FNG in San Jose (and not a bright one)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions & Site Assistance' started by VTRweasel, Jan 18, 2011.

1. VTRweasel

VTRweasel Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

So I'm going from my Palm Pre Plus (mic died) to a Droid Inc. but an upgrade isn't available through Verizon for 6 more months.

I saw their pre-owned phones for sale for $49.99 and ordered one not knowing it required a new contract and number, I thought it was just if I got the 2 for the price of one deal.

Anyway phone came today and they said there was no way to activate it using my old # unless I paid $10 more a month for the family plan so back it goes.

On the bright side my buddy works at Verizon and he's going to send me a free Droid with a cracked screen I just need to replace the broken screen.

After a simple search I found screens from 30-70 bucks and videos on how do "do it myself". Has anyone done this? I did a search but didn't come up with what I was looking for.

Now the wait is on and all I have is my Casio GzOne :blink:

I'm kindda sad, I'm sitting at my desk with this cool phone and I can't play with it.

2. dlwhtrose

dlwhtrose DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad Premium Member

God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
    Ratings:
    +1
    Welcome to the forum. You may have to pay the additional amount no matter what phone you get. There are various data plans that you have to have with a Droid. As for changing a screen, nope can't say I have done that or know anyone who has.

3. VTRweasel

VTRweasel Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks,

The data plan's just a little more then the Palm and I get a discount through work so it evens out.

4. huskerkate

huskerkate Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +10
    welcome to the forum!! not a handyman by any stretch, so don't know what to tell ya about the screen. but, personally, i think whatever you would pay it would be worth it to get into a droid. had the D1 for over a year, and still waaaay diggin it!

hope you stick around and join in the fun! :)

5. VTRweasel

VTRweasel Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well after holding the actual phone I'm getting one for sure it's just a matter of where.

As far as sticking around, I'm a forum whore and honestly don't know how many I belong to. I'm a Mod and co-founder of bayarearidersforum a local motorcycle site with over 30K members :D

So yeah, I'll be around.

Thx,