[Follow-Up] More Details Emerge on Possible HTC Kindle Phones

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Amazon-drop-shadow-Logo.png

htc-logo-with-graphic.jpg

Just yesterday we shared a story that HTC and Amazon might be teaming up to make forked Android Kindle smartphones. We already have a follow-up article with more details. According to this new report, Amazon and HTC have been in talks since at least June of this year "to develop handsets for sale to users of the Amazon Prime service." The main reason for this is supposedly that Amazon wants to have more devices which access their Amazon Instant Video service. They also want to sell phones through subscriptions with carriers.

One other detail suggests that Amazon has not yet fully committed to the idea, but that both companies have already devoted some time and resources to this project so it looks like a distinct possibility. Here's a quote with a few more details,

Three devices are being discussed by Amazon and HTC, the Financial Times reported earlier, citing people familiar with the project it didn’t name.

“HTC doesn’t comment on rumors and speculation,” the Taoyuan, Taiwan-based company said in an e-mailed response yesterday. Drew Herdener, a spokesman for Seattle-based Amazon, didn’t return a request for comment.

What do you guys think? Could this be an idea that helps save HTC and helps Amazon break into this business?

Source: Bloomberg

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't know but I just can't see an HTC UI, Verizonized (or other carrier) phone overlayed on top of that with an Amozonized UI being really popular unless it's dirt cheap at full retail. Even then I don't see it being "all that" and making huge sales.
Maybe they'll use Windows Phone instead of Android while they're at it?
Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Beast Mode (Notetoo)