Former Iphone Users

jrl9851

Reaction score
Did any of you have the older iphones and have they come a long way? Just think where the droid could be in 6 months after all the bugs have been ironed out.

I've had all three iphones. For it being out 3 years, it didn't come a long way at all.

From the original iphone to the iphone 3GS, the only thing new is a video camera, better camera, and faster (not by much either). That's it.

Foolish

Reaction score
I used to have an iphone and actually lived in a place that had decent att service.....I know freaky and we weremt even on the frickin att postcard commercial.......anyways. the truth is the only thing I can good about the iphone is the screen transitions seems a little smoother, not by much though, and the apps. I can live with a minute difference in lag and the apps are catching up fast. I love my droid its great. I think the only thing truly great about the iphone is the fact that you can jb it to do all the things the droid can already. Not to mention I was paying 120 a month for my iphone. I sold it bought a droid and two rogues and made 300 dollars b/c of mail in rebates and now pay about 110 amonth for two phone how you like them apples att.....

boputnam

Reaction score
...... almost makes you feel sorry for Apple "a noble company"... too bad they linked up with At&T!
I felt the same way until yesterday's article in the NY Times. Reportedly, the AT&T network is fine (and perhaps superior to Verizon's), but the iPhone has real inefficiencies and issues with it's use of the network. There are no "work arounds" - it would take a do-over by iPhone.

Net-net, the Droid on Verizon simply works much, much better. :)

windstrings

Reaction score
I've had all three iphones. For it being out 3 years, it didn't come a long way at all.

From the original iphone to the iphone 3GS, the only thing new is a video camera, better camera, and faster (not by much either). That's it.

Iphone dropped the ball big time on their camera.....

Many companies including Apple and Microsoft don't have any motivation to be their own best competition and put things on the market that supersede what they already produce "unless" the market is saturated and they need to put a new frame on the same old car and sell it as new. Hence Microsoft!

Google on the other hand keeps surprising us over and over...After conquering the internet search engine area, they have moved onto and into so many areas I don't care to name them all.... just log onto your page and hit "more".

The Cell phone market is only the beginning of this Giant.. I expect them to create their on OS and get into computers, TV's you name it... they have lots of money to invest and no one better to invest it in besides themselves.

Stock holders scoffed at the price of Google and said thats crazy it will surely come down... and it only goes up!

I keep telling my friends jokingly, "Google will some day take over the world"... they have that spirit of entrepreneurship that no other company I can think of has.

Hey.. maybe someday they will start by buying Africa and make something out of that country!... they will rename it "AGoogle"! :icon_eek:

Where will Apple be in all this?.. they can buy an Island and call it "AnApple"

sloppy

Reaction score
Iphone = an ipod with the possibility of a phone every once and a while. Smooth fluid operation but I can get the same thing from my touch without the 150 bill.

Droid = A smartphone that does everything my iphone did plus it makes calls. I also have found comparable programs to everything I used on my iphone. When you consider the customization and access there really is no comparison.

The Droid may not be the Iphone killer but they really are two different machines the Droid is a true Smartphone the Iphone is really more of a entertainment portal than anything the lack of customization and access is again a clear vision of this.

I loved my iphone but the service was horrid. They should be known as the metro phone if your not in one your limited in a big way. I am sure this will begin to change in time but time is something I don't have a lot of.

Ott

Reaction score
I keep telling my friends jokingly, "Google will some day take over the world"... they have that spirit of entrepreneurship that no other company I can think of has.

Hey.. maybe someday they will start by buying Africa and make something out of that country!... they will rename it "AGoogle"! :icon_eek:

Where will Apple be in all this?.. they can buy an Island and call it "AnApple"

You sir, are a genius.

techknight

Reaction score
I realize this is a Droid forum and therefore privy to pro-droid comments, however, I've owned all three versions of the iPhone from pretty much the beginning. I've owned my Droid for over a month now. The Droid is great and it does a lot things really well. However, I'll say one thing - if the next generation iPhone increases to a bigger screen (I love my 854x400) and includes background application processing. I'll be seriously looking at switching back.

Erron

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I have had all 3 iphones as well. I am a developer for iphone. Yes, a higher res screen would help. they would also need a better camera. And how about build quality? There are tons of iphone users that have had bad units. Then there is the network. ATT flat out stinks. I had att for so long I just accepted it as fact I would have to call someone 4 times or so to get it to connect once.

As far as my impression of the droid...it needs a little work. Overall a great phone. The market is the biggest problem. It is organized horribly. You cannot find an app really easy if it is a theme based app.

The speed of it, the screen, the quality and the network are all amazing. I say it is ahead of the current iphone, and probably on par with the next gen. That being said...then it comes to the network. We know who wins that.

I realize this is a Droid forum and therefore privy to pro-droid comments, however, I've owned all three versions of the iPhone from pretty much the beginning. I've owned my Droid for over a month now. The Droid is great and it does a lot things really well. However, I'll say one thing - if the next generation iPhone increases to a bigger screen (I love my 854x400) and includes background application processing. I'll be seriously looking at switching back.

techknight

Reaction score
I have had all 3 iphones as well. I am a developer for iphone. Yes, a higher res screen would help. they would also need a better camera. And how about build quality? There are tons of iphone users that have had bad units. Then there is the network. ATT flat out stinks. I had att for so long I just accepted it as fact I would have to call someone 4 times or so to get it to connect once.

As far as my impression of the droid...it needs a little work. Overall a great phone. The market is the biggest problem. It is organized horribly. You cannot find an app really easy if it is a theme based app.

The speed of it, the screen, the quality and the network are all amazing. I say it is ahead of the current iphone, and probably on par with the next gen. That being said...then it comes to the network. We know who wins that.

Build quality is an issue with every device. Plenty of our fellow droiders on this forum have had exchanges or defective units. Honestly, I've read about problems with every phone released in the last few years. So, I'm not sure why you're brining that up. In my experience, I've never had to exchange an iPhone, but did so with my Droid a couple weeks ago. Was it a big deal? Nope. In and out in twenty minutes.

I do see your point about the network. I get great AT&T coverage here in western washington mostly, but when I travel its spotty at best. Verizon is pretty solid no matter where I am. So, +1 to the droid experience there.

OP
arty2hottie

arty2hottie

Reaction score
Anyone not like the droid compared to the iphone. For the most part it seems you former iphone users either like it the same or the Droid more. You guys have me sold just trying to convert my wife.

Last edited:

bass_lover1

Reaction score
I've had a first gen iPhone and a 3GS. There are a few things that I miss from the iPhone, but I would imagine that since Android is still in it's infancy that some of my qualms will be fixed later on.

The biggest feature I miss from the iPhone is push notifications, not just in email but for applications as well.

Apple's fix for no apps running in the background is push notifications. Instead of an app polling the network at a set time interval, it works just like your push email, you are notified nearly instantaneously. This is really great for sports apps so you get the score updates instantly, instead of 15-30 minutes later.

Otherwise, I'm glad to be free of the iPhone it really isn't that special. A cool gadget, but a pretty ****ty phone.

VitsDroid

Reaction score
i have an ipod touch that i think is fantastic, i still use it to sync bento, wish bento came to android and that would just be awesome. the other thing i like is the games on the touch.

Give me Bento and some awesome games and my Droid will be complete.

i know this is about iphone but the touch is the iphone - att = ipod touch = great device

mDroid + Verizon = awesome smartphone

johnflo88

Reaction score
I put my new droid next to my iphone 3gs and the iphone now looks old and boring. I can never look at the iphone the same way anymore lol.

I just love everything about the droid better. There's just no other way to put in. In my opinion, it takes everything the iphone does and does it better. The screen is better, battery is WAY better, speaker is better, call quality is better, android market is better (I don't need 90,000 apps if 90% of them are fart noises and buttons that say "that's what she said"), camera is better, GPS is WAY better, etc.

I just love everything about the droid.
so glad to hear that and i am in the transition of switching my iphone 3g too.