[Follow-Up] Moto X Phone Will be 'Made in America'; Full Press Release

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
motorola-X-Phone-next.jpg

Last night the hot news hit the web that the Moto X Phone was the real deal. Not only that but the device is planned to be a very high-end piece of hardware. Dennis Woodside specifically called it a “hero” device. Not too many details were announced but some of the revealed features suggest the new Motorola smartphone will truly be very "smart." The device will even be able to recognize when you are taking a photo, or when it is in your pocket.

One of the other exciting announcements regarding the Moto X (as it will be called) is that the device will be mostly "made in America." Not all of the components will be put together here, but the primary structure of the device will be 70% assembled at the Flextronics' 500,000-square foot facility in Fort Worth, Texas. Here's the full press release from Motorola,

Moto X: The First Smartphone Assembled in the USA

There are more than 130 million smartphones in use in the USA today and not one of them was assembled here...until now.

May 28, 2013 Danielle McNally

Today at the AllThingsD conference Dennis Woodside revealed how we are reinventing Motorola through a portfolio of products starting with Moto X, a new flagship smartphone that will be designed, engineered and assembled in the USA. We’re not talking about just a handful of units either -- available this summer, every Moto X sold in the USA will be assembled in Fort Worth, Texas, making it the first smartphone ever assembled domestically.

There were a few reasons why we decided to do this. There are several business advantages to having our Illinois and California-based designers and engineers much closer to our factory. For instance, we’ll be able to iterate on design much faster, create a leaner supply chain, respond much more quickly to purchasing trends and demands, and deliver devices to people here much more quickly. And as a part of Google we’re being encouraged to take big bets on things that make a difference.

We still have a network of global operations, and that won’t change. Our global manufacturing partner remains Flextronics and we’ll continue to assemble devices locally in China and Brazil. But Flextronics is busy looking for people for the new Fort Worth facility now. If you’re interested, we encourage you to check the available positions and apply.

This is an incredibly exciting time to be in the mobile device industry. Our role in inventing the mobile phone is well known. We’re happy to be shaping its future as well.

Source: DroidForums.net

Last edited:

dfcfu342

Reaction score
I applaud them for their move. Hopefully we'll see this trend continue.

swc2001

Reaction score
Oh Sure now that I have decided to get the Galaxy S4 that is made in Korea (coming from the OG Razr) Now Moto has to do somthing Awesome like this and make a device almost entirely in the US. Now I am torn because I love buying stuff that has been manufactured in the USA..... Especially my Hometown Ft. Worth. Go Get em MOTO!!!

pwrdbykyank

Reaction score
wow that is terrible news. Ive had personall experience with flextronics, i dont know why motorola recently started doing all their work with them, but they are completely useless. The phone will be trash if they are working on it, expect MAJOR MAJOR delays, and people who dont know what they are doing to make that phone. Flextronics is motorolas new and current repair depot, and let me tell you, Going from 5 business day repairs from CINRAM which moto use to work with, to 25-30 business days with flextronics shows you something, not only that, but when they send you phones which were worse than you sent in, or repairs done wrong almost all the time, wow is all i got to say. I just got turned away from the X phone because of this.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
I have little hope that this phone will be cutting edge competitive against a flagship anything from anyone, being made in the USA is a positive outlook, but there's a reason things are primarily outsourced these days. Making a popular device, being competitive, and making a price point that is also competitive is hard enough without adding the made in the USA sticker which replaces the trifecta with a bloated price sticker instead.

When even Google turned face on the device and handed it to a failing company that they're financially vested in, I'll be looking somewhere else most likely dispite some new gimmicky features.

jpiarull

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z Force Droid
Twitter
jpiarull
wow that is terrible news. Ive had personall experience with flextronics, i dont know why motorola recently started doing all their work with them, but they are completely useless. The phone will be trash if they are working on it, expect MAJOR MAJOR delays, and people who dont know what they are doing to make that phone. Flextronics is motorolas new and current repair depot, and let me tell you, Going from 5 business day repairs from CINRAM which moto use to work with, to 25-30 business days with flextronics shows you something, not only that, but when they send you phones which were worse than you sent in, or repairs done wrong almost all the time, wow is all i got to say. I just got turned away from the X phone because of this.

My company supplies them with power cords and let me tell you how bad it was last year trying to get paid. Like nailing jello to the wall. Ended up getting so many complaints that they lost multiple end customers. This...lord knows how it'll be when production starts in Q3 or Q4.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Droid Forums