FlyX V0.1 final question for droid X

green27614

Reaction score
OK, I had an HTc incredible that I rooted and hacked up and down. and worked fine..till it took a nose dive.
I was able to talk V(that carrier who shall remain nameless) into upgrading me to the droid x. Much to my chagrin I found out about the efuse lock a bit too late.
At any rate, I am now attempting to play with my X and try out a few "ROMS". FlyX sparked my interest.
I saw that one of the requirements was that you have to be running FROYO 2.2 leaked. now most of the postings I have seen with regard to this appear to be over a year old.

Here is my question, my X came with :

system version 2.3.151.MB810
Android Version 2.2

How does this affect my ability to load Flyx or any ROM for that matter? Is it possible to revert back to FROYO 2.2 without bricking the phone?

Are there any good tutorials for doing so?
I tried doing this out of the box last weekend and the phone just froze on the "M" . I did a couple of battery pulls and got it working, but that experience just got my sphincter a little too tight for my taste.

any advice or direction from those experienced with the droid X would be helpful.

Thanks!

Strikeir13

Reaction score
Don't run flyx, plain and simple. It's way behind as far as roms go, and since birdman sold his x, it's no longer supported. I would recommend RubiX, either focused (very minimalist) or blurry (probably less of a change from stock, still fast tho).

Edit: I think the version flyx is based on is incompatible with what you already have on your phone. Probs best to find a more up to date rom...

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

OP
green27614

green27614

Reaction score
oh really!!?? so birdman left us hangin high and dry then??
that still doesn;t answer my question about the 2.2 leaked. I have seen this requirement on a number of other ROMS as well.

Fabolous

Superuser
Developer
Reaction score
Website
fabdroid.com
oh really!!?? so birdman left us hangin high and dry then??
that still doesn;t answer my question about the 2.2 leaked. I have seen this requirement on a number of other ROMS as well.

The leak FlyX required was the original Froyo leak back when the DX was still running 2.1

The new leak (2.3.320) that some ROMs require is irreversible (at this point in time), and there are certain risks involved in flashing it (mostly not reading and following the directions to a T).

You'll find that a lot of ROMs have 2 versions that run on the version of Froyo you already have (2.3.15) and the new leak.

maderschramm

Reaction score
Yeah, you already have Froyo so you don't need the leak and shouldn't incorporate any roms that require such a thing on your phone.

Don't download FlyX. It was a proof of concept that is now irrelevant in the DX scene.

Rubix is a good choice for now. It's fast and many people use it so you can get help. I'm using simply stunning but it has a lot of hot reboot problems for me. Ultimate Droid is coming as well.

I used Apex before I switched to SS. I liked that rom as well.

lawrence87

Reaction score
It depends really what your looking for. I was on Apex from september till thanksgiving. I really liked it and everyone else that was attracted to the massive screen with the Nextheme. I didn't really use the social app on blur or its mostly crappy widgets. Apex not even over clocked was great. Also the bloat was gone with the wireless tether app already on it. The mail app i had to put the blurry version because of my school using corporate and every time my phone soft reboot because of froyo my phone kept saying update security settings for blah@blah.

The only issue i had with apex was the dialer and had to switch to Dialer one because the voice mail button causing the signal to refresh and i would be tempted to hit it when i had a voice mail. Visual voice mail i couldn't get working right but i switched to google voice which combined with dialer one solves my problems. Dialer one isn't bad but it could use improvements.

But i really liked apex then i switched to rubix 1.5.2 blurry which is good i been on it for a week so i been using the blurry dialer and the voice mail button works without the signal to fresh (note: the app signal fresh wouldn't do it and when i put it on airplane it showed 3g, i had the signal bug but that voice mail button came in handy cause it was the only thing that would work). If you use the social networking app and blur widgets also visual voice mail then go with rubix. If you dont and like google voice and want a awesome dock app without having a magnate to put it in media mode. then use Apex. google voice isnt bad plus its free not 2.99$ a month. i like it i just have to change the greeting because the standard one sucks.

I havent tried focused yet maybe one day ill get bored and do a backup and try it.

OP
green27614

green27614

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the quick responses- this is helpful.
Now...i am getting ready to try rubix 1.8.9. Where can I find the .sbf for 2.3.15? i would want this just in case I screw something up.
I really wish the admins of these forums would clean up older posts. It is very confusing to find the right info if you are looking at year or more old info.
also- do I need to do a wipe of data and cache before loading rubix? I notice that some of these roms do it for you or give you the option to select it.

Thanks!

HalfMoon

Reaction score
I
The only issue i had with apex was the dialer and had to switch to Dialer one because the voice mail button causing the signal to refresh and i would be tempted to hit it when i had a voice mail. Visual voice mail i couldn't get working right but i switched to google voice which combined with dialer one solves my problems.

Just to let you know, the latest ApeX doesn't have these issues, for me at least.

lawrence87

Reaction score
So does the voicemail button not do anything like the voice dial or does it go to VVM or GVoice?

I
The only issue i had with apex was the dialer and had to switch to Dialer one because the voice mail button causing the signal to refresh and i would be tempted to hit it when i had a voice mail. Visual voice mail i couldn't get working right but i switched to google voice which combined with dialer one solves my problems.

Just to let you know, the latest ApeX doesn't have these issues, for me at least.

HalfMoon

Reaction score
So does the voicemail button not do anything like the voice dial or does it go to VVM or GVoice?

I

When I press it, it goes to VVM for me.

OP
green27614

green27614

Reaction score
ok I flashed Rubix and works - ok- its missing a few things that I like but oh well- for now I am playing around...
If any one knows the answer to this question...i see there is a new Ultimate Droid version out. Does anyone know if this is compatible with DX?

does anyone have a URL or something that will give me a detailed description of the .apks for stock images and where I can get them. I would like to add some stuff back into this image - for instance- being able to add favorites (my frequently called numbers) back on to the desktop. this appears to be missing from the Rubix 1.8.9 image.

thanks in advance...