'd rather receive all texts in one place & prefer Google Messenger.

Anyone have any ideas?

I'm not opposed to putting my VZW sim in the old S3 & leaving it at home if there's an app I can install to have it forward to the 6P I'll be using to test the ST network & service.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Idk, but I'll look into it. Though I'm OK with having the s3 forward messages, I'd love to find a way to do it without. Don't want to keep it plugged in with the battery in, but not necessarily in love with the idea of having to charge it periodically.

I suppose if that's the only app it's running, might not be bad. Too bad it doesn't have marshmallow with doze. Would stay charged for a long time just sitting there. Haha

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
Textra does not do it but there are multiple apps in the play store that claim to

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'm seeing those apps. Guess I'll toss a dart & give one a try. Haha!

Hoping ST works for me. Could save $30/month or so & have double the data I have now with ability to struggle on 2G after that if I HAVE to. Doubt it'll come to that.

Trying to save money anywhere we can right now.

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Google voice?
It's not a GV number though. That'd be super easy, but I only use GV for voicemail. When I set it up, I got myself a number that wouldn't be long distance for family & friends back home. Now, they all have cell phones & that doesn't matter, but you know...

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Awesome, the Play Store is throwing me errors on the S3 while I attempt to download an SMS forwarding app. Can't even get to My Apps or anything...

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Alright. While I still wish there was a better way than leaving the S3 on all the time with my VZW sim, it looks like that's my only option.

Giving this app a try:
SMS Forwarder - Android Apps on Google Play

It worked just fine for my test message, so we'll see how it performs over time.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
All I keep seeing is SMS forwarder

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
All I keep seeing is SMS forwarder
Yeah. I've got that loaded on the s3 with my VZW sim card. Set it to forward everything along with names & numbers of the people who texted me to my 6p with straight talk sim.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
What about mighty text? You put your number in the application.

I use it to text from my tablet.

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
Yeah. I've got that loaded on the s3 with my VZW sim card. Set it to forward everything along with names & numbers of the people who texted me to my 6p with straight talk sim.

How seamless was it putting a ST SIM in your 6p? I'd like to see what the coverage is like here. But we have 18gb for 3 phones not sure ST offers that much.

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
What about mighty text? You put your number in the application.

I use it to text from my tablet.
Well why didn't you suggest that earlier? Haha! I thought about using the VZW messages app too. Same kinda thing. I guess then, I could respond from the number that will remain mine whether I port it over or stay with VZW. I kinda like the idea of keeping just one app for texting, but I suppose something like that would be easier than having to explain to everyone that this number is temporary.
How seamless was it putting a ST SIM in your 6p? I'd like to see what the coverage is like here. But we have 18gb for 3 phones not sure ST offers that much.

Initial activation was a breeze, but I had to contact support because I wasn't getting data. He had me turn the phone off while he did something. When I turned it back on, LTE.

As for the coverage, it's VZW coverage. My phone still says Verizon Wireless & my APN settings are all still Verizon's stuff.

As for the plans, idk what all they offer, but I don't know that they do shared data. For $55 a month, you get unlimited talk & text & 10GB of LTE (Then 2G speeds) for one line.

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
Well why didn't you suggest that earlier? Haha! I thought about using the VZW messages app too. Same kinda thing. I guess then, I could respond from the number that will remain mine whether I port it over or stay with VZW. I kinda like the idea of keeping just one app for texting, but I suppose something like that would be easier than having to explain to everyone that this number is temporary.

Initial activation was a breeze, but I had to contact support because I wasn't getting data. He had me turn the phone off while he did something. When I turned it back on, LTE.

As for the coverage, it's VZW coverage. My phone still says Verizon Wireless & my APN settings are all still Verizon's stuff.

As for the plans, idk what all they offer, but I don't know that they do shared data. For $55 a month, you get unlimited talk & text & 10GB of LTE (Then 2G speeds) for one line.

Thats pretty good. I might look into it.