for people scared to root

ISUVetMed

Reaction score
dmupdater does this as well. In video 3 he unroots and gets it back to stock. Even pulls open the app tray and all is bone stock.

There is no way for them to look at logs and see that at one time it was rooted though? I just want to cover all my bases before I take the plunge. Also the main reason I am rooting is for wifi tethering, this wont be included in the OTA correct?

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Even if they could (and I doubt many of them are intelligent enough to use Linux much less know how to read the logs contained therein), you could use the sbf and completely reflash to 2.0.1.

cool username

Reaction score
question.
so at the end when he had it all rooted, he said he had to re-do his screens because he has 5 now. so what happens if i have home++? the same thing?

also do you download the dmupdater from the site on your phone, or is it an app?

1quickv6

Reaction score
This thread was enough to sell me on pulling the trigger. Thanks to all who commented. Hopefully, I'll be replying from my Droid in a few minutes. :D

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I'm not planning to root at the moment, but it's good to know about this.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I would say yes.

I took the manual approach and followed the thread for Smoked glass 4.5

While I didn't use an app and did things manually rooting the phone was simple. The next step was flashing the rom. This was a little tricky but I got through that too. When my phone restarted I expected all my apps to be gone. Everything was sitting on my desktop and in the app drawer. I was pleasantly surprised. It sounds dmupdater keeps your data too. Worse case is you just put your icons back where you want them.

At first dmupdater only updated sholes roms. Will it now allow you to flash anybody's rom? Bugless Beast, Smoked Glass, etc?

SGTiger

Reaction score
Well I don't want to receive the update. I'm sure it patches the exploit that allowed root. People say that another way to root may be found soon after the update, but there are no guarantees. Who knows, it could be months before another exploit is found which means you won't be able to use setcpu, wireless tether, etc... until then.

I had rather stay rooted with a custom rom. Once the update comes out, someone will grab it and modify it so that you can have the update and continue to be rooted. I will update then.

cool username

Reaction score
so i followed the videos step by step.
i tried applying a live wallpaper, just for fun. i don't really care about having one, i just wanted to try it.
so i applied the wall paper and went home and nothing happened. is this because of home++ or something or did i just do something wrong?

edit: just realized the live wallpaper is showing on my lock screen but as soon as i unlock and go the home screen its still my old wall paper.

editedit: nevermind. i should stop posting questions before trying everything to figure it out myself... i downloaded launcher and the wall paper is showing now.

anyways thanks for posting the video. finally built the guts to do it

Last edited:

gnmitchell

Reaction score
Is DroidMod 1.0 overclocked?

Yes it's an overclock Rom but you will need to buy setcpu from the market. It cost's .99 and it allows you to overclock as well as set up profiles. Just make sure if you do buy it to select autodetect and NOT droid. If you select droid you won't be able to overclock.

1quickv6

Reaction score
Well now..... that was easy. Rooted and ROM'd now. Time to go and play.

To OP... thanks for the post. :D

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm not one to manually root my droid. When Sholes came out I was right on it. Nothing easier than letting the root/unroot process be automatic. Sholes is now Droid Mod 1.0 and it is the best one out there. I've been using it about 4 days now without any problems. If you're at all thinking about rooting but afraid to do it, follow the video and do it. If you don't like it or get nervous about having a rooted droid, just go back to stock, it only takes a couple of minutes to do and you're stock again.

This is highly recommended by old farts such as myself.