Folders randomly appear in internal storage?

Droid_Ritch

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S4
So I am pretty much a newb to Droids and the Android operating system in general. I am quite tech-savvy, but I am still trying to learn as much as possible with this device considering the fact that I have just done a much needed upgrade from an old texting "dumbphone". Of course I could have an endless amount of questions posted here but I'll save that for a different thread...My biggest concern at the moment is noticing random folders appearing out of the blue within the internal storage of the phone....I delete them from time to time and they eventually reappear. The folders don't seem to contain much but what seems to be temp files, cache, files that can no longer be opened, and dead links....Is the phone supposed to be doing that?....Can it be avoided?....I find it very annoying constantly having to go into the internal storage and constantly manually delete folders and files that don't really seem to serve much of a purpose....except for taking up space.

...Again, like I said I am a bit of a newb, so I would like to learn as much as possible.

Help would be appreciated.

Thank You.

gflam

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Your apps are most likely creating them and you really shouldn't be deleting things you don't know what they are. What exactly are you deleting? Could you give their paths and file names

Sent from my evo 3d at 1.8ghz

OP
Droid_Ritch

Droid_Ritch

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S4
.doubleTwist
.youversion
aloqa
Android
data
LOST.DIR
Mikulu
slacker
ValuService
VCast
VMM

....What's the purpose of these directories?..Do they need to be there...or can they be avoided?...I also notice the more downloaded apps I use, different ones appear.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
.doubleTwist
.youversion
aloqa
Android
data
LOST.DIR
Mikulu
slacker
ValuService
VCast
VMM

....What's the purpose of these directories?..Do they need to be there...or can they be avoided?...I also notice the more downloaded apps I use, different ones appear.
The files you have listed have been created either by apps that came on your phone or by an app that you have downloaded an installed. I recognize most of the files you have listed...they're on mind and everyone's Razr. These files are created and used much the same way a temp or cache folder is used by an OS or program on your computer. As far as deleting them...you can do that but in most cases the app creating them will just replace the folder. The Razr uses the 4gb or internal sd partition and the 16gb of sd-external storage differently than most Android phones. The common explanation for this is Moto set it up this way so that when the new OS, Ice Cream Sandwich, is provided as an upgrade to your phone, the internal storage is compatible with the new OS. Keep in mind that any picture or music you download and in case of picture you take, are going to be initially stored in the internal 4g partition. You can move those files to the external micro sd card if you'd like. Again, this is storage scheme is different on the Razr in preparation for the upgrade to Ice Cream Sandwich.

Last edited:

gflam

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
.doubleTwist
.youversion
aloqa
Android
data
LOST.DIR
Mikulu
slacker
ValuService
VCast
VMM

Well those are all on you're external storage lol not the internal those should all be on your sd let's see

. Youversion is a hidden folder but not sure where that's from probably some app

Aloqa also probably an app

Android is where apps are kept for when you push apps to your sdcard

Data is where the data for your sdcard apps is kept

LOST.DIR is where old stuff is kept that's a good one to clean I clean that and .trash1000 all the time since they can take up a lot of space over time

Mikulu also an app folder

Slacker is the folder for slacker radio

And the others also probably from apps the folders are always going to be created by the apps when you use them its normal and others like LOST.DIR android and data your system is going to recreate every reboot or even at times when your system is running

Sent from my evo 3d at 1.8ghz

OP
Droid_Ritch

Droid_Ritch

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S4
Both explanations have been extremely helpful. This forum is great. So now after reviewing both answers....the majority of the directories are application temp/cache files so I shouldn't have to worry about deleting the folders. And as far as the LOST.DIR folder it seems that this folder is needed to transfer directories between both SD and internal storage because I do notice it on both storage options.....Does this sound right? I do notice that both answers are a little different. One answer saying this is meant for the SD storage and the other answer saying its meant for internal storage preparation for Ice cream sandwich. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums