Flashing questions...

Discussion in 'Android Roms' started by Scott_T, Mar 31, 2010.

1. Scott_T

Scott_T New Member

Been reading WAY too much and have myself really confused on a few points. Although all roads lead to Rome and maybe I'm ok....LOL

Anyhow new to the Droid. Have Iphone, jailbroke before and in the past did ROMS on a HTC Vogue. Loved the vogue, tethering was huge for me. Understood that unit well, but it's been a few years.

So I immediately rooted my droid. Then went with, after reading , Cyanogenmod For Droid V5.0.5.4 via ROM Manager.

1st question: Is tethering built in? If so where is it? If not built in I can figure out how to install....

While this Droid is new I figured I'd try a few ROMS to see which I like. The next I want to try is Ultimate Droid V8.

So I am hung up on a few things. I paid for Titanium backup. I believe I can use it when switching between ROMS to restore my apps and settings. Is this correct?

Would I then flash with Ultimate Droid 8, reinstall Titanium, which I imagine I'd have to set up gmail so I can get into market, then restore apps and be up and running again?

I also did a Clockwork Recovery like this:
    Reboot into recovery mode (hold the power and "x" button at the same time)
    -Choose Nandroid, Make Backup of Old Rom (optional)

I am hoping if I want to get back to my Cyanogenmod For Droid V5.0.5.4 I can use that backup? Is this correct? And if I used that, I would have everything as it was, correct?

I also backed up my factory droid in this manner in case I have to fail back...

Please let me know if I am on the right track here....

Thanks,

Scott
  2. yamaha83

yamaha83 New Member

that should work! not sure titanium can backup things like calls and SMS and MMS... for that i use my backup pro! also, you can do a backup from within rom manager and it will also (or has for me) aske you if you want to run a backup before you install a new rom! im on UD 9.0 and its awesome! and it comes with the teather app... but im sure you can find the .apk on this site floating around somewhere...
  3. brando56894

brando56894 New Member

I just flashed to CyanogenMod a few days ago and it runs very well for me compared to other roms ::knocks on wood::

From what I read you seem to be on the right track, I think I saw somewhere that CM is slightly different to uninstall than others, IDK if that means unrooting or what since I didnt fully read it, I guess we'll find out when we try to remove it.

You should be able to restore everything with either titanium backup or nandroid.

Like you I want to go (back) to Ultimate Droid, but my phone was screwing up with everything a few days after the installs and Ive been rom hopping to see what the problem is.
  4. Scott_T

Scott_T New Member

Well before anyone answered the thread here I risked it and tried to flash UD8---Never knew 9 was out.

Anyhow It failed. I think it was at Format system...
    -Do a Factory Reset
    -Go Into Partition Menu
    -Format SYSTEM
    -Format BOOT
    -Go Back With Power Button
    -Choose Nandroid
    -Restore UltimateDroid

There was no option to format system...So I went and followed all steps except that one and it failed. I was able to reinstall my backup and was up and running 100% in like 10 minutes...

I'll have to look into what happens or needs to happen to remove CM...

I like CM fine, just wanted to ROM hop a bit to see whats out there. Stability is big so...I just want my CM to look a bit slicker....Guess I have to dive into themes....

Scott
  5. brando56894

brando56894 New Member

I noticed that there isnt a "format /system" option either but I just skipped it, but then again I was switching from CyanogenMod 5.0.5.4 to JRummy's Remix CyanMod, which I highly suggest you try.

Its a light blue (cyan) themed CM with a lot of additions.
  6. Scott_T

Scott_T New Member

Was just gonna give that one a try brando.....only thought was JRummy's Remix CyanMod was 5.0.5.3, a rev back....Likely not a biggie....Backing up, again, now.....
  7. Scott_T

Scott_T New Member

So far Jrummy looks great......Just doing the titanium restore of apps and data.....

Very sweet.....

Scott