1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Former Blackberry tinkerer about to step into the realm of Droid mods

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by AndyR83, May 5, 2010.

1. AndyR83

AndyR83 New Member

Hello all,

I was a long term Blackberry Storm user before getting my Droid a few months ago. I've held off on tinkering with it thus far, largely because I didn't know how. I'm once again gotten the itch to start messing with things. The stock 2.1 is a bit sluggish and I find myself frequently frustrated with my phone.

I'm wondering if anybody can help me bridge the gap from Blackberry Storm tweaking to Moto Droid. With my Storm, I knew all about backing up my contacts and messages (there was a program that backed everything up without much trouble) and knew what software to use to wipe the phone, what OS versions (usually leaked) were best, etc. The real advantage I found to loading new OS' on the Storm was that I could eliminate all the crap that was normally included and programs I didn't use, which freed up lots of memory and boosted performance.

So, as I read through all the stickies and various threads here trying to gather the courage to start messing with this phone, has anybody else made this same transition and have any words of wisdom to offer? I.E. What "OS version" (or whatever the equivelant term is for Droid) I should be looking for ,what tools I should download, other gems I should know coming from the background I describe?

Thanks!
  2. dlwhtrose

dlwhtrose Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
  3. AndyR83

AndyR83 New Member

So far I have rooted and figured out backups/made a backup image. I'm getting ready to install a custom ROM and see how I like it. going to try Buglessbeast.

I guess what I'm really looking for is some cool stuff I can do now that I've rooted. I found a thread in a sticky that was about this but after about a dozen pages of it it seemed to only say that you can rename unwanted system files to get rid of them, which I've done. any other cool stuff I can do?
  4. dlwhtrose

Well as you can see I am running CyanogenMod as my ROM and I have Smoked Glass as my theme. I have heard that Cyano is one of the most stable ROMs. I have not had any problems and I was having lots of lags and issues with my Droid when it was stock after the 2.1 OTA. I have also transformed my battery indicator to a round colored one to match my desktop. I also have downloaded the colored pull down notification bar. All of these can be found in the Themes section of the forum, just search round battery indicator and (I think) colored notification. Basically you can find a lot of information in the Themes section on the different roms and their themes.
  5. dlwhtrose

Also don't forget about your Kernel ...... I understand that some kernels don't work with certain ROMs. So do research on the kernels. Also, get an app from the market called "SetUp CPU" This will allow you to set up your CPU and set profiles so that you don't kill your battery. I know that there are threads out there in the Hacks section that discuss different settings on the CPU.
  6. bamfsig45

bamfsig45 New Member

I recommend Rom Manager (in the market if you dont already have it) and then you can try the majority of the Roms with ease and simplicity.

I have used Cyanogen and it was great...no issues. I switched to Petes Bugless v1.0 to check it out and its the smoothest thing Ive ever used. But I would go back to Cyanogen in a heart beat if I needed to.

Also in Petes BuglessBeast v1.0 he has custom scripts installed that will remove apps that are not needed by using a command line in Terminal.
  7. NoKz

NoKz New Member

CM is a great first time user ROM. It's rock solid and shouldn't give you any issues. Bugless Beast is also a great one. Those 2 seem to be my favorite out of all the ROMs I've tested.