Football vs Futbol

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
nfl-football-online-gambling-law.jpg
VS
DrNgVrKG_400x400.png

Fifa World Cup play is under way and all over the world it is a big thing but for us Americans (as a whole) soccer is not a sport we follow. Our interest has increased since the last world cup as you have a lot more sport's bars filled with people chanting "USA" (plus it helps that it takes place during the dead period in sports). But the moment we are no longer a contender for the cup bars will be empty until it is time to cheer for our favorite college and/or NFL teams. I am curious how many of you actually follow soccer other than the world cup. I will admit I don't, in fact it took me a moment to figure out what color uniforms we were wearing in today's game. The red Portugal wore looked kind of bright on the TVs at the sport's bar I was at so I ended up remaining silent until I had time to whip out my phone and go to espn.com to make sure I am cheering for the right team. Hey don't judge me. But once I got my bearings I actually got into the game, had a mouth full of pizza when we scored our second goal. Unfortunately we tied, which for us feels like a loss.

So are you Football or Futbol?
For those who are Football shout out your team (college and/or NFL).

[video=youtube;6KeG_i8CWE8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KeG_i8CWE8[/video]

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Fly Eagles Fly!

But I just got back from a sports bar/restaurant watching USA vs Portugal. First game I've sat through all the way and it gets intense. That could be due to the environment, but it was exciting.

Still prefer Football over it though.

GotnFX

Reaction score
Min Vikings

Just like March Madness, Stanley Cup, NBA, and World Series, I only watch these sports during the "playoffs." While I literally spend all of NFL Sunday plopped right in front of the TV each week. I catch the Thurs and Monday night games as well! I've watched a few World Cup match ups but haven't really looked for them. I did go out of my way to watch the US v Port game though and did catch the end of Germany v Ghana. Both were exciting!

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
49ers all the way

[video=youtube;2-j4n-sna6Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-j4n-sna6Y[/video]

And yeah the bar I was at people were in to it. I am sure alcohol played its way into the equation as well, but yeah you could hear "USA, USA, USA" all through. And when the US scored the second goal that place erupted.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
49ers all the way

[video=youtube;2-j4n-sna6Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-j4n-sna6Y[/video]

And yeah the bar I was at people were in to it. I am sure alcohol played its way into the equation as well, but yeah you could hear "USA, USA, USA" all through. And when the US scored the second goal that place erupted.

Seattle Fans (yes I am talking to you Mountainbiker), be nice :biggrin:.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
49ers all the way

Yeah place I was at went nuts. But when Portugal scored in those last 20sec, a collective sigh happened followed by some not so friendly language.

But hey, US was ranked 13th I was told and Portugal 4th, so pretty good. Had the game and eased up, but if the head coach doesn't even believe in the team then any success is overachieving, right?

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
Tried to get into in 94 when the World Cup was held here in the States. Never could. It's 20 years later and I can count on no hands the number of soccer games I've watched since.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I'm 50/50 American Italian and I couldn't care less about both sports. Its hockey all the way for me!

Also, I work at the high school Kap went to and am so f'ing tired of hearing his name every day. We still get news vans every once in a while and a ton when he does something stupid. Why couldn't he have lived in Modesto.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I get more than enough world cup updates on the NFL network each day during NFL AM.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Cleveland Browns. Don't follow Soccer at all. I am one of those rare fans that only watched my team until they no longer have a shot at the playoffs. So yea... haven't watched many late season Browns games in YEARS.

Best video ever:
[video=youtube;tRBDMMVctu8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRBDMMVctu8[/video]

Re: Futbol? We were still in it? :D

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
Go RAVENS

I'm the same way. I watch the Ravens until they no longer have any games whether it's the regular season or post-season. I even closely follow their moves in the off-season.

But, if they aren't playing I really couldn't give a crap what's going on in the NFL and who else is playing.

That being said, I don't know what happened in 2002 but I really got into the World Cup. So, every 4 years I become a Futbol fan.

eebvending

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S10+
My favorite 2 sports are football and futbol. Absolutely love both. I used to be a soccer-hater and then my wife signed my oldest up for soccer when he was 4, regardless of my protest. A few years later I ended up coaching which turned into being on soccer league boards and 4 kids who all played. Coached for 12 years up to spring 2013. My oldest played both earning 7 varsity letters between the 2 sports and accumulated many post season honors in both. He is currently a D3 college kicker. My youngest daughter will be a 4-year varsity soccer player and 3-year starter when she is done with HS. My youngest son is going to be a beast in HS football when he gets there. I find watching soccer very fascinating, especially the more I learn about the game and understand what the teams are trying to do and can break down what kind of formation they are running and if it morphs into something else during the run of play. There is always something happening in soccer where other sports have a lot of down time.

Anyways, my NFL team is the Bengals and for college it is Ohio State.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Go GIANTS ! But I do like to watch futbol especially now ...I watched Italy's last win in 2006 in a crowded crazy Italian cafe in Brooklyn lol

M8 tap'd