Flashing Overclock Kernels = Loss of Root

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Dudeicus_Maximus, May 25, 2010.

1. Dudeicus_Maximus

Dudeicus_Maximus New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm using the stock 2.1 which I rooted myself. I have busybox installed, su and superuser.apk. I definitely have root. Root apps prompt for permissions. However when I tried flashing an overclock kernel to flash_image, the device hangs at the Motorola logo boot screen. When I flash an overclock kernel .zip renamed "update" (such as bekit) applications lose root access, and I can't issue root commands in the terminal emulator, yet I can still be root through adb. This is obviously a problem, because even though I am clearly overclocked, I can't control it with SetCPU because it won't get root!

I am wiping data and doing advanced nandroid backups between each attempt. Currently, I'm using rooted, stock 2.1 with no overclock.

It's obviously something in the Bekit file, I just don't know what it could be. For the manual flash_image method, there must be something incompatible within the boot.img.

Any ideas?

(PS - I'm not looking for a solution to overclock, but a little insight into this particular situation. I am well aware that I can flash a custom ROM.)

Last edited: May 25, 2010
  2. mcapozzi

mcapozzi Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Weird, try un-installing and re-installing SetCPU, maybe the superuser whitelist is kernel dependent.

I have an app (I'm using BB v1.0 with a BeKit 1Ghz kernel) called Superuser Permissions that contains a whitelist of apps that I have allowed root access. I goofed the first time I ran SetCPU and denied it root, so I had to go into the Superuser Permissions app and I could change/remove the accidental "deny".

-Mike

3. brochaos

brochaos Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i'm rooted stock 2.1, overclocked, and i've switched from chevy's kernels to p3droids kernels with no loss of root whatsoever. i tried flashing bekit's once, but they wouldn't work, not sure why, either because i'm stock rom, or because i was using sprecovery.

4. Dudeicus_Maximus

Ratings:
    +0
    I tried reinstalling SetCPU, no go. I'll try more overclock kernels. Either way I would still love to find out exactly what it is that's either disabling, replacing, or breaking my root.

--
    I thought maybe removing /system/xbin (containing the "pete" file) since I associate that directory with su and flash_image would help, but it does absolutely nothing. It's obviously something within the image that breaks root. Maybe I should just ask Bekit himself... though I'm sure he would suggest that I use his ROM. =) Which is fine, I don't think anything is wrong with it. I just prefer simple, basic stuff with no pre-added or removed packages. I wish I was just better at programming so I could build my own overclocked kernel for my phone. I just don't know where to start.

edit: Oh yeah... How to compile your own kernel

5. brochaos

brochaos Member

Ratings:
    +0
    have you tried going back to p3droids?

how did you even get bekits to flash? are you using sprecovery?

6. Dudeicus_Maximus

Ratings:
    +0
    For some reason I thought Bekit and Bugless Beast were associated some how, but I guess I got confused because people mention flashing Bekits kernels to Bugless Beast. So no, Bekits didn't work for me.

The P3 links I've seen are dead. They're on ROM Manager but I would rather not pay for an application that does what I've been doing myself for months on my old phone (Droid Eris).

I tried building my own but got errors while creating the config file and issuing the make command, and I'm also having problems getting adb in Ubuntu to work with the Droid (works on the Eris, and Windows adb works fine), and I've been at this for like a day and a half... so I gave up.

BUT... Chevy's kernel is working great so far! No root issues or anything. But it's only been an hour or so, I'm hoping there are no force closes or temperature problems in the future.

7. Se7enLC

Se7enLC Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The kernel should have NOTHING to do with superuser permissions. Whatever you did was something else, possibly unrelated.

Go to a terminal prompt and type "su" and see what it says. If you get a # prompt or a dialog popup asking for permissions, root is working fine.

8. jntdroid

jntdroid DF Super Moderator Premium Member

Ratings:
    +292
    i've rooted 2.1 and the only oc kernels i've gotten to work are p3's and Chevy's - bekits doesn't like stock root

9. Dudeicus_Maximus

Ratings:
    +0
    Well, it is related. I did an advanced nandroid backup before flashing a Bugless archive containing the overclock kernel and all apps had root. Immediately after flashing, like I said, apps lose root access. Don't tell me it didn't happen. It has happened, I watched it happen... I saw it happen, don't tell me it didn't happen.

Last edited: May 26, 2010
  10. jntdroid

Ratings:
    +292
    it didn't happen :icon_ poke:

j/k - that exact thing happens to me whenever i try and flash a bekit kernel on a stock root (only tried twice, but still), so clearly bekit doesn't like rooted stock/su for some reason

out of curiousity Dudeicus, are you running a stock "rom" (like Pete's or Woody's) or did you push superuser to OTA 2.1?

11. mcapozzi

mcapozzi Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It didn't happen (j/j)...

Some people have had issues with the version of Busybox they have installed.

You could try putting a new one on via this method:
    Install Busybox | Root Your Droid

-Mike

12. jntdroid

Ratings:
    +292
    not saying you're wrong, but that's what i use to install busybox after i root and i still have the same bekit issue he's having... not that it really matters b/c p3 and chevy are great kernels as well

13. mcapozzi

mcapozzi Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I probably AM wrong, I just Googled "Broken Droid Root", and that is one of the first things that popped up.

Maybe by following the steps there, he can get an error which might lead to an answer/fix.

-Mike

14. Dudeicus_Maximus

Ratings:
    +0
    I followed those instructions on rootyourdroid.info. Chevy's worked out of the box though. I'm over it, but still curious.

15. Dudeicus_Maximus

Ratings:
    +0
    The first time I was running the OTA rom that I pushed root permissions to myself. After a while of screwing with my phone I started from scratch (went back to 2.0.1, got the official OTA 2.1 update) and used a pre-built root "update" posted on a tutorial on droidmod I believe. Both times I had the same results with the Bugless overclock kernels though.

Last edited: May 26, 2010
Search tags for this page
exhibit 2 how to overclock
exhibit 2 overclocking
flash kernel using terminal emulator

how to flash overclock kernel