Former Iphone Users

johnflo88

Reaction score
The iPhone has a better interface and sync setup for people who don't like to tinker with their phones. The iPhone, even a 3GS was slow and has screen lags where the Droid is quick. The iPhone dumps your apps when you switch out. The iPhone would fail to initiate a call about 40% of the time and I live where the signal is fine!! That was so friggin' annoying. The iPhone is clamped down, so the apps are very restrictive, the Droid is much better for openness. The Droid has a few little issues, but they'll get worked out. If you have Google Voice and use other Google services, the Droid is the only way to fly!!
sound like the droid invite you to explore and find your way.enjoy.:heart:The iphone on the other hand is like, you paid for the phone but i'll tell what do and i am in control.:icon_ devil:

LordKastle

Reaction score
I support Android during this generation of phones but I respect what Apple is doing. I don't like how Google is trying to gather all the information and data it can about every individual and company within every industry and put it in a nest-egg for their own dictatorship and disposal.

I'd rather see a raw Android device with choice rather than being forced to use GMail, Google Checkout, Google Voice, Google Nav, Google Maps, Google _______ fill in the blank.

I could possibly deal with just that but now with Google trying to produce their own phone, I hope they fall on their face. Apple and Microsoft haven't even tried to monopolize the industry like that. You may have a Microsoft OS but no "MS Phone".

Apple has a phone and its own OS but doesn't license it out for other companies to use. In all honesty "The Google Phone"...may be Android's first crack in the armor. If it is anything more than a pure data device, cell phone carriers will be sharpening their own blades and with all the money and backing, Microsoft may be back to wage war with Apple...both leaving Android in the dust.

Google - stick to search engines and email. Stay out of my life.

xjman349

Reaction score
For me

AT&T < Verizon.

Thats all I needed to change phones.

sixtytwo

Reaction score
I just got rid of my iPhone two days ago. Here's my take on the ups and downs of moving to the droid:

The good:
- The screen is absolutely gorgeous. The pixels are so dense that I can read websites without zooming in at all.
- The physical keyboard is awesome. I spend a lot of time typing emails, mostly work related, and work involves a lot of acronyms and terminology that doesn't show up in the touchscreen keyboard's dictionary. It's good to have a keyboard that doesn't second guess me
- I like how the OS doesn't treat me like I'm a little kid. The iPhone's OS is pretty user friendly, but I think it's also patronizing. The fact that I couldn't use my phone as a USB drive, and the fact that I could only sync it with one computer really irritated me.
- Verizon has better coverage than at&t, and it doesn't drop every third call. Yes, my iphone was dropping one out of three calls. Maybe it's the phone, maybe it's att, but at this point I could care less, since I let my dollars do the talking.

The bad:
- The Droid's UI is choppier. While the iPhone 3g, and especially the 3gs have excellent framerates for UI animations, android is much choppier. Maybe it's because the Droid's screen has that many more pixels, but it's something Motorola or Google may want to look at optimizing.
- The built in apps seem to lack polish. Just look at the gallery app, or the music player, or even the browser. They work fine, but they don't work nearly as well as their counterparts on the iPhone.
- The Droid is just worse for music and video in general. Say what you will about iTunes, but it is a centralized place where all your music and videos are. You can simply drag and drop your media on your phone. All the while, video playing on the Droid is quite literally an afterthought because it has no built in video player (that I can find)

Overall, I think that divorcing at&t and paying out the early termination alimony was worth it. The iPhone is a solid platform, with a lot of apps, but none of the apps, downloadable or built in, were good at doing the four things I need to do the most: calling, emails, texts, and browsing. Calls were dropped constantly, emails had to be tapped on glass, texts were in this cutsy, but featureless "speech-bubble" interface that had time stamps every 2 hours, and browsing had to be done on a network that barely worked, if ever. I'd seriously be looking at the spinner next to the "3g" emblem on the iPhone for entire minutes waiting for sites to load, and that was with full bars.

As for the Droid, it's just about everything that I could have wanted in a phone. I'm not worried about things like video playing, and a choppy browser because I have alternative applications I can download. This is simply not true for the iPhone, where no 3rd party apps can compete with the 1st party features. Where the hell was this phone last summer, when I decided to take the plunge with the iPhone?

