Fixing the Metamorph Market

Discussion in 'Android Themes' started by czerdrill, Jul 6, 2010.

1. czerdrill

czerdrill Silver Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Themers, just have a question about the Market issues with Metamorph. I'm trying to theme the Market but it breaks after applying the metamorph theme (extremely slow, apps don't show as purchased/downloaded, have to re-accpet Terms and Conditions)...can someone give me a step by step, noob walkthrough on how to successfully theme it? I've read it's as simple as going into Manage Applications>Market>Uninstall Updates, but do I do that before applying the theme, after? OR is that the wrong way completely?

2. czerdrill

czerdrill Silver Member

Ratings:
    +12
    friendly bump...

3. carlz28

carlz28 Premium Member
    Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Doing a theme/MM to the Vending.apk shouldn't have an effect on the performance of the market itself. All you are doing is replacing an icon in Vending.apk
    Which version of Android are you trying to theme/MM/ 2.1? 2.2?

4. czerdrill

czerdrill Silver Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Yeah that's what I thought to, that it's just a picture change so how could it do anything. But it did. I changed only the launcher icon and themed some of the menu icons, and my market was "broken" in that apps didn't show as installed anymore (they were still in my app drawer though), and the market became ridiculously slow. I know it was the edit to Vending.apk because I restored a backup and didn't apply the Vending.apk portion of my MM theme and all was well.

I saw threads that said the same, that Metamorph breaks the market because of market updates or something. Just wasn't sure how to work around this...

5. carlz28

carlz28 Premium Member
    Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I theme my market with my personal icon on 2.2 and haven't had any issues. I do it both by using MM (though MetaMorph has had it's share of issues) and also by manually replacing the icon in the drawable-hdpi folder in Vending.apk, then push it back into /system/app...reboot...and the new icon is there (and make sure permissions are set to 644 of course).
    Have you tried it simply by editing the .apk on your computer? And then pushing it back to /system/app?
    I use 7Zip to make my icon edits. A simple delete of what I don't want, then drag and drop what I want back into the same folder. The use Root Explorer to paste it back.
    The rest is history...