Fixing a droid: advice?

golittlerecordgo

Reaction score
Hi

My dog got ahold of my droid x. Fortunately, he did not damage anything essential. However, he put a minor dent in the glass (plastic?) piece covering the camera. The camera works fine, but of course every picture is deformed because it is now being filtered through a dent.

What is the best way to handle this? I get the feeling that if I take it to verizon they will tell me that it's beyond repair and I need to purchase a new phone, or they will way overcharge me. I see the part itself is only about 5$ when it shows up on ebay. At the same time, I'm not a tech expert and am not sure if it's possible to switch out this part myself and I'm not the type to attempt a repair if there is risk of further damage. Does anyone have advice? Having a camera with me at all times was one of the reasons I bought a droid in the first place.

Thanks.

demonhawk1313

Reaction score
In think the best thing for you to do is check out youtube. There is at least one video of a complete dismantle of the X. From there you can determine if you have the needed skills. I have taken apart many phones and they aren't as hard as they initially look. You just need to go slow and remember where everything goes. Only you can truly determine the risk and rewards of doing this.

OP
G

golittlerecordgo

Reaction score
I'm a pretty steady hand, my worry about that youtube video was that it doesn't show this particular part. Turns out I didn't Need to open the device to remove this part. Now I just need to stick the new one on. Thanks for the advice though!