Force GPS to update??!?

OP
A

altjx

Reaction score
Standstill. I'll try it while driving tomorrow and report back.

Ok, thanks. Because for me, the standstill one works pretty accurately although the blue bubble still covers a large area. It's when I'm driving that it does not update fast enough for me.

skennelly

Reaction score
My guess is it's a Motorola problem. My Droid X took forever to lock in. So long that I'd often have to pull off the road and wait. I had to use GPS Fix to speed it up. My GS3 however, locks in in seconds.

*Sent from my Galaxy to yours through tapatalk

brucefulton

Reaction score
My razr max seldom has problems with this, but my wife's Samsung Charge often has this exact problem locking onto satellites and showing only the tower large blue circle. So I don't think it is a motorola vs samsung issue. Actual GPS reception doesn't use 3g/4g or wifi. Maps may use 3g/4g towers or wifi for approximate (big blue circle) readings while waiting for gps lock, so there may be some software isues. At times when I have problems with maps, however, I also have problems with the gps locator on geocaching and compass apps. Location and atmospheric conditions may affect GPS reception. Dedicated GPS receivers undoubtedly have more robust GPS receiver circuits.

My guess is it's a Motorola problem. My Droid X took forever to lock in. So long that I'd often have to pull off the road and wait. I had to use GPS Fix to speed it up. My GS3 however, locks in in seconds.

niteperson

Reaction score
Smart actions uses WiFi for location, and doesn't work reliably for me either. I've finally given up and use time frame for my trigger.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Is this still the case? I was able to enter an address for a location and added my home address. I then set the action to turn wifi on and data off when I got home. It SEEMS to work but, come to think of it, I'm not sure if wifi ever got turned off when I left home. It may have stayed on and just got picked up when I pulled in the driveway. As an experiment, I added my work address as a location and set an action to turn wifi off, data on and silent on. I'll see if it works tomorrow.

I don't believe I was able to do anything like this before, and don't really know how it now tracks location. It would almost have to be GPS, wouldn't it?

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
It was the same for me last week, but I've updated to .215 a few days ago and I'll check tomorrow.

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
GPS status free on play store...

I use it time to time to "refresh" the GPS if need. Especially after switching roms or OTA updates.

Running the app also lets you see the number of satellites your bouncing off of..

----posted MAXXED OUT WITH dessert----

OP
A

altjx

Reaction score

GPS Fix? Do you have to load this every time you want to use maps?

My razr max seldom has problems with this, but my wife's Samsung Charge often has this exact problem locking onto satellites and showing only the tower large blue circle. So I don't think it is a motorola vs samsung issue. Actual GPS reception doesn't use 3g/4g or wifi. Maps may use 3g/4g towers or wifi for approximate (big blue circle) readings while waiting for gps lock, so there may be some software isues. At times when I have problems with maps, however, I also have problems with the gps locator on geocaching and compass apps. Location and atmospheric conditions may affect GPS reception. Dedicated GPS receivers undoubtedly have more robust GPS receiver circuits.

Thanks for clarifying this for me.

GPS status free on play store...

I use it time to time to "refresh" the GPS if need. Especially after switching roms or OTA updates.

Running the app also lets you see the number of satellites your bouncing off of..

----posted MAXXED OUT WITH dessert----

Thanks. Is this basically a working workaround, or another thing that works periodically?

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2.