1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

flashing clockwork recovery via RSD Lite

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by thanif19, Dec 6, 2010.

1. thanif19

thanif19 New Member

Does any one know if this is possible? I have gotten myself in a predicament where all my nandroid backups where made with clockwork recovery and I flashed SPrecovery to try and load an update.zip file with out doing a nandorid backup first with SPrecovery. Well needless to say things didn't go right and I can't restore via sprecovery because no back up exists. I was hoping to be able to flash clockwork with RSDLite so I can go into its recovery and restore one of my back ups. Unfortunately I can't find any clockwork recovery sbf files. Is my situation hopeless or can my phone still be saved?
  2. Tallica

Tallica Premium Member Premium Member

Just download the free version of Rom Manager from the market and flash Clockwork with that.
  3. thanif19

thanif19 New Member

Thats the problem I can't get past the cyanogen splash screen that pops up right after the Motorola sign. When I get to the cyanogen screen it just seems to constantly reload and never lets me go further. I am left having to take out battery and boot into recovery to do a backup. Every time I try to load a theme with a zip file this happens. I just forgot to make a back up with sprecovery before I tried to it this time.
  4. teddyearp

teddyearp New Member

You can manually flash the clockworkmod recovery while booted into recovery, I think. I have a guide at my site for flashing the custom recovery manually. It has the SPRecovery, but if you go to my files link and get one of the clockworkmod recovery .img files there I am sure you can substitute it and figure it out.

good luck

p.s. because no one has made a special .sbf file with CMRecovery as of yet.
  5. thanif19

thanif19 New Member

Thanks a lot, this looks like it may work. Going to give it a shot now and see how it comes out.

6. thanif19

thanif19 New Member

7. teddyearp

teddyearp New Member

Sorry, I am not as quick as the others around here for responding. If you are booting into the SPRecovery system you should be able to bypass that command as you are already logged in as 'su'. This should be indicated by your prompt being shown as a '#' instead of a '$'. The rest of my reply hinges on this fact. If you are not presented with a '#' prompt after entering adb shell, forget the rest of my reply.

I will try to modify the commands here for you. But it's going to take a little understanding on your part as well. The tricky part (which might make this whole thing fail) is that you're going to replace your recovery image while booted into the recovery partition.

OK, while booted into SPRecovery, go to the 'mount options' menu, then Mount /system. This will alleviate the need for the 'mount -o [etc]' command. Now, if you have the flash_image binary on your sdcard, you _should_ be able to follow these commands:

Code:
    mv /sdcard/flash_image /system/bin/flash_image
    chmod 755 /system/bin/flash_image
    sync
    reboot recovery
    I used /system/bin for you as not everyone is old school and has a /system/xbin folder. Now after the phone reboots you can go back through the SPRecovery menu and unmount /system. Then you should be able to just issue this command:
    Code:
    flash_image recovery [wherever and whatever the CMRecovery file is and named].img
    sync
    reboot recovery
    Now you should be able to restore your CMRecovery nandroid backups. I hope this was of some help, I know my stuff isn't really the n00best friendly, but it usually gets the job done if read and followed carefully.

good luck
  8. furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal Super Moderator

So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wi
    Teddy, you have the recovery-clockwork-2.5.0.1-sholes.img file too? I thought I was the only one. :)

One question; OP, can you boot into SPRecovery? Do a hardware reset, should clear up your bootloop.
  9. teddyearp

teddyearp New Member

Furman, I have more Droid files than God in my folder below. 388 at this time. Including that one and about 15 or so other CMRecovery and about 5 SPRecovery. ;)
  10. thanif19

thanif19 New Member

Thanks Teddy for your help but I still must be doing something wrong because I am getting the following when I type in your first command:

C:\android\tools>adb devices
    List of devices attached
    040363211901D017 recovery

C:\android\tools>adb shell
    # mv/sdcard/flash_image/system/bin/flash_image
    mv/sdcard/flash_image/system/bin/flash_image
    mv/sdcard/flash_image/system/bin/flash_image: not found
    #

Thanks for the help.
  11. thanif19

thanif19 New Member

I tried to do a factory reset but it still didn't solve the boot loop problem :(
  12. furbearingmammal

Tell me what your bootloader says.
  13. thanif19

thanif19 New Member

when I boot into bootloader it says

Bootloader 2c.7c

Battery OK
    OK to Program
    COnnect USB
    Data Cable
  14. furbearingmammal

You have three options; flash SPRecovery via SBF, use that to flash a ROM, then within that ROM flash Clockwork and restore your backups, flash stock ROM via SBF, root and flash Clockwork and restore your backups, or keep trying ADB. ADB is more reliable but at the moment you don't seem to be able to get it to work, RSD Lite can be very finicky (which is why teddy doesn't like it), but might get it done now.
  15. thanif19

thanif19 New Member

Thanks, I guess I will just flash sprecovery again and load a ROM and go from there. I really appreciate every one's help!
  16. furbearingmammal

Good luck and let us know.
  17. teddyearp

teddyearp New Member

syntax error
    Well, that looks good and just as it should.

Well the first thing that glares out to me is the syntax in the above. Syntax needs to be exact, and that means the exact command(s) including the spaces between them. In the above I see NO space where it should be in your first command. The exact command I gave you(copy/paste if you need to):
    Code:
    Your rendition of it:
    Code:
    mv/sdcard/flash_image/system/bin/flash_image
    I hope now that the difference is obvious, lots of spaces missing up there. I do not post this to make you feel stupid, I just post to make it perfectly clear to you and the readers who come along later. When you are dealing with command line commands, syntax needs to followed EXACTLY or the ONLY result will be a FAILURE.

The only other thing _might_ be that you didn't have the flash_image file on your sdcard, but the syntax error above would still have stopped you.
  18. thanif19

thanif19 New Member

well I caught the syntax error as well after I posted and attempted to fix it but this is still what I got:

# mv /sdcard/flash_image /system/bin/flash_image
    mv: not found

the comuter I am using also gave me a lot of problem with RSDLite when I was first rooting and flashing sprecovery via SBF so I am going to try another computer to see if it fixes the problem. I doubt but I want to exhaust every avenue.
  19. thanif19

thanif19 New Member

well I finally fixed the problem thanks to your help. for some reason I couldn't get it to work via adb shell so I took fur's advice and just flashed another rom and then it fixed the bootloop problem. THanks again to every one for your help!
  20. furbearingmammal

Glad we got it working for you by hook or by crook. :)
Search tags for this page
adb flash recovery recovery-clockwork-2.5.0.1-sholes.img chm
clockworkmod recovery .sbf
clockworkmod recovery .sbf file
clockworkmod recovery .sbf file.
droid x2 flash recovery via sbf file
flash recovery using rsdlite on flipout

flash recovery with rsd lite

instalar clockwork via rsd
installing clockworkmod recovery rsd lite

recovery-clockwork-2.5.0.1-sholes.sbf

rsd flash recovery img