fix facebook privacy easily with this link

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
This is definitely WAY off topic, but thought it was worth sharing. I don't like Facebook, but still have a profile, mainly so I can stay on top of what they're doing with my wife's (and therefore my) info!

Check out the instructions in the second section, titled "Get Protected", on this page:

ReclaimPrivacy.org | Facebook Privacy Scanner

Most of us on this forum are pretty tech savvy and are on top of this stuff, but probably 80% of Facebook users are not, and don't care to take more than 10 seconds to think about this stuff. This link is more for those people - your family members who, due to their settings, cause the entire world to have access to pictures of you and your family, or your contact info, or whatever.

My personal opinion is that Facebook is taking advantage of its massive user-base by exploiting user data for ad money. A conspiracy? No. They're just making business (i.e. profit motivated) decisions and trying to C.Y.A. by stating "you can change your settings, it's easy, you still have control"... bla bla bla. I can't find it now, but I wish I could find a chart I saw the other day. It was basically a circular graph that showed Facebook's default privacy settings in 2005, and you could click on each year to see how those default settings expanded to where they are now. Mark Z. knows most of his users don't care about privacy and don't care to take the time to learn the now complicated web of privacy settings in FB.

Let alone the fact that Facebook is by no means an open-source advocate...

shamus

Reaction score
I don't see what the big deal is. If I post a picture on Facebook that picture is public as far as I'm concerned. Anyone can save those pictures and share them, upload them, print them (stalkers lol), etc. I don't post my phone number or address because again, it's public.

etx_droid

Reaction score
I don't see what the big deal is. If I post a picture on Facebook that picture is public as far as I'm concerned. Anyone can save those pictures and share them, upload them, print them (stalkers lol), etc. I don't post my phone number or address because again, it's public.

While you "get" it, 75 percent of the public doesn't. This is the first tool that will help those folks keep their account under locks. I asked my Mother the other day if she has changed her Privacy Settings and she didn't have a clue to what I was talking about so something like this, that will actually fix her security issues is great in my opinion. Good find!

OP
jntdroid

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score

While you "get" it, 75 percent of the public doesn't. This is the first tool that will help those folks keep their account under locks. I asked my Mother the other day if she has changed her Privacy Settings and she didn't have a clue to what I was talking about so something like this, that will actually fix her security issues is great in my opinion. Good find!

Exactly! And, etx, you're in Hallsville? I grew up in Whitehouse, went to college in Longview and Marshall, even played soccer with a couple of guys from Hallsville in college... small world.

etx_droid

Reaction score
Exactly! And, etx, you're in Hallsville? I grew up in Whitehouse, went to college in Longview and Marshall, even played soccer with a couple of guys from Hallsville in college... small world.

Yep, my wife and I live in Hallsville now. I was born in Longview and raised in Marshall. I'm a Systems Administrator at Kilgore College now. Where'd you go to college?

OP
jntdroid

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score

Yep, my wife and I live in Hallsville now. I was born in Longview and raised in Marshall. I'm a Systems Administrator at Kilgore College now. Where'd you go to college?

LeTourneau, then switched my major to business and some buddies talked me into transferring to ETBU for soccer reasons... liked the change, but wish I had stuck with the CSE degree. My brother's wife and family grew up in Kilgore, and I played with a lot of guys from there as well. Good ol' east Texas...