1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

fixing a google talk authentication issue 4.7

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by Fraxinus, Aug 23, 2010.

1. Fraxinus

Fraxinus New Member

I hope this experience helps someone else. I pushed the SS 4.7 update (without wiping) only to have buggy behavior and poor performance - a clear candidate for a clean install. I ran bkapps, backed up my phone with Nandroid, and wiped. After reinstalling SS 4.7 and running rstapps the only issue I found was that google talk would not log in for anything. The repeat error I received was: "Google Talk authentication failed".

What finally worked for me was *not* using rstapps to restore my account information on a clean phone. I installed SS 4.7 fresh, then used the standard account setup wizard when the phone booted. Only then did I run rstapps to recover all my other data. This worked perfectly and I'm now running 4.7 smoother than any ROM I've ever used.

I'm not sure if there is any bug in restoring the applications or if this was unique to my situation, but I hope this helps out someone else.
  2. ChevyNo1

ChevyNo1 Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Thanks for the info Fraxinus - I knew the issue was with rstapps restoring gtalk account info - but couldn't isolate it. If other see this fixes the issue, I will add it to install notes. :)
  3. Fraxinus

Fraxinus New Member

Wow, thanks for the quick reply Chevy. Other than this issue 4.7 is running like a dream since I wiped. Some of my homescreen lag issues are gone and everything is much snappier - even at 800mhz when I was previously up to 1ghz.

Only other issue I've found was installing your OTA incremental update. I'm sure you're getting this feedback elsewhere too - when my phone booted into recovery mode nothing happened. I generally have an "update.zip" file on my SD card, so I'm wondering if that was the issue. Does your script handle the presence of an update.zip already there? You've thought of this I'm sure, but it could simply temporarily rename any existing update.zip, install, then rename...just a thought.

Thanks for a great product!!
  4. ChevyNo1

Thanks for the feedback - are you using SPRecovery? If so - that is a limitation of SPRecovery that I can't get around - I've been able to have it try to run the update, but because it didn't have 'allow update' selected (don't know how to 'automatically select that' ... the update fails
  5. Fraxinus

Fraxinus New Member

I am using SPRecovery, that's a good point, I didn't think of that. I suppose that's basically a safety feature so perhaps there is no way to allow update.zip installation without a manual trigger of "allow".
  6. TedWilliams

TedWilliams New Member

Born in Cambridge, MA but now live in Portland, OR
    I gotta say that I'm in the same boat that you are in regards to performance. I installed 4.7 without wiping initially, but found it to be a bit choppy at times. I wound up just reformating my SD card (saving a majority of my files to my PC) and did a data/cache wipe and installed 4.7 fresh. My phone has been running like an absolute beast. I'm using Chevy's 1.2 ghz ULV and I've been having unreal speed/battery life. Great stuff Chevy!
  7. Fraxinus

Fraxinus New Member

Did you find this made a difference beyond a cache wipe? I wouldn't think this would matter since the SD card is simply mounted as a storage volume - it's not integral to the OS but I've never tried this myself. This might be something I would consider as well if you think it made a performance difference for you...
  8. ChevyNo1

It can make a big difference, and this is how:

At every bootup, the media service starts in the background (you have not opened any apps at all). Part of what this media service does is scan EVERY FILE on your sdcard, looking for images to index and thumbnail. The more you have on the card, the slower bootup is, the more it eats battery, etc. Even if there are no images, but lots of files, it's still scanning through. Having the card cleaned up regularly can improve speed, no doubt.
  9. tameone

tameone New Member

I got this notification the first few times I booted up, but not since. Don't know why but it's gone. I did install the patch.
  10. Fault

Fault New Member

Just happened to me, ugh I dont really want to totally wipe again lol
Search tags for this page
fix google authentication failed
fix google talk authentication failed android
google authentication failed

google talk authentication failed

google talk authentication failed android

google talk authentication failed droid

google talk authentication failed droid x
google talk authentication failed fix