For your safety, please enter your PIN

silverfang77

Reaction score
I sometimes run into this upon waking my phone. I know you have to enter the PIN when you first turn the phone on or after a reboot, but why the random requirement after just cooking out of standby?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

OP
silverfang77

silverfang77

Reaction score
When I first wake up, it doesn't require me to enter my PIN. It just let's me use my fingerprint to unlock it. The PIN requirement seems to happen randomly.

If I have Smart Lock enabled (such as trusted places or on body), does having the phone lock upon pressing the power key override that?

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I'm not 100% sure. I use smart Lock always and my PIN requirement doesn't seem to always follow the guidelines in that Google support page. After a reboot....yes. some mornings after sleeping yes, and other mornings....No

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

OP
silverfang77

silverfang77

Reaction score
I had the same problem on my LG V20 after the 8.0 update. Was hoping it was the phone rather than the OS.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I don't really consider it a problem. It's a security thing. I'm just not sure that Google has updated their websites with all the current times that Android requires a PIN, Pattern or Password to unlock when smart Lock is turned on.

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
Smart Lock doesn't always work for me either. It's good most of the time but I've had issues with it both on my G7 and my Moto Z which gets me thinking it's an OS issue.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I haven't had any real issues with Smart Lock functionality in itself. I have multiple Trusted Devices, including my watch, and the smart unlock has always worked well for me using trusted devices. Buy I have noticed sporadically that Android prompts me to unlock with my Pattern from time to time; and these times don't always coincide with Google's official "when you have to manually unlock" guidelines. I'll blame it in the little gremlins running around inside our phones.