1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Follow-Up: Microsoft Taunts Google After Closing LG Patent Licensing Deal

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Jan 12, 2012.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

[​IMG]

Well, regardless of which way you go on our Microsoft patent licensing deal with LG poll, it's hard not to see this new development as anything less than Microsoft pouring salt in the wound. As the tweets pictured here explicitly demonstrate, Microsoft is now openly taunting Google in regards to their open Android licensing. In all fairness, there have been several memes from the Google camp decrying Microsoft's behavior as deplorable, so one could argue that this is just retaliation from the big MS, but the timing kinda seems like "sour grapes." The tweeting from Microsoft started with the one above, and then just piled on with the ones below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As of yet, Google has not responded. What do you guys think?

Source: TechCrunch
  2. cereal killer

cereal killer Administrator Staff Member

Seriously this is just wrong right here. Frankly I'm offended by the remark.
  3. idefiler6

idefiler6 New Member

Seriously how does the twitter account owner still have a job?
  4. jerkwad

jerkwad New Member

can someone elaborate on this...i hate to play the "fool" here but I'm not getting it (even after reading the linked MS & LG deal) :blink:
  5. CletusVanDam

CletusVanDam New Member

I think he's referring to the fact that M$ gets licensing fees from about 70% of all Android handsets sold.
  6. jntdroid

jntdroid Super Moderator Premium Member

While it can be argued whether or not MS's tweets are in retaliation, or in response to earlier comments by Google, the fact that we're watching adults use Twitter to communicate snippy remarks just reeks of immaturity and teenage drama. And these are 'high up' corporate execs (or counsel) as well. I'm a fan of MS personally, but seeing this is just ridiculous. #higherground !! :blink:
    1 person likes this.
  7. metalspring

metalspring New Member

i think basically microsoft is trying to gain control over android and in turn, google...i read about how microsoft has/is trying to sue the phone companies that dont sign with them over stuff so stupid its outrageous...for example they tried/are trying to sue barnes and noble over the nook for "easily selectable text" and “Navigate through information”...link for those examples is here
  8. jerkwad

jerkwad New Member

i get that, i guess i kind of already knew that much about the android OS and Microsoft licensing. THere was some great information about how MS actually makes more money off the patents that are in Android than they do on their OWN sales of Windows OS phones. I laughed and thought how pathetic is it that you make more money off all the work of other companies than you could ever hope to make from your OWN OS that has no "middle man" for licensing deals/patent agreements.

I could care less if MS makes 70% - Google still gets a cut and I am fine with both companies co-existing and pushing each other forward. Maybe this will spur Google to start removing some of the MS patents from the Android OS and develop their own (hopefully better) methods of doing things. It's STILL a hell of a lot better than the way Apple handles this kind of stuff, ala "we wont share, stop using our stuff or we will destroy you in court or die trying"
  9. jerkwad

jerkwad New Member

but aren't those things already covered in the patent agreements between Google and MS? I guess I am assuming that there exists agreements between those two parties already for Google to even be USING them in the first place within the Android OS. I guess I don't understand how MS can sue the company that is using a licensed (between google/ms) copy of the Android OS - that's like paying double for your data plan to use tethe.......oooooh now i get it ;-)
  10. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay New Member

Arent most of those tweets directed toward Apple? That was my assumption. Since Apple rather just sue than come to licensing agreements with manufacturers.

Yes, these comments were uncalled for and no one should be using twitter to express a matter as such since you can only write 1 sentence and because of that it is usually misunderstood.

Whatever, I don't think the money is coming out of Google's wallet. I'm sure Google is just laughing at all this Nonsense.

Sent from my GalaxyNexus using DroidForums
  11. cereal killer

No they are not :) The quote below is from Google last year.

notice the word extort(ion)....strong language there.
  12. metalspring

metalspring New Member

i think we need another USA vs Microsoft or something similar and lets throw apple in there too...these patent wars are becoming beyond ridiculous, it's like little kids fighting over whose toy it is....
  13. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay New Member

yeah, but this kinda goes along with what I said. I mean obviously Google has to say something, but you know all the big executives are sitting around a table cracking jokes how pathetic Microsoft is in the smartphone business.

Their response couldn't be more perfect. They struck back, but insult in a classy way.

Sent from my GalaxyNexus using DroidForums
  14. cereal killer

I'm wondering how or if they will respond. It really is shameful behavior if you think about it. Like somebody said it's very childish especially when they know Google is not too happy about the whole thing. It's like rubbing their nose in it.

I wasn't going to take sides but this is just out of line in my opinion. No class......
  15. johnomaz

johnomaz Well-Known Member

Only if there is a USA vs Apple too.

If google doesn't want this to happen anymore, they should start patenting their stuff too in Android. Apple and M$ are using their ideas freely.
  16. garrett

garrett Beta Team Theme Developer Developer

thats the issue being open source...... The source code is free for anyone to use and manipulate.
  17. captdroid

captdroid New Member

So Microsoft is admitting the only way they can make it in the smartphone business is collect license fee's?! Sounds pretty lame for such a large 'innovative' company such as Microsoft :icon_ devil:
  18. thaDroidz

thaDroidz New Member

Open source...
    Free to use but not make money with, right?

posted tomorrow using the space time continuum app on my D1...
  19. metalspring

metalspring New Member

its the difference between something like windows where you have to purchase the OS compared to linux (also open source) where you can find free distributions online easily

google doesnt sell android os anyone can make it themselves if they have knowledge of how to develop (or there are even easy tools out there to really help almost anyone build thier own) google makes money off different things ASSOCIATED with android os, im not sure exactly what though but im sure part of it is through advertising and part is from their own nexus devices

dont quote me on that but im pretty sure thats basically how it works
  20. tjk629

tjk629 New Member

Twitter WAR!