Fix for looping low-battery popup

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by kmagameguy, Apr 14, 2012.

1. kmagameguy

kmagameguy New Member

Hey everyone,
    As I'm sure with a lot of you, one of the biggest annoyances I've had with the SS5.6 release has been the broken "low-battery" popup that just will not dismiss itself after it reaches the low battery threshold. Even keeping it as low as 5%, I found it to still be a major issue, as it essential makes the phone unusable until it's been charged. I don't know how many of you are like myself and still rocking the OG Droid as their primary phone (or even still using it at all), but I thought it'd be a good idea to kick this fix forward for anyone else that might be encountering this annoyance. For this mod, I decompiled the services.jar file found within /system/framework/ and nixed the following line of code:

Code:
    [COLOR=#000088]const-[/COLOR][COLOR=#000088]string[/COLOR][COLOR=#000000] v3[/COLOR][COLOR=#666600],[/COLOR][COLOR=#008800]"android.intent.action.BATTERY_LOW"[/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]

invoke[/COLOR][COLOR=#666600]-[/COLOR][COLOR=#000088]virtual[/COLOR][COLOR=#666600]{[/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]v2[/COLOR][COLOR=#666600],[/COLOR][COLOR=#000000] v3[/COLOR][COLOR=#666600]},[/COLOR][COLOR=#660066]Landroid[/COLOR][COLOR=#666600]/[/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]content[/COLOR][COLOR=#666600]/[/COLOR][COLOR=#660066]IntentFilter[/COLOR][COLOR=#666600];->[/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]addAction[/COLOR][COLOR=#666600]([/COLOR][COLOR=#660066]Ljava[/COLOR][COLOR=#666600]/[/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]lang[/COLOR][COLOR=#666600]/[/COLOR][COLOR=#660066]String[/COLOR][COLOR=#666600];)[/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]V[/COLOR]

While this prevents the popup from launching at all, it will still allow the LED to blink to inform you that the battery is low. For anyone that wants to use this, here's the link to the corrected services.jar file:
    http://www.filedropper.com/batterypopupfix

Instructions to install:
    Unzip the package (Note, this is NOT A FLASHABLE ZIP FILE)
    Move the unzipped services.jar to /system/framework/
    Overwrite the original services.jar
    Change the file permissions to 644 (rw-r--r--) (NOTE: I am not certain that this step is completely necessary, but it doesn't hurt to make sure it's set to the same permissions as the original file)
    Reboot Phone

EDIT:
    Flashable zip file, courtesy of Teddyearp: http://ted.servepics.com/nap/droid/BatteryPopupFixFlashable_update.zip

CAVEAT 1:
    This jar file is ONLY confirmed to work on Chevy's SS5.6, it may work on a previous gingerbread build, but definitely will NOT work on a pre-gingerbread build (eg Froyo).

CAVEAT 2:
    In the event that this breaks your phone somehow, I have uploaded a copy of Chevy's ORIGINAL, BROKEN services.jar (the one with the indefinite popups). Instructions to reinstall the original file work the same way as the modded version.
    http://www.filedropper.com/services_1

Hopefully someone finds this useful.
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  2. jakegsxr11

jakegsxr11 New Member

Awesome, thanks. I can't wait to try it. Hopefully in a few days....working 14 hour days for the last week has me to tired to even read the instructions right now.
  3. teddyearp

teddyearp Active Member

Nice, I have created an update.zip file to automate the process for the masses (like there's any left on the D1) and will put it in my collection and make public after I test full functionality today.
  4. teddyearp

teddyearp Active Member

OK, just for kicks. I did test this fix and posted my 'update.zip' style file in the bugfix thread. It does fix the 'nag'. However, it does change the reporting for my phone while I am in a '1x' area. Before, when phone switches from WiFi to 1x, it shows "1x" with the corresponding up and down arrows, but after applying this it shows "G", but then it quickly goes away, though data is still being sent and received; no up and down arrows. And I am not sure, but it seemed as though applying this file turns off mobile data in menu -> settings -> wireless & networks -> mobile networks -> data enabled unchecked. Not sure if it was this 'fix' however, just saying.
  5. kmagameguy

kmagameguy New Member

Is it breaking after a manual push or through the update.zip? That sounds more like a bad/partial flash than an issue with the file itself. Couple things to try: Double check that the file on your phone has the permissions set to 644. If it's still causing issues, try reloading the original services.jar and see if that fixes the issue. If that fixes it, then I'm stumped. Like I said I've tested this on a couple of phones and can't seem to reproduce your issue. Try the manual method first as a brute force check, if it persists, try sending a logcat?

