for people scared to root

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
cool username: not so nervous anymore are you? besides if you got a little lost you just post and lots of people here will lend a hand. For the wallpapers you may have to install the apk for it if it wasn't included (I didn't check as I don't use that rom) then you should be able to do a long-press on your homescreen and set your wallpaper.

SGTiger: if the only reason you are going to root is so you don't get stuck on an unrootable OTA 2.1 then no worries. There is a thread on this:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hacking-help/24707-unroot-unbrick-your-phone-using-sbf.html which basically lets you install something on your PC then boot up your phone while holding a key and within a couple of minutes your phone is just like stock, out of the box. From there you can then be where you are now and decide if you want to root and flash a rom or upgrade to 2.1 again.

ISUVetMed

Reaction score
I am in the process of rooting as we speak, for live wallpapers do you have to install launcher? in the video he uninstalled it saying it was buggy. The idea of live wallpapers sounds fun though, just dont want to deal with FC's all the time.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The launcher is a different apk. I don't know if live wallpapers comes with this rom but do know you can go and install it separately. You can also then download live wallpapers from the market. Maybe that will tell you. I think if you are not rooted you don't see the live wallpapers in the market. If you see them, you can run them? maybe yes, maybe no.

SGTiger

Reaction score
SGTiger: if the only reason you are going to root is so you don't get stuck on an unrootable OTA 2.1 then no worries. There is a thread on this:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hacking-help/24707-unroot-unbrick-your-phone-using-sbf.html which basically lets you install something on your PC then boot up your phone while holding a key and within a couple of minutes your phone is just like stock, out of the box. From there you can then be where you are now and decide if you want to root and flash a rom or upgrade to 2.1 again.

Wow, thanks! Sounds like it is impossible for someone to brick their phone now. Only way you have a brick is with hardware failure? I'm going to grab those files now while the links are active.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Wow, thanks! Sounds like it is impossible for someone to brick their phone now. Only way you have a brick is with hardware failure? I'm going to grab those files now while the links are active.

Correct, as long as it boots, you are all set. And as for grabbing the files now....very good idea.

When I rooted I made sure I had everything I needed on my pc. Instructions, files, method to get back to root, etc.

I think some of what is so daunting to the manual method is when you open a page and see 67 steps. Broken down though you have a couple steps to root. Then there are a couple more to install sprecovery so you have a fallback method. Finally there is taking the rom and installing it using sprecovery or the update.zip method.

Fortunately the SBF instructions are very short:)

Nick177th

Reaction score
Man, that really looks easy. Not gonna do it right now. I d/l'd DMupdater though. If this 2.1 thing seems like it's not coming next month, I'm gonna take the plunge.

Wuzz Ranger

Reaction score
This root process was more than easy. The step by step instructions were the best by far. The launcher 2 app is neat but it doesn't work with half the widgets. It's more of a fun thing to show your friends. The live wallpapers are really a sight to see. I can't wait to see what else I can do with this rooted Droid. I wasn't really going to root my Droid but man there so many threads staring me in the face. I really didn't see a point in doing it because of the new update that is suppose to be coming out. I cannot wait anymore. Once again, great post and great walk through.

SGTiger

Reaction score
This may sound like a stupid question but just so I understood everything I rooted and installed droidmod. At the end of the video tutorial he shows how to go back to stock. If you had to take your phone into verizon how would you uninstall dmupdater? I flashed back to stock (just to go through the process) and I am not seeing a way to get rid of it, to install it I just put it on my SD card and installed with astro, I deleted it from my sd card and it still shows up. I had never used astro before, do you use that to uninstall it?

The same way you uninstall other apps:

Settings>Applications>Manage Applications>DM Updater>Uninstall

Silverwing

Reaction score
Where can I find out, what exactly all those things that I am prompted to install (or to not install) are? I don't want to accidentally make an uninformed decision and leave something out that I would actually want.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Where can I find out, what exactly all those things that I am prompted to install (or to not install) are? I don't want to accidentally make an uninformed decision and leave something out that I would actually want.

That would be a great feature (if it doesn't exist already) for the updater app: an included doc or link that explains what each step does and the options. That way if you want to know you can look it up. If not then just take the defaults. Or maybe by adding a doc it then makes things confusing. The manual methods take longer because you need to type in commands and undoubtedly have some questions about what you are doing and if you are doing it right. It doesn't make it impossible though. Take a look at each step and think, "I can do this step" and don't get overwhelmed with all 50 steps because you can't do them all at once anyways.

But more to the point of your question....dmupdater makes it fast and easy to root and flash a rom. If you leave something out that you want or need and the process only takes ten minutes....just do it again:)

Sodner

Reaction score
Since the 2.1 launcher is reportedly "buggy". Does anyone know if the other 2.1 Launcher, the 2.1 N1 SenseUI one, works with interactive Livewallpapers??

Sodner

Reaction score
Super simple installation. But after 10 minutes of usage two reboots with the 2.1 lunacher and the "other" 2.1 SenseUI one.

Can't someone make a solid 2.1 luncher????????

Last edited: