Fitness Friday: Video Discussion

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Last week we discussed FED UP, a movie documentary that talked about sugar being the cause of obesity in America. Above does the same but take it a step forward. I challenge you to take a look at the above video and post your opinions/views below. Interested in hearing your takes about the video.

Spotlight Fitness app of the week: Macros, if you are a carb restricted diet this app helps you keep track of the amount of carbs you have consumed.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
I do low/no carb eating, and have done so for more years than I want to say, and I have to say that people are eating WAY too much sugar. You don't know how much we eat per day until you actually take the time to count your carb or sugar intake. It's the biggest indicator of crap food. The part about the addition of sugar to attain "peak taste" really illustrates how we're being pumped full of sugar. Even in foods that don't taste sweet you'll find LOADS of sugars combined with other flavors to artificially manipulate the taste we perceive.

I pretty much eat whatever from Thanksgiving to New Year, but in between I only allow 20g-30g MAX daily carb intake with a SugarFreakWeekend™ every 3-5 weeks. I don't even pay attention to my fat intake. My cholesterol levels stay in the 140 range (87 LDL) never breaking 150 and my blood sugars and other levels are all right where they should be.

Sugar and carbs are HARD to give up though. SugarFreakWeekend is coming up next week, and believe me, I have my list ready!

Last edited:

whippleman

Reaction score
That seems really goofy to limit your carbs that low, but if it works for you to each your own I suppose. Someone was even trying to tell me rice was terrible for you because your body turns it into sugar. :rolleyes:

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
That seems really goofy to limit your carbs that low, but if it works for you to each your own I suppose. Someone was even trying to tell me rice was terrible for you because your body turns it into sugar. :rolleyes:

Rice is loaded with carbs... Carbs and sugar create a complex interplay regarding insulin production in the body. Your body responds to carbs almost the same way to as it does to sugar. When you consume high amounts of either or both you aren't doing your body any favors.

You don't have to believe it. But, here. Read this...
Carbohydrates and Blood Sugar The Nutrition Source Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health

And another thing. As far as food pyramids and daily allowances, as mentioned in the vid, sugar doesn't seem to have a "daily recommended amount". Have you noticed that stuff is created by the U.S. Department of Agriculture and NOT the National Institute of Health or the FDA? Why is it that the Department that concerns food producers is recommending consumption amounts? *COUGH*lobbyists*COUGH*