Flashing SPRecovery SBF to Stock 2.1

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by MarkDriod, Apr 13, 2010.

1. actngrezy

actngrezy New Member Developer

So if i flash the 2.1 sbfile then load a rom i wont even have to use the commands the rom will give me root access? Thats easy enough and shoukdnt b to hard even i i do have ti flash then type the commands..great info thanks
  2. gavron

gavron New Member

That is correct.

Flash the SBF and you then have SPRecovery.

Now put whatever ROM you want as either update.zip or tar.gz or nandroid/directory/backupname/stuff and let SPRecovery bring it back.

Cool well welcome!
    E
  3. jasonb

jasonb New Member

correct.

i did my brothers droid last night. i flashed the sprecovery .sbf file, did a nandroid backup of his stock phone, then installed chevy's SS3.1 update.zip.

whole process could take no more than 10, maybe 15 minutes. its real simple, and no adb commands needed(not that adb is bad, it just takes longer).
  4. Phreaker47

Phreaker47 Member

The guide definitely works exactly as it is written. If it isn't working for anyone, something wasn't done right along the way. It is likely to be the steps involving the adb commands because there seems to be some confusion surrounding that.

When you do the adb push commands, you should see a response with info about number of bytes transferred, etc. If this is not what you see, it is not being done right. Is the system partition mounted on the phone? Are you running the command from a short path (8.1 compliant path) like I mentioned, etc?
  5. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

^Thank you kindly for that. I didnt know what to say to look for if you are doing the push commands right. I remember when I first did it, I got a looong list of commands the first few times, but from using the Command Prompt on Windows alot, I knew it wasnt right.

Yea the guide is alot better than the one I used. And your notes at the end made it even better. The guide I used, it took another person to post clearer adb commands and what things to do to verify if adb was set up right.
  6. actngrezy

actngrezy New Member Developer

I had many problems flashing sbf to 2.0.1 rooting then loading roms. 3 roms would cause phone to get stuck at moto sign on a friends phone and finally did this step flash new sbf then loaded rom and worked great. no commands just loaded a 2.1 rom w superuser app. even though I didn't use the commands between this guide and the adb guide i def learned alot about using adb.Thanks for everything!
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  7. xrstoy1

xrstoy1 New Member

Can I then use Pete's "ESE81 Completely Stock With Proper Root, SU, & Baseband " by just renaming it update.zip and be completely rooted?
    or would I still have to manually add Su and superuser from the comand promt?
  8. gavron

gavron New Member

Yes you can...

E
  9. christim

christim DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

At this time I still link to the sbf 2.01 file in the 3rd link of my signature. I'm thinking it is time to upgrade that link to a thread such as this one. I'm thinking the 2.01 sbf is useful to return to a stock phone, while 2.1 sbf is faster to root and apply roms.
  10. MarkDriod

MarkDriod New Member

11. christim

christim DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

12. gpaw

gpaw New Member

anyone had success doing this with a mac?
  13. gavron

gavron New Member

I seem to recall a post where a guy used one of the virtual machines on a mac to do it. I can't find it easily tho.

E
  14. xrstoy1

xrstoy1 New Member

Worked like a charm Installed pete's upgrade and rooted only I wanted to overclock and the kernal only goes to 550, So now I guess I need to install a new kernal, or go with a mod.
  15. Hangul

Hangul New Member

Is there a guide available that detailing how to "unroot" and bring the phone back to stock in case a warranty repair/replacement or insurance claim needs to happen? I really want to try the Cyanogen mod but would like to the ability to return to stock if necessary.

I do know there is an unrooting guide out there (droidreview) but from what I gather it looks as if it is specifically for Droids that were rooted from 2.0.1 and not 2.1, which is what I am currently running.

Thanks in advance and please know I've googled and searched but I can't find anything that's "dumbed-down" enough for me to feel 100% comfortable with it.

If it makes it any clearer my goals are:

To root my mDroid
    Run the cyanogen mod (latest stable build)
    Have the ability to return to stock should it be necessary for repair or insurance claims

Thanks again.
  16. FuzzyBeard

FuzzyBeard New Member

Okay. I was very nervous about doing this, but I finally jumped in. First of all thanks to the makers of the guide and all the helpful posts. I got the SPRecovery on no problem. When it came to the adb commands I went crazy. first time it said it was starting a daemon...or something like that...and it hung up. Then no matter how many times I opened and closed the command prompt or rebooted the phone, the adb commands always hung up. At least I could reboot normallt...phew. Then I saw the adb shell post.....so I tried that. Got the # was able to exit, typed the first command....hung up....arrrrrgh. Tried it one more time, carefully typing each character...and it went! WooHoo! Anyway, long story long, I can get su on the emulator to work, but it comes up with a permission screen nobody mentions. Is that normal, or did I mess up a few commands?
  17. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

Is it a check box asking to allow or accept? If it is then u can check it to allow. Or remember this choice, something. I forgot right now.
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2010
  18. brochaos

brochaos New Member

yea, check the box to remember and then hit allow!
  19. BrooklynDROID

BrooklynDROID New Member

I couldn't flash SPRecovery onto my phone from my home computer (Vista), but had no problem from my work computer (XP).

SPRecovery flashed on no problems, and then I put the rooted 2.1 ESE81 ROM on. Wrapped it up with a Chevy 1.1 Low Voltage Kernel and I'm happy:)
  20. BoxcuttaStyle

BoxcuttaStyle New Member

Question for everyone. Is this actually 'root' access then? I've seen a few guides to 'root 2.1' but at the end of the day they've just used various roms that were not the stock 2.1 ota update. If this is indeed root why don't I see the '2.1 has been rooted!!!!' threads all over the place?

I just want to make sure I'm not going from one rooted custom rom to another.
Search tags for this page
defy black screen after flash sbf
dowmload free sprecovery
download free sprecovery
flashing sprecovery sbf to stock 2.2
rsd to push sprecovery
sbf droid stock zip file download
sprecovery download for apk
sprecovery droid
sprecovery ese81 .sbf

sprecovery sbf

sprecovery sbf download