Forgive me for this rant...

Reaction score
Please forgive me for this.

I just want to say the idea of splitting the memory up the way they did for the Droid Bionic is single handedly the worst idea ever to come to Android. Not only can I not access any of the other sections from my PC (SD card alone or in phone) but I also cannot transfer files that are misplaced by the system into the appropriate file that is stuck on another partition. I absolutely hate this. I loved the phone up until this point. Unfortunately I suffer from a slight case of OCD and not being able to figure things out is a major ticker. What set this off? Kindle. I have a nice little collection of books I like to read on my Droid X. EVERY SINGLE ONE of them loaded just fine to the app. But now the system has two different Kindle files on the SD card, one I can access to add files and one I can't. Guess which one I need? I can't even move them over using Astro. Great job on screwing this one up.

End Rant.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thank you all for listening. Right after I posted my rant I downloaded Linda File Manager and was able to successfully copy and paste the contents of the SD-EXT/Kindle files over to the SD/Kindle. Still a little irritated by this horrible design though.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thanks for pointing out Linda File Manager. It's much better than Astro and ES Explorer.

Hopefully the issue will be fixed in the next update.

IRSmurf

Reaction score
I would also like to kick the man who decided to partition the internal memory this way square in the nuts.

I hope a future update makes the user accessible SD card into Android's "SD card." But the middle manager buffoon who made this decision will probably never allow the change. These Gameloft games are huge and don't slow me to choose between "SD card" and "Media."

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Speeding Wheels

Reaction score
it's actually fairly logical when you sit down and think about it.
problem is it's a feature only advanced computer users would understand out of the box.

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
I think once the SD card prob is fixed, you will find it a lot more intuitive as far as managing everything on the phone.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
The thing is, I don't believe that this sd-card thing is actually a "bug" or a "problem" - the Bionic's filesystem layout is identical to what you would see on a Honeycomb tablet. The most likely reason for what we are seeing here is that it was necessary to make the device "Ice Cream Sandwich ready" out of the box. The only thing is, Motorola should have made us aware of this; and disabled app storage on the sdcard until ICS comes out.

AndyMcDroid

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure this problem stems from the fact that there are multiple physical media in the phone - each necessarily mounted separately. There's no way to make it appear as one cohesive storage location - at least not when one of the media is removable.

I think the poor decision came (before the Bionic) when someone decided to mount the non-removable location as "sdcard" and mount the removable location as "sdcard-ext". This gave the removable SD card a different name than on earlier devices. At this point I think that Motorola is just continuing the trend (which they possibly started) in order to maintain compatibility.

IMO when multiple physical media first appeared in Android devices, the removable storage should have been mounted as "sdcard", and the internal storage mounted as "sdcard-int".

Nyteravyn

Reaction score
Here is a thought...instead of being upset because a device, not of our personal making, doesn't work the way we think it should?... Engage the brain and open the mind to new possibilities... And... We may touch upon the brilliance of those that were actually able to put thought into form...
Fear, anger and aggravation stem from our own inadequacy as attested to by there absence in those that succeed...
Cheers to the OP that demonstrated this by finding the solution to his/her issue.
Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Bear in NM

Reaction score
I know I have posted this before, but I think it is a great idea, for one reason. I have a few gigabites of storage native to the phone that is above and beyond a 32 gig card, the max available to the phone (and current technology). I am sure once the app developers catch up to the new system we will have some of the bugs ironed out, but as has been posted, this seesm like a better path to the future, as it allows the phone makers to produce a phone with native OS storage memory that is not limited, as the micro-sd cards are. I'll take those extra gigs of storage memory, thank you.

Craig

OP
D
Reaction score
Maybe it isn't all that bad of an idea. It's just completely inconvenient now. The apps on the phone don't even know what to do with it. Hence why Kindle kept placing it on both extensions. But I will admit that I was just a bit frustrated about everything not working right. I am still a bit irritated but I hope they can fix this and work on everything so that it actually works as a whole.

DessoThumbs

Reaction score
I'm an old school DOS guy and just getting my head around the file system of honeycomb on my tablet made my head hurt.

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
I'm an old school DOS guy and just getting my head around the file system of honeycomb on my tablet made my head hurt.

Same here... haven't tried honeycomb yet, but now you got me worried :)

10: ?"My name is Shadez"
20: goto 10

sigh