FIX: Reduce REDRAW with launcherpro/ADW *Credit to samsonite801

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by Smeech, Sep 25, 2010.

1. dopeismarcus

dopeismarcus Member

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for this

2. SwordOfWar

SwordOfWar Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You don't need this command if you have an option to lock the app in memory. In CyanogenMod 6.1, you can go into CyanogenMod settings, go into the advanced/performance settings and enable the "keep home app in memory".

This works perfect with the included ADWLauncher in CyanogenMod. The problem with using other launcher's is that most people install alternative launchers besides what was included in the ROM, but people forget to remove or replace the default launcher.apk in /system. This causes the pre-installed launcher and the alternative launcher to be running at the same time. This causes a huge increase in RAM/Memory usage. When the RAM get's full, Android will begin closing apps. When a home app is closed, it must be reloaded again when you go to it, and this is when it takes a long time to show up.

So to make this short, the problem is you need to make sure the launcher you use is the ONLY launcher installed/running on the phone (so it uses less memory). Then, you need to lock your launcher in memory so it is less likely to get killed by android. Some ROMS support locking home apps in memory, and some launchers have their own option to lock itself in memory.

I use the included ADWLauncher in CyanogenMod, then i go into CyanogenMod settings and select the option to lock home app in memory. This causes the slow home app redraw issue to happen considerably less often.

This is not really a launcher problem. It just happens because Android needs to close background apps if your phone's memory gets too low, and sometimes it closes the home app, which causes that lag (it has to load it up again).

Maybe in the future phones will come with more RAM so this is less of an issue in general.

3. Cdjones187

Cdjones187 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe for a few people. But redraw is still and issue even is you only have 1 launcher.

4. tareq

tareq Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Wooooo more than one luancher make re draws! wired coz I have 5 launches installed and it running smoothly even tho I am OC to 600mhz! Just do the command people and see of you get any better, it works for me and my phone is flying now and I can easily get 15 hours battery life..

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

5. tareq

tareq Member

Ratings:
    +0
    oh and don't use "lock in memory" out drains your battery.. I tested it

6. deputc26

deputc26 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Just tried this on 6.1, seems to be working... will repprt back

7. deputc26

deputc26 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Confirmed. this works with the latest BB.

8. jcwilliams

jcwilliams Senior Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I did this and it helped a lot but I'm still getting redraws like crazy. And on reboots I get force close and if I don't get that my icons are all green and I have to restart lp for them to actually show up. After I restart to fix icons on home pages then I get force close again....any suggestions?

9. jdk2

jdk2 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Current Phone Model:
    XT1103
    Have you removed all of the icons/widgets that were present in the other launcher before changing to the launcher you're using now? And uninstalled the other launchers afterwards?

10. stead2120

stead2120 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've had zero redraws since Bugless Beast 0.6, using Launcher Pro.

11. jcwilliams

jcwilliams Senior Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Yea I deleted everything on other launcher plus I deleted the apk for home launcher bc I like lp but its been lagging real bad and redraws bad too. Maybe I should find the home.apk and delete lp and see if it goes away then reinstall? If there is even a way to get that apk back. If not I can do a restore to when I first installed bb6.1

12. jcwilliams

jcwilliams Senior Member

Ratings:
    +3
    just an update i went into manage apps and found lp and cleared data and forced closed. i basically wiped it and started from scratch. it is soooo much better now. i have only had one fc since. im running 3 screens right now with nothing on there so that i can see the difference. ima add one thing at a time to see what it was that was causing this issue....

Search tags for this page

adw redraw fix

android redraw fix
edit ro.home app
fix adw redraw on ics
home launcher with less ram usage
launcher redraw fix

launcherpro redraw fix

reduce launcher redraw
reduce launcher redraw android
what is ro.home app