1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Flashed SPRecovery now MotoDroid 1 reboots every 15 seconds.

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by balancedclimate, Sep 11, 2010.

1. balancedclimate

balancedclimate New Member

I have a MotoDroid1, was running Froyo1.whatever. The phone was rooted with EasyRoot and i used Barnacle Tether to provide Wifi for my iPad. last week received 2.2 update and lost that ability. last night I flashed SPRecovery and now the phone reboots every 15 seconds. I first flashed SPRecovery_ESE81.sbf which started the problem and the i tried flashing MC1_A855_1282081087_Recovery-Only_SPRecovery_0.99.3b.sbf which didn't seem to change anything. Not sure what to do next.

It,s only reebooting when it is plugged in to a usb or charger, otherwise it just shuts down.
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
  2. DF Smod

DF Smod New Member

3. balancedclimate

Yes, I followed the steps exactly the second time, as the first post i followed didn't have the Dpad up on reboot step in it. I can see that a different recovery console (if that's what you call it. I assume it's equivalent to the bios on a PC) is inatlled, I don't get the ! & yield sign any more when I - "X + boot". It just seems whatever used to monitor the battery level isn't working. It doesn't even recognize when it's plugged into the charger.
  4. DF Smod

DF Smod New Member

Is it still constantly rebooting ?
  5. balancedclimate

It's not every 15 seconds it's more like 45 seconds. And it only reboots when plugged in to a usb or charger, otherwise it just shuts down. The battery indicator is red ( no power) and the the display says plug into charger although it's already plugged in. The phone was working perfectly prior to flashing SPRecovery.
  6. DF Smod

DF Smod New Member

When your device is doing this it means your battery is completely dead, it is not the first time we have dealt with this and chances are it has nothing to do with SPR, you need to plug it your device and just let it charge, preferably on a wall charger for a few hours, and then see if it boots up
  7. balancedclimate

I had the phone plugged into the wall charger all night last night. Woke up this morning to my cousin telling me someone was trying to call me because he heard the phone vibrating every 45 seconds. It was the phone rebooting. Battery still red. Display still says plug into charger.
  8. balancedclimate

Just switched batteries with my wife's Droid. Both work fine in her phone neither works in my phone.
  9. DF Smod

DF Smod New Member

You might have to purchase an external charger, or an extra battery to get it going again
  10. DF Smod

DF Smod New Member

Wow, well that rules that out
  11. DF Smod

DF Smod New Member

Did this happen right after you flashed the SBF
  12. Tallica

Tallica Premium Member Premium Member

Ok, by doing all the things you did you really messed up your phone...no worries though, you are far from bricked.

To fix:

Link 2 in my sig, Option 5, then link 3 in my sig to root correctly. Then you can flash any Rom you like with SPR.
  13. Tallica

Tallica Premium Member Premium Member

My guess is it happened after he accepted the OTA without having a custom recovery, A VERY COMMON PROBLEM here!

But flashing the ese81 sbf over the top did not help for sure.
  14. christim

christim Super Moderator

I agree with Tallica there, going back to stock will most likely stop the boot cycle. Tparker is right that phones will reboot when dead but here is another test for that:

If you get into sprecovery and the phone sits there for hours and doesn't reboot then the battery is probably fine and the issue is most likely a mismatch between rom version and kernel version.

Flashing a known good nandroid backup would be another good battery test. You should be able to restore your last good backup and be running again too. It's up to you if you which path you'd like to take.
  15. DF Smod

DF Smod New Member

Having an extra battery makes it easy too, and as we all know, it is difficult to restore a back-up if you didn't make one :icon_eek:
  16. balancedclimate

Thanks guys,
    Back to stock recovery. Everything seems to be back to normal. Can't thank you enough.

FYI I updated to Froyo2.2 last week and the phone worked great, actually faster since the update. Had absolutely no problems until flashing "SPRecovery_ESE81.sbf" last night. It started giving me the battery problem instantly after reboot.

Thanks Again
  17. DF Smod

DF Smod New Member

Glad you got it all resolved :)
  18. Mikejl

Mikejl New Member

I have found that if you are running Froyo 2.2 and you flash SPRecovery_ESE81.sbf with RSD Lite for whatever reason, you need to have a nandroid backup or ROM ready to install. This will prevent this situation from occurring.

I have put myself in this situation several times by going back to stock and and flashing SPRecovery_ESE81.sbf. The battery problem happens everytime.

Mike
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
  19. christim

christim Super Moderator

Just some info here...

What's occurring is you flash ese81 sprecovery and it includes a 2.1 kernel. You then try and reboot into a 2.2 Android OS and it crashes and reboots. If you jump right into SPRecovery you can use the mount option to get a rom on the phone and flash it with sprecovery without rebooting, or if before you start you place a rom via the /sdcard/update.zip method then you also can enter SPRecovery and flash the rom you want.

Or you use the SPRecovery file that has no kernel included that is in MotoCache1's guide.

I think the ese81 was flashed, which put the wrong kernel into play. Then Moto's SPRecovery, with no kernel was flashed but the wrong kernel was still in play because that SPRecovery comes with no kernel.
  20. MotoCache1

MotoCache1 Chief Droid Scientist

Is there some ongoing use for ESE81_SPRecovery that justifies it continuing to be available?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk