Flash ROMs with Nandroid or Update .zip?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by DanielC, Jan 28, 2010.

1. DanielC

DanielC Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys, sorry if this question has been answered before, but i searched to no avail. I see many of the ROMs are availible in both a nandroid backup and update.zip versions, and was curious if there are reasons one would use one or the other? I assume the best option is through nandroid but I'm not sure. Currently on Bugless Beauty, but would like to try out other roms without losing any data/apps. Thanks in advance,

Daniel :motdroidvert:

2. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't have enough experience to help you out too much, but I just installed Bugless Beast with the update.zip and it worked fine.

3. Guchi

Guchi Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    it doesnt matter as long as you install sprecovery first and do a nandroid backup. at least thats my impression, correct me if im wrong

4. DanielC

DanielC Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes that's how I did it as well, but I'd like to know if there would be any ill effects if i tried to change over to another ROM with that method. Also I noticed on Bugless Beauty that on the features list it said the 2.1 launcher was included but mine is simply a themed 2.0.1 launcher? any thought?

5. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    This morning I used SP to install the BBeast 800mhz rom, and I did this:

But I didn't do:

Then instead of following the next steps with installing the sholes rom.tgz I followed the instructions from:

AllDroid - View topic - [ROM] Bugless Beast [800MHz & Wifi] V0.7.1 (1/26/10)

Did I **** up or did I do it ok?

6. DanielC

DanielC Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Alright I got it figured out. Nandroid will be a last resort for me in case anything goes wrong, sinceI will only be running on 2.0.1 roms anyways. I changed over to Bugless Beast and it definitely is snappier with the overclock. What are some highly CPU intensive apps/ services I can run to see how well it does as far as heat goes?

7. vpshockwave

vpshockwave Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I would think merely having it on browsing the web/in a phone call would probably get it as hot as it's going to go.

8. tktouch12

tktouch12 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I was wondrring the same thing. Even about the same rom. When I choose nandroid, it brough me to the update.zip

9. DanielC

DanielC Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I simply followed Pete's instructions, where he says if you're on a rooted 2.0.1 rom then the update.zip method is fine, but if coming from a 2.1 rom to do the nandroid method, where you will lose your /data and cache, so you will have to back up your apps. Is this correct?

http://alldroid.org/viewtopic.php?f=309&t=1553

Big thanks to Pete, I'm loving BBeast :)

10. krise11385

krise11385 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If I'm swithchn from smoked glass to bugless can use the update zip) still new thanks I already downloaded the update zip but wna make sure before igo through with it . N is there any chance of me bricking it. If I screw up somehow ?I'm already rooted

11. tktouch12

tktouch12 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    can i still use the update.zip even if i have 2.1 gallery installed and the milestone browser?

12. DanielC

DanielC Member

Ratings:
    +0
    As long as you are on 2.0.1 i believe it should be ok. But DO make a Nandroid backup prior to applying the update.zip

Search tags for this page
create nandroid backup from flashable zip
flash rom with update.zip
flash rom with zip
how to flash zip rom
how to make flashable zip from nandroid backup

nandroid flash zip

nandroid restore.zip

pg31img.zip

rom.tgz to zip