For all you rooting genuis's

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Ficken01, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Ficken01

Ficken01 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    First I would like to say I am happy to become part of such a great site. I recently joined and the amount of knowledge that I have come accross is fantastic. Now on to my help need. I can't figure out what I am doing wrong. I recently purchased a motorola droid and the next day (before I found this site) popped up saying update. So of course I did. It updated to 2.1 well then I found this site and have no idea what my previos version was. Now I would like to revert back and root the phone. I have found all the work ups on doing this but when I go to merge the update file with the ese85 file the cmd is telling me it cant locate the file. Bolth files are downloaded to the desktop and renamed ( using right click rename) what am i missing to create the new update file. Once again any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Mike

2. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Your previous firmware version was 2.0.1, everybody's was. But I'm not completely sure on what exactly you're trying to do after you said you were renaming files on you desktop. You may be trying to do something with adb and you just don't have the Android SDK installed on your computer yet. But, you could install RSDLite onto your computer and then flash the 2.0.1 sbf file. You can find directions about this by searching for a thread named something like "unroot/unbrick you phone". What this will do is bring you back to stock 2.0.1 and THEN you can apply the root update.zip, and THEN you could proceed to flash to a customized 2.1 ESE81 ROM

EDIT: just noticed this was your first post! Welcome to DroidForums! We hope you enjoy your stay with us!

#2 natediddy1120, Apr 8, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  3. RoLa

RoLa Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Welcome to the forum. First, the version before the OTA 2.1 update was 2.0.1
    Second, To my knowledge there isn't a proper root exploit for the official 2.1 update. To root the droid you need to flash back to 2.0.1 by using this http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ha...phone-using-sbf.html?highlight=unroot/unbrick Once you are back to 2.0.1 go here http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...vD9IEF&usg=AFQjCNEvpSSljR3IPopIm9KjawimyoO92A
    Third, you need to have sdk installed to run adb commands. This is where I got mine http://www.google.com/url?q=android...wv2rBA&usg=AFQjCNGjw0SX97PVWfEWeEDBZdqmBdriJg Here is a link to follow to get it installed if you don't have it already, http://www.google.com/url?q=http://...IoATAA&usg=AFQjCNEGFO-U8fSKHrdwUHV7nelPUJIv-w there are many more, don't be afraid to search google:)
    Fourth, Good Luck...after you try and search and read and search and read and try again and read and read more...if you have problems.....ask:)

4. Ficken01

Ficken01 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for all the advise I will try and try again lol

5. CDB

CDB Member

Ratings:
    +0
    When you issue the 'cmd' command (via Run... from the Start menu), it'll show something like:

C:\something\something else\more stuff\etc..

If the files you downloaded aren't in the directory where the path above is pointing, when you try to combine them, it'll give you that error saying it can't find the file.

Also, at no point do you 'need' the Android SDK to get your phone back to 2.0.1 and subsequently root it with 2.1. Just RSDLite, the 2.0.1 sbf file, and the two files needed to make the new 2.1 update.zip.

6. Ficken01

Ficken01 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I finally am finished I got it rooted and loaded. I do have to say if I would have know what this phone was capable of I would have given my right nut for it. After all your guys help I finally figured it out. User error lol. I will have to say I am a new droid owner for life. Once again thank you for all your help and patient with my dump a** questions.

Thanks,
    Mike

7. RoLa

RoLa Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Good Jod ..not so bad eh? My suggestion if you haven't done it already is to put the SDK tools on your computer...I believe anyone who has root privilege, should be comfortable using ADB..Just IMO:)