Flash jelly bean update without rooting?

justin482005

Reaction score
I was reading a post when I saw someone state that you can put the brand new jelly bean leak final build on your phone without having to root it? That would be something I would want to do because In my personal opinion I think it would be more stable . Can somebody give me a link or a walkthrough on how to do this please Thanks

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
You have to download and use ODIN to flash the new build.... HOWEVER the one click root method does not work with the new JB leaks.. Just a heads up if you ever wanted to root in the future you would have to flash the recovery and unlocked bootloader... Can I ask what makes you think that rooting won't be as stable?? I have built a few ROMS based on the 3rd leak and it is EVERY bit as stable as the leak..(Except for 1 issue but that can be solved by using the stock gallery again) But here is a link to how to flash the 4th leak without rooting...... Just remember if you want to root in the future you will have to return to this link unless the DEVS can crack the new code.....

Install Leak No ROOT...

OP
justin482005

justin482005

Reaction score
Okay and when the official over the air update comes out will I be able to just updated my phone? Or would I have to go back in manually and uninstall everything that I just went through. And what I meant by not as stable was last time I rooted not with this galaxy but another Android device it seem like it slow the phone down and some weird funny thing started happening search is glitching freezing how to do a bunch of battery poles so I figured I probably may not want to do that again.

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
Okay and when the official over the air update comes out will I be able to just updated my phone? Or would I have to go back in manually and uninstall everything that I just went through. And what I meant by not as stable was last time I rooted not with this galaxy but another Android device it seem like it slow the phone down and some weird funny thing started happening search is glitching freezing how to do a bunch of battery poles so I figured I probably may not want to do that again.

Speculation is that you will still be able to take the OTA update even after flashing this... HOWEVER it isn't really possible to say for sure what kind of kooky crazy things VZW will have done..... As far as your other issues with rooting it is hard to say what could have caused that issue.... If you flashed a ROM that wasn't originally designed for that phone but was ported to it that could cause issues.... I only build stuff based on the original files for the phone. (with the exception of a few apps.) The more different systems you pull things from the more issues you can potentially have....

OP
justin482005

justin482005

Reaction score
It's really hard to tell I was pretty un educated as far as that went when I first tried to do this. I went to this link and I went to go download the new build and it's coming in when it's downloaded as something that my computer is not recognizing to open the file and it's not a tar file have you had this issue when downloading the new build?

jwilly216

Reaction score
justin482005 said:
It's really hard to tell I was pretty un educated as far as that went when I first tried to do this. I went to this link and I went to go download the new build and it's coming in when it's downloaded as something that my computer is not recognizing to open the file and it's not a tar file have you had this issue when downloading the new build?

You can't open the md5 file, u go to the pda thing in Odin and select the file

virgil71468

Reaction score