Flash ROMs with Nandroid or Update .zip?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by DanielC, Jan 28, 2010.

1. DanielC

DanielC Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys, sorry if this question has been answered before, but i searched to no avail. I see many of the ROMs are availible in both a nandroid backup and update.zip versions, and was curious if there are reasons one would use one or the other? I assume the best option is through nandroid but I'm not sure. Currently on Bugless Beauty, but would like to try out other roms without losing any data/apps. Thanks in advance,

Daniel :motdroidvert:

2. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't have enough experience to help you out too much, but I just installed Bugless Beast with the update.zip and it worked fine.

3. Guchi

Guchi Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    it doesnt matter as long as you install sprecovery first and do a nandroid backup. at least thats my impression, correct me if im wrong

4. DanielC

DanielC Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes that's how I did it as well, but I'd like to know if there would be any ill effects if i tried to change over to another ROM with that method. Also I noticed on Bugless Beauty that on the features list it said the 2.1 launcher was included but mine is simply a themed 2.0.1 launcher? any thought?

5. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    This morning I used SP to install the BBeast 800mhz rom, and I did this:

But I didn't do:

Then instead of following the next steps with installing the sholes rom.tgz I followed the instructions from:

AllDroid - View topic - [ROM] Bugless Beast [800MHz & Wifi] V0.7.1 (1/26/10)

Did I **** up or did I do it ok?

6. DanielC

DanielC Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Alright I got it figured out. Nandroid will be a last resort for me in case anything goes wrong, sinceI will only be running on 2.0.1 roms anyways. I changed over to Bugless Beast and it definitely is snappier with the overclock. What are some highly CPU intensive apps/ services I can run to see how well it does as far as heat goes?

7. vpshockwave

vpshockwave Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I would think merely having it on browsing the web/in a phone call would probably get it as hot as it's going to go.

8. tktouch12

tktouch12 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I was wondrring the same thing. Even about the same rom. When I choose nandroid, it brough me to the update.zip

9. DanielC

DanielC Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I simply followed Pete's instructions, where he says if you're on a rooted 2.0.1 rom then the update.zip method is fine, but if coming from a 2.1 rom to do the nandroid method, where you will lose your /data and cache, so you will have to back up your apps. Is this correct?

http://alldroid.org/viewtopic.php?f=309&t=1553

Big thanks to Pete, I'm loving BBeast :)

10. krise11385

krise11385 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If I'm swithchn from smoked glass to bugless can use the update zip) still new thanks I already downloaded the update zip but wna make sure before igo through with it . N is there any chance of me bricking it. If I screw up somehow ?I'm already rooted

11. tktouch12

tktouch12 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    can i still use the update.zip even if i have 2.1 gallery installed and the milestone browser?

12. DanielC

DanielC Member

Ratings:
    +0
    As long as you are on 2.0.1 i believe it should be ok. But DO make a Nandroid backup prior to applying the update.zip

13. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

Ratings:
    +1
    IMHO,

I think certainly going between 2.1 base and 2.01 might be safer to do the full nandroid. One of the issues we have going now is that some roms are deodexed, and other not. This could mean extra files floating around on your phone. Also some of Pete's earlier works had factory apps in data. There are so many patches and tweaks out there in the different roms, pertaining to wifi, video hacks, etc, I really think that we do the rom developer a big disservice by using the update feature, without the benefit of wiping your phone so his/her rom has the best chance to run properly. I know the argument can be made, if Update does not work, why do they post the files to use? The answer is they want you to use their work, and they are sincere that that the update will work. Two edged sword for them, imho.

The rom developers all seem to be genuinely concerned about making sure everyone is happy and functional, but do we really want them spending unnecessary time chasing our individual little glitches, especially if they are caused by some unforeseen combination of mixing rom components. Personally, I want them developing, not trouble shooting my phone.

Drocap your particular program settings, sync with google, and it really isn't that bad. Now with that said, anyone know how to save or copy or something your browser bookmarks? That is my only peeve to what I wrote above:) Perhaps a file or something in cache?

Craig

14. daftlush

daftlush Member

Ratings:
    +0
  15. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Daft,

Thanks, that was easy. Now I can go crazy adding my bookmarks.

Craig

Search tags for this page
create nandroid backup from flashable zip
flash rom with update.zip
flash rom with zip
how to flash zip rom
how to make flashable zip from nandroid backup

nandroid flash zip

nandroid restore.zip

pg31img.zip

rom.tgz to zip