FIX: Soft Bricked after reverting from Jelly Bean update

Discussion in 'Droid RAZR Hacks' started by CamoMike, Jan 9, 2013.

1. CamoMike

CamoMike New Member

These instructions will get you back to a WORKING
    ROOTED

Jelly Bean Razr/Maxx instead of a warm brick in your pocket

I am in no way trying to steal anyone's thunder but I wanted to update HOW to get back to a working JB if you get errors or try to roll back to ICS (which we all know you shouldn't do). I have read many threads and tried so many variables to now have a perfect solution. This spawned from d4vr0s --> http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...cked-after-reverting-jelly-bean-update-3.html

Tested on my personal Droid Razr XT912 US - Verizon (multiple, multiple times). I used the following to update it to Jelly Bean - [Leaked-Ota][Cdma][4.1.2] Jelly Bean 98.72.8 (12/27/12) - xda-developers. All hell broke loose when I tried to re-root (with methods that WERE WARNED) and blew up/bricked/softbricked my razr.

BEFORE DOING ANYTHING
    1. Have a copy of Blur_Version.6.16.211.XT912.Verizon.en.US on your external hard drive. Make sure it is a fresh/clean copy. Dev-Host - Blur_Version.6.16.211.XT912.Verizon.en.US.zip - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service
    2. Download MD5Checker here - MD5 Checker - CNET Download.com and make sure the hash = "c8772dc305d0de94d6e977fb51f3eac5"
    3. Download Matt's 1.82 utility here - http://batakang.com/ftp/DROID_RAZR/DroidRazrUtility1.82.zip
    FIX TIME - YOU CANNOT be plugged into a PC during this. Either be fully charged or charge through an AC wall outlet.
    1. With a lovely FUBARed razr/maxx boot into recovery mode
    2. Run "wipe data/factory reset"
    3. Run "wipe cache partition"
    4. Reboot phone and select "AP Fastboot"
    5. Run Matt's 1.82 utility on your phone, choose option 1. (Boot.img will fail but it is ok)
    6. Power off, wait 3 seconds and power on. You will boot into Android configuration. (5 minutes)
    7. Once the config is done you will see the red M boot logo and then a black screen. Force boot into recovery
    8. Run "wipe data/factory reset"
    9. Run "wipe cache partition"
    10. Select "apply update from external storage" and select "Blur_Version.6.16.211.XT912.Verizon.en.US.zip" (10 minutes)
    11. Run "wipe data/factory reset"
    12. Run "wipe cache partition"final time
    Thanks to kijutsu for making this process a bit faster...

ONTO ROOT

Follow this post - http://www.droidrzr.com/index.php/topic/6924-root-achieved-for-jb-ota-razrmaxx-xt912-razr-blade/ and donate to Dan Rosenberg here - http://goo.gl/zBGb0.

UPON COMPLETION/TESTING ROOT WORKS

I highly recommend installing Safestrap 3.11 - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1391875. Run a full backup and you can sit back and enjoy a working Jelly Bean phone (finally)...

There you go, 18 hours testing to about 10 minutes of typing. If this helps one person that's all that matters. If anyone has issues regarding these steps AFTER TRYING THESE EXACT STEPS, please let me know, and I will do my best to assist you.

Please like this if you have used it successfully. I don't need money, but support goes a long way...

Camo
    7 people like this.
  2. FoxKat

FoxKat DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

OK, so this appears to be quite possibly a valuable solution for the soft-bricked JB phones out there. I certainly don't see such effort as stealing anyone's thunder. If it's helpful and was derived from your own efforts, or if you've compiled others' works and given proper credit to those others, then it's fine and deserves its own post.

Good job. Now we have to get others whose phones are soft-bricked to try these methods and give us positive feedback. Let's watch this and see where it goes!

Sent from my A210 using Tapatalk HD
    1 person likes this.
  3. CamoMike

CamoMike New Member

Just trying to help and share the love in the community...
    2 people like this.
  4. The Stig 04

The Stig 04 Member

I don't have a any sort of bricked RAZR. I have the jb update running fine on my phone but I never protected root. Do you think this would work for a phone that isn't bricked? I would do anything to have my root back lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Edit: Sorry I read the top of this post wrong. Nevermind :)
  5. FoxKat

It's possible, but I am not brave enough to try it on my RAZR MAXX. I WOULD consider trying it on a cheap one from eBay, but I'd have to buy one first.

6. The Stig 04

The Stig 04 Member

I have an s3 that doesn't work on Verizon cause it was flashed for cricket. Saturday I'm supposed to trade it for a rezound if that goes through I just might try and see what happens.

Although I thought this post was to go back to ICS that's. Got a little excited and didn't read it all lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
  7. CamoMike

CamoMike New Member

I tried to get my head around how complicated Android can be. I have been in IT for 15 years and this is new to me so I am learning during all this chaos.

I will keep updating the OP as necessary, but for now, its complete.
  8. CamoMike

CamoMike New Member

I sent you a message on google talk. Hit me up as I have a Razr MAXX also.
  9. djnolo

djnolo New Member

After following these steps is it possible to use Utility 1.82 to restore Root to .211 ICS 4.0.4 and also establish a normal working boot?
  10. andrexx

andrexx New Member

A BIG "THANK YOU" TO YOU, CAMOMIKE!!!

I was soft-bricked after (stupidly/accidentally) restoring old system data with TiBU after the JB upgrade. Your post allowed me to regain control, get the phone to boot, and now I'm back up and running. I could not have done it without your post.

THANK YOU.

Andy
    3 people like this.
  11. andrexx

andrexx New Member

After studying this matter in depth for my case, the answer to your question is a big, fat, "NO." CamoMike's "fix" retains/repairs the JB system. Attempting to revert back to .211 after performing the JB update is what (usually) causes a brick in the first place.

Andy
    3 people like this.
  12. CamoMike

CamoMike New Member

I am glad I was able to help someone. This makes me very happy.
    1 person likes this.
  13. Hat1324

Hat1324 New Member

Lol Camo, I stalked you all the way from d4v's thread and I ****** LOVE YOU. I think you're the only person on the internet to have managed to unbrick my phone haha.

I created this account just to kiss your shoes man.
    1 person likes this.
  14. CamoMike

CamoMike New Member

Thanks brah, but, I do things in life to help people. I appreciate the love and am glad I could have helped. Trust me, my shoes aren't meant to be kissed...

I also didn't do it myself. I did a lot of reading and used my 20 years of IT experience into forming a solution to my problem and shared it with the world. Everyone, from the developers, moderators, site admins should get the thanks as well. A little bit goes a long way.

I like the DF community and how it helps, not hinders people. We all do it out of the love of technology and to make it work better for us, not control us.

Camo:blink:
    2 people like this.
  15. andrexx

andrexx New Member

Thought I'd issue an update:

After playing around a bit, I discovered that my sounds were still missing, and all phone activity was only through the speaker. (Even when on Bluetooth, the speakerphone was active in tandem?). I installed RAGE ROM by spc_hicks via Safestrap, and all functions are back to (better than) normal.

Andy
  16. kijutsu

kijutsu New Member

[SUB]This worked absolutely FLAWLESSLY. Thanks so much.

Side tip -- if you clear data/cache immediately following the JB update install, you won't have issues with the first full boot of Jelly Bean.

Again.. thanks![/SUB]
  17. CamoMike

CamoMike New Member

Thought it could work but never fully tested. I edited the OP.

Camo
  18. FoxKat

Man, that post ^^ belongs on a plaque or something! I almost cried! KUDOS to Camo!! :D:thumbup:

1 person likes this.
  19. pknowls

pknowls New Member

A couple questions

Sorry about the specifics... if they seem dumb... but I followed this through a couple times and was unsuccessful still. I am in the same situation that you seem to have been in.

1. At what point do you plug in you phone to the computer to run Matt's Utility 1.82? There is no way to run it on the actual phone right?

2. Whenever I reboot at any point i jump straight into the AP Fastboot menu. Is there away of avoiding this?

3. How far do you get into running the Utility? It wont even start for me.. This is what I get:

utility.PNG

4. Again Step 6, when I power off... when i power back on it goes straight to AP Fastboot. Thoughts?

If anything sticks out to you guys that I am blatantly doing wrong please let me know!
    Thanks!
  20. Edub594

Edub594 New Member

OH MY GOD SIR YOU ARE MY BEST FRIEND EVER!
    Finally fixed my phone, so happy right now it's ridiculous :icon_ lala:
    I would just like to say, you're awesome :hail:
Search tags for this page
apply update from external storage

boot mode selection menu 0a.77

droid razr bricked fix

error in /tmp/sideload/package.zip (status 7) installation a
fix droid maxx flash
how do unbrick my motorola razr m
how to unbrick droid bionic from external storage
my moto xt912 not show extarnal usb darve how to fix it

razr maxx soft brick