FNG needs help with rooting

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by BLS, Feb 26, 2010.

1. BLS

BLS New Member

I'm not asking for explanations.
    I work in IT, and have for 15 years.
    I fully understand rooting, and it's purpose.
    But I'm stuck at using the backup and how to install home screens (I hope I have the right terminology) like Smoked Glass.

My biggest concern is "can i restore back to factory default if something goes wrong"? And how?

I'd like to be able to use my phone as a modem/router for my laptop.
    It's my understanding that I need to root it to do so.
    However, once it's rooted (and it is currently), how do I go about doing this?

I know how forums work. I'm 'that' guy right now.
    I just need something concise and readable. The last thread I looked at was 97 freakin pages long and I'd prefer to not read all of that for the 1 page worth of significant data I need.

Can someone offer me some assistance?
  2. MJ5150

MJ5150 New Member

Each guy with a ROM puts together a theme, but you can change the theme yourself or try another theme without impacting your ROM. Just make sure the theme will work on your ROM.

As for me, I installed the Smoked Glass 4.5 ROM, found a couple themes I liked, then built my own theme by combining pieces from others.

Best way to go back to factory is to use the SBF method with RSD Lite. It takes about 10 minutes to get your phone back to how it was the day it came out of the box.

-Mike
  3. mjones1052

mjones1052 New Member

I recommend checking out Droidmod, just google it and you'll find it. But that will allow you to install the wireless tether app right from the backup. If you don't know how to use Nandroid just google it and you can check it out. You will have to download a file that allows you to flash the recovery image, then actually flash it, then if you download a ROM the new recovery image will allow you to install it. You can hit me up on GTalk if you need help, I can walk you through some of it if need be. Handle is in my sig, same as paypal.
  4. SANhacker

SANhacker New Member

Since you have worked in IT for 15 years, I would avoid Droidmod as you won't have a clue what you just did to your phone. I'd recommend reading the Matth3w write up in this forum. You will then understand the backup and recovery procedures involved with rooting your phone. His write up is excellent and has rescued my butt more than once. I also have a pretty good idea as to how to do most everything due to his tutorial. (The exception is my lack of UNIX experience which I am still struggling with. :D)
    Link

If you ever need to "unroot" the phone, (i.e. VZW warranty) there are instructions for this topic as well. Best of luck.
  5. BLS

BLS New Member

I painstakingly followed that thread write up and I have officially hacked my droid. Thank you for pointing me to that...it was EXACTLY what I was looking for. I know exactly zero about Unix/Linux, so him explaining the command lines was essential to understand the process. You rock.:icon_ banana:
  6. christim

christim DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

You say you know how forums work
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-themes/26182-someone-plz-help.html#post263495

Try to stick to one thread so those trying to help you can locate your posts and you can have a meaningful conversation.

In that thread you are trying to apply themes and in this one you can't get a rom applied but you didn't repost here saying you were all set (or aren't) which confuses those of us who might render assistance.

You say you are rooted. Did you get sprecovery installed? That is the next step so you can do nandroid restores and apply new roms.

edit: nevermind, looks like you are all set, I misread your last reply, sorry.