For those having email issues using AOL

Discussion in 'Droid RAZR' started by Ansa82, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Ansa82

Ansa82 New Member

I finally called the verizon techs today since I've been having so many emails issues. Turns out they've been getting plenty of calls from AOL users and have found out that AOL isn't compatible with the ics android system. verizon has notified AOL but its likely to be a long time until its resolved. Seems crazy since ICS isn't new! only new to us razr users!
  2. SallyC

SallyC Well-Known Member

I'm not an AOL user, but this is pretty interesting. Thanks for posting this - I'm sure it will be helpful to some others.
  3. Ansa82

Ansa82 New Member

I'm hoping aol will figure it out sooner rather than later but I'm not counting on it.
  4. SallyC

SallyC Well-Known Member

I started poking around and found what's below here on Motorola's site. Hopefully it will work for you:

For Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) users.
    Follow the steps listed below to set up your personal email account.
    If for any reason, your email account is not listed here, or you are having problems with your email account, please contact your email provider for assistance.
    Adding an Email Account
    1. From the home screen touch [​IMG] > Settings > Accounts & Sync
    2. Tap Add Account > Email
    [​IMG]
    3. Select Other from the email accounts screen.
    [​IMG]
    4. Enter the username and password.
    If you are unsuccessful with setting up your account automatically, touch Other from the email accounts, enter your email address and password and touch Manual setup, and use the manual settings below:
    Email Manual Settings
    Server Type: POP3
    1. Enter your username
    2. Enter your password
    3. Enter POP3 server - pop.aol.com
    4. Enter Port - 995
    5. Tap Next
    6. Enter SMTP server - smtp.aol.com
    7. Enter Port - 587
    8. Enter your username (complete email address including the @aol.com)
    9. Enter your password
    10. Tap Next
    To setup AOL/AIM as an IMAP account:
    1. Enter your username
    2. Enter your password
    3. Enter IMAP Server - imap.aol.com or imap.aim.com
    4. Enter Port - 993 (or 143)
    5. Tap Next
    6. Enter SMTP server - smtp.aol.com or smtp.aim.com
    7. Enter Port - 465 (or 587)
    8. Enter your username (complete email address including the @aol.com or aim.com)
    9. Enter your password
    10. Tap Next
    If email does not connect after using settings listed above and confirming correct password, try entering AOL username without "@aol.com" or "@aim.com".
    You can visit AOL's help page on this subject by clicking here
    For optimum features and functionality, AOL recommends accessing your email account via your phone's mobile web browser. Enter http://m.mail.aol.com in your phone's browser or visit Smartphone Apps, Mobile Applications, Mobile Phone Apps - AOL Mobile to get instructions.
  5. jaybogg

jaybogg Member

I use a little known ISP (centurylink) because I have used it for years and don't want to change. I too could not connect when I first got my razr. I went into my PC mail program and looked up the settings and copied them using the same manual method SallyC posted from Moto.

The two things that:biggrin: ICS tried to autofill that were incorrect were:

1. in STEP 4 above autofilled with: POP3.centurylink.com
    Should have Been: POP.centurylink.com, "3" left out, same as AOL requires

2 in STEP 7 above autofilled with: 110
    Should have Been: 995, same as AOL requires

The reason I am posting this is to let people know that it is not only AOL that has this problem, and that it can easily be fixed by looking into your PC's mail account if you have one. Also, most ISP's have a web page with these instructions. I do not use AOL, so I am not sure if they do or not. Hope this might help someone in the future.:biggrin:
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  6. SallyC

SallyC Well-Known Member

Good to know, jaybogg! Glad the post was able to get you on the right track and good work!
  7. jaybogg

jaybogg Member

I actually had the problem back in late Jan/early Feb, when I first purchased my Razr and the saleslady @ VZW couldn't set up my mail account at the time of purchase. I came home and looked up my settings on my PC as described.
  8. TOMMYBOT

TOMMYBOT Member

Lol AOL
    Sorry I had to.
    Hope that fix works for ya

sent from my leaked ics bionic using tapatalk 2
  9. TitanJaw

TitanJaw New Member

it's a FIX!

I was also having issues since the last update to my phone with aol mail. I was unable to delete the AOL account for mail so I could setup as "other." Until tonight........

BEWARE! This procedure will also remove other accounts listed with the aol account. (but you can always get them back again by redoing the setup)

go to your homescreen and click menu > settings > application manager > slide the top over to ALL > mail > clear the data and the cache.

Now you have no mail accounts listed. Setup aol mail as described above as other and you should be good to go. It first told me that it couldn't find the server, but when I backed out and went back to email, lo and behold! There it was! downloading all the messages from AOL. I'm sure glad all my other mail is through the Yahoo and Gmail apps! :p
  10. misselle

misselle New Member

i was having problem syncing after i set up my AOL account on my GS3, it kept saying disabled.

i went into the home screen, dragged down the top bar (where the battery, signal, notifications etc are) on this screen there is a menu at the top, wifi, gps, sound, screen rotation etc. slide to the right and there is a "sync" button. i clicked it and everything is working fine now. i didnt need to change my aol settings at all.

hope this helps some people :)
Search tags for this page

aol email not working on galaxy s3

aol email not working on samsung galaxy s3

aol email on android

aol email on galaxy s3
aol email on samsung galaxy s3
aol email settings android

aol mail on galaxy s3

galaxy s3 aol problem

samsung galaxy s3 aol email

samsung galaxy s3 aol email not syncing