Flash on 2.1 possible?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by snakester, Aug 11, 2010.

1. snakester

snakester New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    OK, I love Froyo just as much as the next guy, but one of the main reasons I got this phone and switched to Verizon was because of the streaming media abilities of Android (in fact, it let me get rid of my XM). All 2.2 ROMs I've tried have had a TERRIBLE bug where enhanced AAC is not decoded properly. With more and more online radio providers using it, I'm really getting to my boiling point with it. I've also tried the so called "fix" and it works in probably one app. The rest still have the horrible raspiness and lack of punch to the music.

However, I've grown attached to my phone having the ability of Flash. It's probably the only thing I'd miss if I went back to 2.1. I suppose my question is if there's any way to get my phone back on 2.1 and still using Flash? Like I said, I'm at my wits end with the audio bug, it doesn't even let me use the phone for what I want to use it for.
    Thanks!

2. sremex

sremex Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You can't use flash on 2.1, but you can try sapphire and they have a patch for the poor audio. I for one haven't had a problem with the audio, but I use a streaming radio, not pandora.

3. aaf709

aaf709 Nice Guy
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +49
    The Skyfire browser is supposed to support some Flash.

4. sremex

sremex Member

Ratings:
    +0
    sky fire is does not have flash like you think. Videos don't load in the web page, you cant play games, not all videos work. You can however load videos separately and play it through skyfire's video player.

5. Tanknspank

Tanknspank Beta Team
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sapphire has a fix for this, plus a fix from google ported over to it, plus something you can manually edit to fix it too.

Sent from my Droid

6. snakester

snakester New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Do you mind elaborating a bit more? I'm not trying to be a jerk, and I've got no problem flashing again if it'll fix it, I just remember people saying FRG01B "fixed" it too, and it didn't. Do I just install the latest Sapphire to fix it? I'm hesitant because the last time someone told me I could manually fix it it didn't work.

#6 snakester, Aug 11, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  7. Tanknspank

Tanknspank Beta Team
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sapphire uses opencore 2.5 to decode all sorts of media better than stagefreight(or whatever its called) does, except for H.264 video, though it only takes a couple seconds longer. This includes AAC.

Sent from my Droid

8. snakester

snakester New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Alright, I'll flash to that and give it a try. I couldn't seem to get stagefright to disable in my current rom, even with the build.prop changes, so I'll flash tonight, give it a shot tomorrow and report back with what happens.

9. WoZzY

WoZzY The GRD Dev Team
    Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +1
    Also the new version of ultimate droid works well for streaming audio they are the first rom to have these advance setting for audio built into the roms settings i Have seen the performance & quality streaming of the audio up 200%

10. snakester

snakester New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well, even with all that it still seems to be decoding AAC improperly. The top end is decoded correctly, but the mid to low end (Anything that's not handled by the spectral band replication) is still distorted as hell. If Google seriously calls just fixing the SBR the solution, that's pathetic. And if this ROM truely uses OpenCore when I don't check Enable Stagefright, that means that Google broke that too. I tried iheartradio and Pandora, and they both still sound like crap.