For RK King Kong.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Before we begin let me start by saying rooting is not the end all solution, rooting does void your warranty and the results of adding roms can cause issues with your device.

things you should do before rooting:

1) make sure you are familiar with your device and have had it for a bit. This will allow you to assess if a problem is because of the rom or the device.

2) Read, Read, Read, and ask questions. I rarely jump into a rom because it is "HOT". I will wait a few days and see if people are having problems with a particular rom. If 20/25 people are having issues with email because of the rom then I will probably have that same problem.

3) Immediately after you root Make a nandroid back up. This is important because you need to be able to go back if something goes wrong or if you just dont like the rom.

I will begin starting with the next post

RK KINGKONG

Reaction score
Thank you

thats awesome of you to do this , and your right I do read but use GOOGLE as reference like hell ,cause of all the diff terms and all. sometimes still not understanding all but enough . looking forward to working with my DX . I wanna basically get the beginning basics , to get a boot animation & change status bar icons with colors n all . me being here is like window shopping when you cant afford it . I see plenty nice phones , makes you want one like it you know ?

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
How to root:

I am going to share 2 methods.

Method 1) using terminal emulator:
(from Eousporos)

get your files from here: Droid 2
also download and get the sbf program set up before you flash a rom just in case

method 1 to root

So if your like me, the idea of having to use a computer to root your phone just seems like to much of a hassle to bother with. Well good news everyone! I now have a method for rooting that shiny new phone from the phone itself.

So first things first, go get the usual suspects

rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
su
Superuser.apk
Some sort of terminal emulator, there are a couple of free ones in the market.
And until myself or someone who is less lazy rolls a version of rage that doesn't check for adb you will have to enable USB debugging.

Settiings -> applications -> development -> USB debugging.

The links for these guys are in this forum and I'm lazy. Now get those guys on your phone however best you see fit. Most likely they will end up in /sdcard or /sdcard/downloads. Finally, here is the meat.
* EDIT: any line below that starts with a * is optional

- open up your favorite terminal emulator program
- cd /tmp
- cp /sdcard/rage*.bin /tmp/
- chmod 777 rage*.bin
- ./rage*.bin
- ignore it's output, we are thinking outside of the box here, just wait for it to finish and return a $
- now go to settings -> applications -> manage applications -> running -> terminal and force close that girlie
- relaunch the terminal app and you should be greeted with the friendly # symbol. Toda you now have a root shell
- the rest is pretty much the same.
- mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
- cp /sdcard/Superuser.apk /system/app/Superuser.apk
- cp /sdcard/su /system/bin/su
* cp /sdcard/busybox /system/bin/busybox
- chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
* chmod 4755 /system/bin/busybox
- mount -o ro,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
- exit

Once your all done, go ahead and reboot your phone. Good luck and happy hacking. If I get bored I'll explain why this works, if I get really bored I'll turn this into a one click app

* EDIT: Undoing the damage, if you decide to unroot.

- open your trusty terminal app
- you should see a $ symbol, now do the following
- su
- now you should see a # symbol
- mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
- rm /system/app/Superuser.apk
- rm /system/bin/su
* rm /system/bin/busybox
- mount -o ro,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
- reboot your phone. Toda, no more root

Method 2:
this uses adb and pushes it for you :

[video=youtube;SuaXu8kusvA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuaXu8kusvA&feature=player_embedded[/video]

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
^ either method will get you the same results.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
My bad I posted for the d2 for give me I will post dx

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
the files for root are the same but the sbf is different

Droid X

RK KINGKONG

Reaction score
its cool

yeah I have the DROID X running the stock 2.2 update . its a virgin had for about 3 months now . Seeing everyones phones here makes this eye candy lol

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
After you root get the bootstrap recovery app from the market. After you install it go into the app and click bootstrap and look for success.

Also Install rom manager now this tool is mainly to be used to boot into recovery and to name and make a backup. Free version will work fine. Open rom manager and flash recovery click your device (droid x).

after you install rom manager make a nandroid backup.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Next I HIGHLY recommend titanium backup premium version. Back up your apps with it. Also the bloat apps that we all want to delete use it to freeze them. AFter you freeze an app and reboot the phone its gone. Its still in your system files but its empty weight that is not running. I freeze apps because when you do an ota it looks for those apps. If you delete them you will have to use sbf just for the ota to go through.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
We can not post the sbf file but I will post the link:

DX SBF for the current 2.2 2.3.15 is here:

Home

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
RK ill add some here too in a bit just give me a bit :)

Sent from my DROIDX

RK KINGKONG

Reaction score
all I need

I only need the sbf file thats it ? not the rsd or rsd lite or the sbf mirror / also does it matter im running windows 7 64bit ? i seen someone there made a comment saying "this way doesnt seem to like windows 7 64 bit"
apologies if it seems im asking too much , but you know how the saying goes a stupid question is one not asked, and THANK YOU TOO ABE

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The sbf and rsdlite is to get you back to factory stock. This is like the last ditch effort if things go south. I have it on my laptop ready even though I dont need it cuz of the nandroid backup. I dont like to wait for an oh crap moment to have to get it set up.

You need the rsdlite and sbf file posted on roozwiki home page. Again we can not post it here so please go there and follow the instructions.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
taken from PM

RK KINGKONG said:
so when you overclock your phone , it makes it run faster and smoother basically . ? I really want to root my DX basically to change the boot animation and like the status icons & colors . plus to learn and hopefully help my friends eventually.

overclocking is making the processor run faster which will allow you to run your phone faster.
heres a thread about OCing the Droid 1. just to help explain what it is
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/rescue-squad-guides/47871-overclocking-101-a.html

let us know if you have any more questions

RK KINGKONG

Reaction score
i hope i didnt do anything wrong

I wanna thank you guys first , second I used this and other sources cause I was so lost . with like the whole sdk thing whatever ., anyway I saw this somewhere and I know I didnt do this so it worries me
You're done! feel free to kill the bloat apps snd such.
NOTE: It might be a smart idea to do "rm /system/bin/rootshell" after you have su and superuser in place as ANY program will have access to your root if you leave it (cause everyone will know the password)
, also where you said to get titanium back up I didnt . i just backed up with bootstrap . So Im rooted just worried about this password thing now . what do I do ?

Last edited: