Flashy and fast rom for original droid/a854 milestone?

Discussion in 'Android Roms' started by sbaker34, Feb 20, 2011.

1. sbaker34

sbaker34 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I ran cyanogen mod for a while but one maddening thing about it is it caused such lag especially on the messaging app I would try to read a new message and it would often lag for 10 seconds.

I mainly want a rom to improve on the looks and features of stock android. I liked the ultimate droid 2.5.0 until I realized it seemed to be "borrowing" a lot from other devs, is there any Rom that has lots cool "eyecandy" while still remaining as fast as android 2.1?

2. T-Dev

T-Dev Member

Ratings:
    +0
    try Sourcery Sourcery ROM I think you will be very happy with speed/options available

3. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +17
    Chevy's 4.96 is a good one.

4. nornevrder

nornevrder Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah try sourcery

Sent From The Final Frontier

5. mkjellgren

mkjellgren Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just an fyi, almost all of the current roms have bits and pieces "borrowed" from other devs. That's just the way the community works and as long as proper credit is given where its due, nobody gets too worked up about it anymore.

That said, I would second the suggestion to give sourcery a shot. It has eye candy in spades with lots of theme and animation options available right from their own settings menu.

In terms of raw speed and stability I would say you really can't get much better than actngrezy's project elite 4.2. Its not quite as customized out of the box as some of the other options out there but it just plain works and has a nice looking stock gingerbread theme with other theme options available if you like a little bit more flash.

Overall if you are mostly looking for consistent speed and stability I would stay away from the gingerbread roms for the time being. They are fun to play around with but in my opinion none are quite ready for prime time just yet. For me, UD3.0 was the fastest and most stable of the current crop of GB roms. LGB is pretty solid as well and as always CM7 is at the bleeding edge but with so many nightly builds coming out fast and furious its hard to keep up.

Overall you have to understand that every Droid is slightly different and will perform very differently with various rom and kernal combinations. The only way to truly get your phone running at its peak performance is to literally TRY EVERYTHING. It takes time but when its all said and done and your year and a half year old "outdated" phone smokes the pants off of anything out there you'll be quite happy you did.

6. sbaker34

sbaker34 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Is there any way to avoid wiping my phone and having to redownload my old rom if I like it better each time? it gets a little annoying going though the hassle so many times.

7. mkjellgren

mkjellgren Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well, always make sure you make a nandroid backup of your current working setup so that you can flash back if something isn't working. However ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS format everything (boot, data, cache, and system) EVERY TIME you are installing a new rom. You wont need to wipe when flashing kernals or themes. Wiping just ensures there are not bits of conflicting code left over from your previous rom that may cause problems. Its a bit of a hassle but worth it in the end.

8. sbaker34

sbaker34 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I might check out soucery rom and chevy01, these shouldn't touch anything that a backup won't restore correct? My old phone was a buggy mess but since being factory reset by a tech It runs perfectly, twice the battery life, constant 3g and much faster. And both times were with 2.1

9. mkjellgren

mkjellgren Member

Ratings:
    +0
    What do you mean both times were with 2.1? The og Droid hasn't been on 2.1 for about 6 months. If you are running stock 2.1 or a 2.1 based rom your phone is WAY out of date.

But yes, if you have a working backup you can always flash back to that if anything goes wrong.

10. Vandy343

Vandy343 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I really like peteralfonsos stock gingerbread its on GPA12 now

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

11. sbaker34

sbaker34 New Member

Ratings:
    +0

I have the Milestone which is the unlocked version but it still runs on 2.1 It was really buggy last time and cyanogenmod fixed none of that but this time around it runs much better, I may just try cyanogen again to see if the phone magically works better with messaging like it already does.

12. hixie5

hixie5 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Give MIUI a shot. I have tried a couple other ROMs and always end up going back to MIUI. Looks great and has some options/features not in other ROMs.

Some features:
    Theme Manager/downloader
    Network Monitor (decide what apps use data and how, 3G or WiFi)
    Wireless Tether built in
    Built in Backup app for backing up and restoring Apps and System data
    Stable release with weekly updates

Just my opinion... :)

Search tags for this page

a854 roms

custom rom for droid a854
cyanogenmod 7 droid a854
cyanogenmod a854
fastedt mod for milestone 2

fastest rom for original droid

flashes milestone a854 originales