Flash for Driod 1 not going to happen!?

Sal

Reaction score
Why do you guys only quote the part where it says I promise? How about the part that clearly said I don't know when?;)

You know I get told things by certain people. These same certain people have been known to be able to stop on a dime and everything changes again. So I have no idea if what I heard 2 hours ago will be valid 2 hours from now.

Take yesterday for example. Nobody was more surprised by wuyanks story about the roll out being stopped completely. When I checked in with my people they simply said yes, it's true like "why are you even asking?" I didn't see that coming. Just as clueless as the rest of you.

If anything does change, keep your eye on the news section. That's where you'll find it.

Cool. Thanks. Now, about that Gingerbread. ....:icon_eek:

dmacleo

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
guys do realize the skyfire browser plays flash sites right?
not the same but a good work around until you get froyo/flash installed.

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
let me elaborate a bit here......

Will the Droid get 2.2 yes it will...will it be today no it won't. Will it get flash yes it will. When I'm not sure yet but let me tell you what I do know

First root is an issue for Motorola and VZW. So much so that VZW sais to me today they are rolling out a new "initiative for root awareness". With that a ZERO (o) tolerance policy about it. When I asked meaning what? He said " if you return a bricked device or damaged device that is rooted you will get charged back for a retail device! How are they gonna hold that up. I am not sure but he was very serious about. This rolls due to a memo from Motorola to VZW saying they will no longer credit any "rooted devices returned to Motorola" in short that means if VZW sends a damaged or bricked device back to Motorola and it's damaged or bricked due to rooting. Motorola will not pay for it. So VZW is left with no choice to roll a new program out. This way they won't lose money on a device someone ruined.

Also VZW wants 2.2 released for the Droid and droid X but apparently there is an issue between Moto and Adobe. So it's out of tier hands for now. Still waiting to hear if something changes on that today (I think it won't until at least Monday)

Also VZW now has the manual software in the store's for the Droid. Droid X and Droid 2 in their system. So if you have an issue software wise they can re-flash (SBF?) the device on site now. I am told this will include Froyo but don't hold me to that until I know its live in my retail store.

Finally pricing for the Droid 2 will be set at $249 on contract with a $100 mail in rebate for release. This is lower than I expected ($199) my guess is to try to get a nice push with the updated device. The original Droid accessories all work on the Droid 2 including the dock (tested it today). SO Droid 1 owners will be happy about not having to buy new stuff besides the device (of course). I am also told retail is $529 for the Droid 2. All of this was 7 hours ago so maybe tomorrow something will change again.......

@ Hook thanks for the help

Miami

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Why do you guys only quote the part where it says I promise? How about the part that clearly said I don't know when?;)

You know I get told things by certain people. These same certain people have been known to be able to stop on a dime and everything changes again. So I have no idea if what I heard 2 hours ago will be valid 2 hours from now.

Take yesterday for example. Nobody was more surprised by wuyanks story about the roll out being stopped completely. When I checked in with my people they simply said yes, it's true like "why are you even asking?" I didn't see that coming. Just as clueless as the rest of you.

If anything does change, keep your eye on the news section. That's where you'll find it.

Cool. Thanks. Now, about that Gingerbread. ....:icon_eek:

There is more on gingerbread to come......but not right now :icon_ devil:

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Will the Droid get 2.2 yes it will...will it be today no it won't. Will it get flash yes it will. When I'm not sure yet but let me tell you what I do know

First root is an issue for Motorola and VZW. So much so that VZW sais to me today they are rolling out a new "initiative for root awareness". With that a ZERO (o) tolerance policy about it. When I asked meaning what? He said " if you return a bricked device or damaged device that is rooted you will get charged back for a retail device! How are they gonna hold that up. I am not sure but he was very serious about. This rolls due to a memo from Motorola to VZW saying they will no longer credit any "rooted devices returned to Motorola" in short that means if VZW sends a damaged or bricked device back to Motorola and it's damaged or bricked due to rooting. Motorola will not pay for it. So VZW is left with no choice to roll a new program out. This way they won't lose money on a device someone ruined.

Also VZW wants 2.2 released for the Droid and droid X but apparently there is an issue between Moto and Adobe. So it's out of tier hands for now. Still waiting to hear if something changes on that today (I think it won't until at least Monday)

Also VZW now has the manual software in the store's for the Droid. Droid X and Droid 2 in their system. So if you have an issue software wise they can re-flash (SBF?) the device on site now. I am told this will include Froyo but don't hold me to that until I know its live in my retail store.

Finally pricing for the Droid 2 will be set at $249 on contract with a $100 mail in rebate for release. This is lower than I expected ($199) my guess is to try to get a nice push with the updated device. The original Droid accessories all work on the Droid 2 including the dock (tested it today). SO Droid 1 owners will be happy about not having to buy new stuff besides the device (of course). I am also told retail is $529 for the Droid 2. All of this was 7 hours ago so maybe tomorrow something will change again.......

Miami

Thanks Miami,

Now you guys know everything I know and are completely up to date.:)

S

SEGA

Miami

Thanks Miami,

Yep, sure do...

O look, 20min till another hour comes, see you there.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score

Reminds me of a line from the Pink Panther 2 movie...

"Let me bring you up to date. We know nothing. Now you are up to date."

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

:icon_censored:

I wish we had an icon of me banging my head against the wall. :D

Sal

Reaction score

Miami

Thanks, Miami and hook. That's a lot to digest. Wonder if folks will find this vital info update in this thread. Maybe it qualifies for a separate announcement? Wow...

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
Miami, question, any idea how the Droid Incredible links in with the Motorola release issues? Do they work on separate tracks because of the HTC manufacturer portion or does the Verizon umbrella still essentially tie them together? I guess best way to put it is could the Incredible and other HTC devices end up getting the OTA sooner than the Motorola devices?

S

SEGA

:icon_censored:

I wish we had an icon of me banging my head against the wall. :D

keyboardhead.gif

hmm... why? lol

rgb2448

Reaction score

Miami

How are they releasing 2.2 on the droid 2 next week if the problem is between Moto and Adobe. or is the droid 2 release dependent on this problem getting solved next week.

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
I suspect the Droid 2 release will be dependent on getting this straightened out. Haven't seen any solid release dates on it yet officially, I believe. If that is, in fact, the case then they can drag out the release time a little more to get these issues worked out.