PS:
    Is it alright if I add the link to your flashable file to the OP? It'll probably exist longer than the filedropper link, not to mention it's less of a hassle to use.
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  6. teddyearp

teddyearp Active Member

kmagameguy, not to worry, if anyone can sound like a jerk here, I can. Sometimes I am the king of jerks here.

I did it both through manual push (well not via adb, but using SUFBS and such) and my update.zip file, but after further review, my tiny 'bug' might have been related to applying it to the unthemed version of SS5.6 with the honeycream theme. After restoring my nandroid of the themed version of SS5.6 and applying it via the update.zip style file, all the 'data' reporting in my notification bar was normal. I didn't dig much deeper into why 'data' was turned off in menu -> settings -> wireless, etc, maybe chaulk that one up to user error.

And of course you are more than welcome to link the file in your OP.

Thanks!
  7. kmagameguy

kmagameguy New Member

Huh, glad that's sorted for you then, strange how easily things can break. OP updated with the update.zip, really useful stuff!
  8. omgsy

omgsy New Member

anyone have this link? I really need the fix for it please. I am still using DROID 1 and I went back to this ROM. Please
  9. teddyearp

teddyearp Active Member

Yes. My server's hard drive died several months ago so it is offline for now. I have yet to find a place in the 'cloud' that will allow me to share a whole directory like I did before though.

Anyways, here's the file:

BatteryPopupFixFlashable_update.zip

But as usual, always make sure to make a nandroid backup before flashing this or any other file.

good luck
  10. omgsy

omgsy New Member

o my. thank you so much for replying. I thought this forum was dead for DROID 1.
    I know you are not the publisher of the ChevyNo1 but do you happen to have an updated version of SS 5.6?

I sometimes see a battery sign on the status bar saying its 13% in the middle of the screen, and it disappears like 10 seconds later. Lol
    Also, i use a launcher pro and when I unlock my screen, the screen is sometimes black and I have to press the home button or swipe it to make the screen show.

Just two problems that I saw
  11. teddyearp

teddyearp Active Member

As far as an 'updated' version of ss5.6, no. I just have the original themed and unthemed versions. I'm uploading them now, but won't be done before I have to leave fo4r work.

As far as the other bug with the battery, try this thread:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/chevyno1/177731-ss-5-6-bug-thread.html

It's been over a year since I've really used my Droid 1, but it still has the themed version on it. Also, I can't remember which launcher I used, but it's not launcher pro. There was a redraw fix out and about for which I also made a flashable .zip file. I'll see if I can upload it too. Just reply to this thread so I will get a reminder to post them.
  12. teddyearp

teddyearp Active Member

I remember now, it was ADW.launcher. I _think_ SS5.6 came with it as well, but if not I installed the version that was in CM 7 that had scroll through.

Anyways, here's the the two versions of SS5.6 I have and the 'lag fix' file:

SSD1-GB-5.6-update.zip

SSD1-GB-5.6-update-unthemed.zip

ReDrawFixGB_update.zip

I tried the unthemed version, but had better stability with the themed version, as well as the fixes just worked with it.

good luck
Search tags for this page

android battery warning keeps popping up

android low battery notification

battery low notice for s3 keeps popping up
battery popup in android issue

galaxy nexus low battery notification wont stop

galaxy nexus low battery warning

gs3 why does the battery low sign keep popping up
how to stop your low battery sign from popping up on galaxy
low battery keeps popping up
low battery samsung galaxy s3 message always pops up