OP
arty2hottie

arty2hottie

Reaction score
Nothing more annoying than waiting for a page to load on slow internet. I could only imagine how frustrating that would be on a network that struggles. I wouldn't care how fancy my phone was.

droidfreak

Reaction score
We have both in our house. I like the iphone, but I like the Droid better. It is way faster than my iphone. Also AT&T is the absolute worst. That alone is enough to scrap the iphone. I am so sick of dropped calls as well as "call failed". At&t suks. I do not why anyone would use them.

kestrel55

Reaction score
No one ever mentions the difference in the quality of the speakerphones. I can actually watch movies or listen to music with my Droid. With my 3rd gen Itouch (I won at work), the speakerphone is essentially worthless.

altjx

Reaction score
i'll be on my way to the droid too. AT&T coverage here is excellent, but I overlook that cause i don't talk much. i refuse to pay them anymore than what i'm paying them now, and they want $36 for employee discount enrollment? $10 for turn by turn navigation? $10 to add "parental controls" per month?? so that i can block calls? ridiculous

i wouldnt be surprised if AT&T said they'd give me free service for 2 months, if i paid them $300 right now.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Nothing the iPhone has makes up for the crap network it is on.....Nothing....

altjx

Reaction score
besides the network, would u switch over still? im just so tired of the iPhone lol its boring...

Last edited:

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
besides the network, would u switch over still? im just so tired of the iPhone lol its boring...

Me? Personally I never seen what the draw was for the iPhone...But Not a fan of Apple in general....

altjx

Reaction score
Me? Personally I never seen what the draw was for the iPhone...But Not a fan of Apple in general....

oh ok, lol

im calling them now, gonna see if they want anything for down payment. im hoping they say $0 like sprint did :(

Last edited:

pdxrealtor

Reaction score
Well... I've had an iPhone since the day it came out. 2g, 3g, and 3gs. While on our yearly trip to Cancun I took a swim in the ocean with the 3gs. When ATT wouldn't work with me on replacement cost and only 3 months till renewal I made the decision to try an Android based phone and get a touch for the apps/songs in iTunes.

Today is my first day with the Droid... I like it so far. To me (keep in mind I've been away for awhile) the droid is like a supercharged improvement of Windows Mobile.

My main goal is email with the ability to read, copy, and save attachments- text, MMS, and make calls.

The 3gs was getting so boring..... I can get a touch if I want to show off my pictures or listen to songs or watch movies. I really could not think of one reason I needed my iPhone for business... not one.

And the radio chipset in the iPhone has been flawed since day one. It will not switch from 3g to Edge without dropping a call....all this and the iPhone is the most expensive device on the market for phones.

altjx

Reaction score
yeah i agree... when i had the palm pre i really didnt see myself needing the iphone for anything. i was able to do everything just through the browser, might've took an extra second or two of course, but it was a lot of relief for some reason

cant wait til this iphone sells though, im definitely switching over.

kman79

Reaction score
Was an Ex-Iphone user up until a month ago.

Honestly, there is nothing about the actual iPhone that I miss! I really think it was a switch for the better, and the only thing I wish the Droid had that my iPhone has is the ability to plug into my Alpine Radio in the car and use the radio for navigation.

I hardly doubt Alpine or any other manufacturer is going to give that kind of support to the motorola Droid, which dissapoints me a little, simply because I'd rather not have to buy an iPod Nano.

In terms of the phone, the Droid to me really seems to do everything the iPhone did, but better and simpler. The other day, I typed in a website on the browser and hit enter, I got a text message right after I hit enter, hit quick reply on Handcent, sent a text, and went back the browser and the page was done loading. On the iPhone, that page would have stopped loading and you'd still be waiting on it. I know it's trivial, but it made me smile and realize how being able to have apps run in the background is cool.

Another small thing is personalization of the phone. You have GDE, Home++, Panda and all other home alternatives with Android, you have none of that with the iPhone without having to jump through hoops.

The service, this is a big thing to me, this is probably more about Verizon and not so much the Droid. I live in Houston and work at one of the hospitals at the med center. I have signal everywhere I go with the Droid, didn't have it with the Iphone. I know suposedly ATT 3G is faster, but I swear, Verizon 3G seems faster.

I liked the Apple, I'm a Macbook Pro owner/user, but I really like the Droid and unless Apple does something really new and different with the next iPhone, I'm sticking to Android.