Fm radio??

daisy0504

Reaction score
Is this a complete no go or has anyone came up with a work around. This a reason for purchasing this phone.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
You won't get a phone (any I'm aware of) to be a real radio, FM or otherwise, but there are some apps that will get most of the stations you may want. I use TuneIn Radio and iHeart Radio.

Reactions: cr6

Jxpinc

Reaction score
Yes there are phones with true fm radio. My droid x had it. The international versions of the g3 have it. Hell the Korean versions have a broadcast TV antenna. The TV thing wouldn't work in the states even if it was activated but the fm radio would with headphones serving as the antenna. Why can't we activate it Verizon?

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Try an app called Next Radio....it will play all your local stations....(On most devices)

S5 tap'n

Jxpinc

Reaction score
Yes but an fm radio doesn't use data! And there are no copywrite restrictions for sports broadcasts.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Yes, many phones have built-in chips that support true FM stereo reception. Many of these phones come with FM receiver software pre-installed. Others don't have the software and in many cases the FM receiver chip is not activated. In some cases the chip can be activated by way of rooting or is active but the software was never provided and can be installed via third party apps as linked to above.

As you'll see below, even the app linked to above discusses in the instructions the problem with manufacturers preventing access to the FM radio in their phones by way of third party apps. Also as I've said, in many cases phones have the chip but either must be modified or its active but there is no third party app that will work with them. It's hit or miss finding an app that actually functions properly.

c209be6412a37a6d69476b6113715dbc.jpg

OP
D

daisy0504

Reaction score
That's my main concern. Sports broadcasts they are always blocked out on the apps like Tune In for example.

Montavius

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Droid 2 Global
The international versions of the g3 have it.

The Next Radio app is supported by Sprint for the LG G3 so I presume the FM radio option is available in the states. Will a "factory unlocked" LG G3 have the FM radio feature, and will activating the phone on Verizon's network kill the FM radio option? Thanks.