flashlight app?

cwright

Reaction score
Found it and bought it.... Works exactly as described. Thanks! I just searched for "LED" and it came up in the list. It uses both LED's also.

Droider

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have renamed the app from "CameraLED" to "LED Flashlight / Strobe" to get more visibility.

It's got strobe, tap, and a widget.

One more feature planned as well.

-niko

can the light be left on while doing a video recording?

CaptainDango

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have renamed the app from "CameraLED" to "LED Flashlight / Strobe" to get more visibility.

-niko

can the light be left on while doing a video recording?

Yes it can. I recorded a video of my g/f last night in the dark, works like a charm. :icon_ banana:

Much more features than the other one from Chet. Same price too, 99 cents, two level strobe, tap for on, widget. ect. ect.

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

-niko

Great app man,I just got it from the market. I love the strobe light effect! Great work. I will be intHerested in trying some more of your apps. I'd recommend this to everyone.

Last edited:

brianr0131

Reaction score
Niko,

Is thefact that the LEDs really aren't that bright just a product of the API? My one LED bb storm is WAY brighter than this and it has 2.

Is this a limitation of what a developer has access to?

Reaction score
Since these are led bulbs and not standard bulbs, is it safe to assume this wont harm them?

nikolatesla20

Reaction score
Niko,

Is thefact that the LEDs really aren't that bright just a product of the API? My one LED bb storm is WAY brighter than this and it has 2.

Is this a limitation of what a developer has access to?

Hi, yes it appears so for now. If you look thru the android source code you wont find anything about what the camera is doing with the light.

However, if the phone is connected to the debugger and you use the camera you will see "torch" messages appear that indicate the torch is being adjusted in power.

However, these messages appear to be in Moto's driver, not in android. For example, you call autoFocus() on their driver, it does the rest (as well as turning on the lights). There appears to be no way to access them in the same manner.

Harrison_W1137:

I dont believe there should be much of a concern, LED light last pretty much forever as long as you don't overpower them, and you don't connect them backwards. However, I'm thinking the reason that flashlight mode seems to run dimmer is for two reasons - one, to save power - two, it could be possible that the current is right at its limit in full power, so it may not be safe to leave them on for too long at that power.

-niko

Last edited:

Natolx

Reaction score
Well I'm assuming that the reason they aren't at full power is because the only "mode" currently available in the driver to developers that allows the LEDs to stay on(and not flash off) is the mode that turns on while auto focusing, which is dimmer than the flash.

pope66682

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

-niko
nikolatesla20, are you the creator? I have this app and use the widget, but for some reason it keeps force closing. This results in the widget not working. I have to open the app to be able to turn on the LED. Can this be fixed?

eclipsed4utoo

Reaction score
for anybody who bought MotoTorch, listen up....

Alright.... so I have some good news, some bad news, and some OK news.

First, the good news, I have an update ready for MotoTorch. Here are the features I have added:

1. The widget icon will now change depending on whether the LED is on or not.
2. An application has been added. You can now turn on the LEDs from either the widget or application.
3. In the application, you can set whether you want the screen to dim or not using a checkbox. This setting will be for the application and the widget.
4. You can now use the LEDs as a strobe light. There is a configurable field for how long you want the strobe to last(in seconds).
5. You can now send MORSE CODE. Just type in your "message", hit the button, and watch the dots and dashes go to work.

Now for the bad news. When I created the first version of MotoTorch, I had to create a "keystore" which creates a key to sign an application. Google requires that any application that is added to the Market is signed with a key. Somehow, the "keystore" became corrupted or I forgot the password. Since I had to create a new keystore, the Market would not allow me to "update" MotoTorch because of the different keys. So I had to add the new update as a totally new application.

Now the OK news is that since this is my fault, you shouldn't have to suffer. I am now giving the application away for free.

So for those who want to upgrade, you will need to uninstall the old version, then download the new version.

If you have any problems, let me know. Remember that I am always up for suggestions. You can email me directly from the application's page in the Market. Simply click on the "Send email to developer", choose your email client, then send me the email.

Also, the application name has changed a little. It's now MotoTorch LED. I felt it needed to be named something more descriptive.

Last edited:

Luxferro

Reaction score
I will not be charging for MotoTorch LED anymore. I am going to leave it as free.

Cool thanks a lot :)

I bought the first version, just uninstalled it to get the new one. Works nice so far. I like the option of turning off dim. A couple times with the old version it was bugging out my display, changing my screen timeout - now I can just disable it.

Nikous

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm from Argentina, and if everything goes smoothly, I'll have my Droid (Milestone here) the next month.

I don't know how the Android Market is going to work in my country, but I really wanna say thanks to the developers, in so little time the growing of this SO is awesome, and all thanks to them. The same for Eclipse.

kev83202

Reaction score
I will not be charging for MotoTorch LED anymore. I am going to leave it as free.

Though, if you like MotoTorch LED, you could donate toward it's continued development.

Donate With Paypal

Thanks for the app it works great. I bought the app last night but when I uninstalled today to get the new one it refunded the sale. I'll send some money to your donate link, you deserve something for you time :)