Flash Shows Off HTML5 On Mobile Devices

WenWM

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
[video=youtube;sFFax1oYyBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFFax1oYyBE&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - Flash Outperforms HTML5 on Mobile Devices[/video]
Its not everyday that someone gets a chance to prove new technology inferior to what is already available, but it seems today might just be one of those days. This report was posted by Adobe blog, and it tells us that in test, Flash outperforms the latest HTML5 on mobile phones. This does not come as a surprise to me since devices have now been optimized for such technology and HTML5 is still just beginning to flex its muscles.

The results are as followed:

HTML5 Canvas on iPhone 4: 22fps
HTML5 Canvas on Nexus One: 40fps
Flash Player 10.1 on Nexus One: 57fps

The remote did not end there. It went on to say that battery life was 50 percent better with Flash than HTML5, which shows that Flash might still just be the best for our Droids till HTML5 catches up.

What do you think of these results? I want to hear what your thoughts are.

Via: TalkAndroid

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Thoughts...

HTML5 is rough around the edges, though the promise is great. Flash it old, kinda clunky, but works fairly well.

But most importantly? I HAVE Flash. HTML5 is off in the distance for a bit. Flash is now.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I went and checked out the benchmark info, and my impression at this point is we are looking at a "demonstration," not an "experiment." The important difference is (1) in the first case, many arbitrary choices are made for the comparison, including the use of only 1 animation display, versus (2) in the second case, the hardware and software of each phone are carefully taken into consideration, and the choices made for the comparison avoid advantages to one system over the other.

To the writer's credit, he has re-run his demo several times after responding to various criticisms, each time making the comparison more fair.

The best way to do this is to select a reasonable range of animation displays to measure, rather than just one. I'd love to see those data, and better yet, I'd love to see Flash kick HTML5's rear end. Unfortunately, this isn't it.

-Matt

PS Remember, we've seen several comparisons like this before. Two examples: the color reproduction of the screen, and the ability to draw straight lines (both widely discussed when the Nexus 1 came out). When those tests didn't put the Droid in first place, we cried foul because the "tests were unfairly biased." We can't claim success here for the same reason.

DoctorDeDroid

Reaction score
Thoughts...

HTML5 is rough around the edges, though the promise is great. Flash it old, kinda clunky, but works fairly well.

But most importantly? I HAVE Flash. HTML5 is off in the distance for a bit. Flash is now.

Absolutely right... HTML5 is new... I've no way of telling what's "better" really. I suppose if it crashes my browser (most recent flash update on my droid 1 is alot better about that sort of thing now :), then I can see counting it as inferior. HTML5 demos don't seem to run on my droid 1's browser... so it goes.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thoughts...

Absolutely right... HTML5 is new... I've no way of telling what's "better" really. I suppose if it crashes my browser (most recent flash update on my droid 1 is alot better about that sort of thing now :), then I can see counting it as inferior. HTML5 demos don't seem to run on my droid 1's browser... so it goes.

+1 Flash is more mature. HTML5 is still new. Is HTML5 even finalized yet? I saw some some demos in the new Internet Explorer browser, it looks nice.

everstar80

Reaction score
Not gonna say that flash is perfect and there are some modifications need to me made, but overall I am content with the performance of flash. I think after a couple of updates it will rock.