Flashing SPRecovery SBF to Stock 2.1

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by MarkDriod, Apr 13, 2010.

1. sicilianbadguy

sicilianbadguy New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    nope it just displayed a bunch of commands i did mount the system before hand rebooted in recovery and still permission denied
  2. jroc

jroc Silver Member

Ratings:
    +61
    ok well try to boot the phone all the way up, find and use terminal emulator. Or some free app that u need to be rooted to use. I think ROM Manager free version needs root to run.
  3. kdizzi3

kdizzi3 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Help got syntax error on Command screen after last command
  4. jroc

jroc Silver Member

Ratings:
    +61
    Just try entering it again. If the last line is the only time an error popped up, it may just be something typed in wrong. I would try to enter the lines one at a time, hit enter too.
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2010
  5. kdizzi3

kdizzi3 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    it gave me super user tho..??
  6. jroc

jroc Silver Member

Ratings:
    +61
    ^ Well try using Terminal Emulator to see if u root. Do u remember what the error was?

Do u mean a long list of commands? If that happened something didnt go right. Thats why its best to type one line at a time, hit enter, repeat.
  7. jasonb

jasonb Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    wow! this was super easy. my brother just got a droid with the 2.1 update and he asked if i could hack it like i did with mine. this method obviously is a bit different than it was when we rooted 2.0.1 but honestly it's waaaay quicker and way easier.

i flashed the .sbf file with RSDLite and then installed Chevy's latest simply stunning ese81 rom.

worked like a charm! he's happy. :)
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2010
  8. sicilianbadguy

sicilianbadguy New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    ya like after each line i entered it would display a list of commands i would enter the next line do the same enter the next etc....
  9. actngrezy

actngrezy Active Member Developer

Ratings:
    +2
    Ok imdef a little confused on the command part. So say i have the 2 files in a folder called root what do i type to navigate to those files? Im soory im def a noob when it comes to commands and what not and iv flashed my friends phone back to 2.0.1 4 times to root install sp to only get stuck at moto sign every rom i install and even every backuo i flash so i figure rooting his 2.1 and installig a rom will work this time but stuck ob commands.....
  10. jroc

jroc Silver Member

Ratings:
    +61
    I added something to my previous post. Maybe that step is being missed. Enter each line one at a time, hit enter, repeat. To verify u can use adb type adb shell and hit enter. If you don't get a # somethings not right. U should be able to type adb shell, hit enter, get the # sign, then type exit to start over and try to push the 2 files.

Say if I have a folder on the C drive called 'adb files' that has the 2 files in it. If on Windows, u open up the Command Prompt (normally done thru Run, then type cmd) Then u navigate to the folder that has the 2 files. When u navigate to a folder, u always hit enter to be in that folder. an easy way to navigate to a folder is:

Open the folder that has the 2 files in it
    In Windows, go to View, Toolbars, click on Address Bar. It should be a check there. Now u can see the total path to whatever folder u open. Highlight that entire path, right click, choose Copy, go back to the Command window, right click, choose Paste to put the folder path in the window. Hit enter to be in the folder. When navigating to a folder in the Command window, u have to use the cd command

At this moment, I hooked my phone up to the PC while the phone is booted. I typed adb shell. I hit enter, I got the # sign. I typed exit, hit enter, Im back to where I started. Typed adb shell again, hit enter, again I got the # sign. Typed exit, hit enter again. If u type adb shell, hit enter and dont get that # sign, or u get it and cant type exit, somethings not right. The entire line is:

adb push su /system/bin/su (this whole line is the entire line that has to be entered before u hit Enter)

adb push Superuser.apk /system/app/Superuser.apk (see above)

adb shell "/system/bin/chmod 6755 /system/bin/su" (see above)

adb shell "/system/bin/chmod 644 /system/app/Superuser.apk" (see above)

I hope some of yall know u dont have to use adb to get root. Once u get SPRecovery on the phone, u can just install a custom ROM and that will give u root too. I rooted an easier way when I first got my phone. I saw this for rooting stock 2.1 and just gave it a try.
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2010
  11. actngrezy

actngrezy Active Member Developer

Ratings:
    +2
    So if i flash the 2.1 sbfile then load a rom i wont even have to use the commands the rom will give me root access? Thats easy enough and shoukdnt b to hard even i i do have ti flash then type the commands..great info thanks
  12. gavron

gavron New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    That is correct.

Flash the SBF and you then have SPRecovery.

Now put whatever ROM you want as either update.zip or tar.gz or nandroid/directory/backupname/stuff and let SPRecovery bring it back.

Cool well welcome!
    E
  13. jasonb

jasonb Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    correct.

i did my brothers droid last night. i flashed the sprecovery .sbf file, did a nandroid backup of his stock phone, then installed chevy's SS3.1 update.zip.

whole process could take no more than 10, maybe 15 minutes. its real simple, and no adb commands needed(not that adb is bad, it just takes longer).
  14. Phreaker47

Phreaker47 Member

Ratings:
    +20
    The guide definitely works exactly as it is written. If it isn't working for anyone, something wasn't done right along the way. It is likely to be the steps involving the adb commands because there seems to be some confusion surrounding that.

When you do the adb push commands, you should see a response with info about number of bytes transferred, etc. If this is not what you see, it is not being done right. Is the system partition mounted on the phone? Are you running the command from a short path (8.1 compliant path) like I mentioned, etc?
  15. jroc

jroc Silver Member

Ratings:
    +61
    ^Thank you kindly for that. I didnt know what to say to look for if you are doing the push commands right. I remember when I first did it, I got a looong list of commands the first few times, but from using the Command Prompt on Windows alot, I knew it wasnt right.

Yea the guide is alot better than the one I used. And your notes at the end made it even better. The guide I used, it took another person to post clearer adb commands and what things to do to verify if adb was set up right.
Search tags for this page
defy black screen after flash sbf
dowmload free sprecovery
download free sprecovery
flashing sprecovery sbf to stock 2.2
rsd to push sprecovery
sprecovery download for apk
sprecovery droid
sprecovery ese81 .sbf

sprecovery sbf

sprecovery sbf download