FIX - Audio streaming (quality issues)

OP
J

JoelWRX

Reaction score
You don't use text editor to copy to SD CARD here are the steps you may take.

Open up terminal emulator or adb shell whichever you perfer

$su
#cd /system/
#cp /system/build.prop /sdcard/build.prop

Then plug your phone into your computer or use ASTRO file manager and open the build.prop (on your computer use notepad on ASTRO use text editor) -- save your changes.

$su
#dd if=/sdcard/build.prop of=/system/build.prop
#sync
#reboot

Like someone mentioned earlier, its way easier to use root explorer to do it.

YankInDaSouth

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
$su
#sync
#reboot

I did this and after entering "#dd if=/sdcard/build.prop of=/system/build.prop" got some message about a read only file. I tried it without the "dd", rebooted and I don't know if it's my imagination but Pandora sounds much better! With my headphones on I can crank it up and it doesn't sound like crap!! I don't know - I could be crazy.

Thanks so much for posting a terminal emulator procedure! It amazes me how you guys figure this stuff out!

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
FYI, for the more noob out there (like myself), Root Explorer does this just like a normal file system, and even automatically makes a backup copy when you save and exit the file. You simply navigate to /system, hit the "r/w" button at the top right (to change it from read only to read/write), open build.prop, change said text, save and exit, and reboot.

cvpcs

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Hey all, i just wanted to drop in and talk about this "fix" for a second.

For those who don't know, StageFright is the new media library for Froyo. Before StageFright was around, everything was done using a library called OpenCore Media Framework. I'm assuming that the media.stagefright.blah-enabe=true is the method of telling froyo to use StageFright instead of OpenCore.

So what's the big deal? Well, I need to do some testing but for instance FLAC music support was added to StageFright in Froyo, not OpenCore (where as it was the opposite in eclair), so if you use OpenCore to play your music, it might not be able to play FLAC files as it stands right now.

This is the kind of thing issue that may arise with the whole switching off stagefright thing. However, I am going to quickly look into it and see if I can figure out definitively if this is the case or not. If it is I will consider adding FLAC support to OpenCore as well and then it won't matter, possibly with adding something to GEM Settings to switch back and forth in case of other future implications.

Hope that sheds some light on why this works and what it may mean in the long-run, as Android moves more towards StageFright for its media needs.

OP
J

JoelWRX

Reaction score
$su
#sync
#reboot

I did this and after entering "#dd if=/sdcard/build.prop of=/system/build.prop" got some message about a read only file. I tried it without the "dd", rebooted and I don't know if it's my imagination but Pandora sounds much better! With my headphones on I can crank it up and it doesn't sound like crap!! I don't know - I could be crazy.

Thanks so much for posting a terminal emulator procedure! It amazes me how you guys figure this stuff out!

$su
#sync
#reboot

Sorry I am rusty on code I use ROM Manager and Root Explorer for everything.

$su
#mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
#sync
#reboot

but if you got it to work, thats good to!

Hey all, i just wanted to drop in and talk about this "fix" for a second.

For those who don't know, StageFright is the new media library for Froyo. Before StageFright was around, everything was done using a library called OpenCore Media Framework. I'm assuming that the media.stagefright.blah-enabe=true is the method of telling froyo to use StageFright instead of OpenCore.

So what's the big deal? Well, I need to do some testing but for instance FLAC music support was added to StageFright in Froyo, not OpenCore (where as it was the opposite in eclair), so if you use OpenCore to play your music, it might not be able to play FLAC files as it stands right now.

This is the kind of thing issue that may arise with the whole switching off stagefright thing. However, I am going to quickly look into it and see if I can figure out definitively if this is the case or not. If it is I will consider adding FLAC support to OpenCore as well and then it won't matter, possibly with adding something to GEM Settings to switch back and forth in case of other future implications.

Hope that sheds some light on why this works and what it may mean in the long-run, as Android moves more towards StageFright for its media needs.

Thanks for the update there cvpcs! I was sorta leaning towards the same thing, except I didn't realize that included FLAC support. Cool insight man!

Phreaker47

Reaction score
So of course, the "real fix" will be when Google actually fixes stagefright, so we can leave it enabled!

For now, I have my SiriusXM back, so my build.prop be sayin' FALSE!!

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
The real fix will be when the devs fix their apps won't it? Didn't know it was a google problem, I thought the devs of these apps were just ignoring it until they couldn't any more...i.e. once 2.2 is officially out.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

cvpcs

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
so i did some research and from what i can tell there should be no repricussions of switching off stagefright.

first of all, i want people to know that it is a fault of android and not pandora or otherwise. app developers link into the core media framework provided by the operating system, and they don't implement these interfaces themselves.

secondly, after doing the research, i can verify that FLAC support is implemented outside of stagefright already (in a sense). actually both Vorbis and FLAC are played via opencore as opposed to stagefright regardless of this setting.

so. long story short, if media.stagefright.enable-player=true, stagefright will be your default media player, if media.stagefright.enable-player=false, opencore will be your default media player, and either one is fine. so if you're experiencing better playback quality with one or another, feel free to use it :)

DreamOperator

Reaction score
Thanks for the information, it's very helpful!

I really hope Google gets their together in the streaming/media playback area. I know Android is young, but this needs to be solid to compete with you know who. Gapless playback is also critical, in my opinion.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
maybe it has something to do with the upcoming google music...hmmm? :popcorn:

YankInDaSouth

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
Sorry I am rusty on code I use ROM Manager and Root Explorer for everything.

... but if you got it to work, thats good to!

No need to apologize! I appreciate you even taking the time to help me out!
Just one more quick question: I am leaning towards purchasing Root Explorer and was wondering what else can be done with it? Don't get me wrong, I don't mind purchasing apps & supporting devs - but I want to be sure this app is something for a n00b such as myself. Don't want to get it and start screwing things up :laugh:

OP
J

JoelWRX

Reaction score
Root explorer is an amazing tool to have you can move files around... for example:

You have a bootanimation on your SDcard and want to use it you can copy the boot animation file go to the system/media mount it as read/write paste it in there mount as read/only and when you reboot its there no need for adb or terminal emulator codes.

Not to mention you can edit that build.prop file right from root explorer without ever hookin up to a computer

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I would consider Root Explorer an "essential" to anyone rooted... imho :)

dmartins

Reaction score
I created and update.zip that will appy the setting for you.
It's for Froyo 2.2 FRG22 though.
I have one for disabling and one to re-enable it.

Attachments

• FRG22_Disable_stagefright-update.zip
    152.9 KB · Views: 195
  • FRG22_Re-enable_stagefright-update.zip
    152.9 KB · Views: 172