[Follow-Up] More Details Emerge on Possible HTC Kindle Phones

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Oct 17, 2013.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,254
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Just yesterday we shared a story that HTC and Amazon might be teaming up to make forked Android Kindle smartphones. We already have a follow-up article with more details. According to this new report, Amazon and HTC have been in talks since at least June of this year "to develop handsets for sale to users of the Amazon Prime service." The main reason for this is supposedly that Amazon wants to have more devices which access their Amazon Instant Video service. They also want to sell phones through subscriptions with carriers.

One other detail suggests that Amazon has not yet fully committed to the idea, but that both companies have already devoted some time and resources to this project so it looks like a distinct possibility. Here's a quote with a few more details,

What do you guys think? Could this be an idea that helps save HTC and helps Amazon break into this business?

Source: Bloomberg

2. mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark Super Moderator
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,348
    I don't know but I just can't see an HTC UI, Verizonized (or other carrier) phone overlayed on top of that with an Amozonized UI being really popular unless it's dirt cheap at full retail. Even then I don't see it being "all that" and making huge sales.
    Maybe they'll use Windows Phone instead of Android while they're at it?
    Support Our Troops!!!
    <><
    Beast Mode (Notetoo)

3. liftedplane

liftedplane Gold Member

Ratings:
    +900
    didn't amazon say something a few months ago about not making a handset? an interesting idea but why not just release an amazon instant video app?