Fitness Friday: Superbowl XLIX Edition

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Snackadium.jpg

Sunday millions of Americans will be gathered around TVs at bars, club, and homes enjoying one of the largest spectator events of the world. People who may not be from this country or understand our culture may find it odd that we celebrate a holiday where we are not celebrating being thankful, a religious person's birthday, or the independence of our nation. We do celebrate all those holidays but Superbowl Sunday has elevated to a level where it is treated like a holiday. Unfortunately you can consider Superbowl Sunday a holiday where we celebrate junk food as well. The average american will consume up to 2400 calories during the Superbowl and we are talking about calories full of processed sugars and chemicals the average american never heard of while watching commercials about the junk they are eating.

So a month after setting a resolution to lose weight and get in better shape we will sit down and consume an entire days worth of calories in the form of junk. If a person going into rehab was to say that a month from now they plan on going on this outrageous bender we would look at them like they lost their minds. Finally the body have begun to rid itself of the dependencies and is beginning to function properly, and then one decides they are just going to overload it with those same toxins that is was dependent on. It is no wonder we struggle as Americans to stay on track. Are we saying stay away from the junk, well I bet @cereal killer (who is a fitness guru who truly lives the lifestyle) would. But the reality is we know that is just not going to happen so we are going to try and help you avoid train wrecking your 2015 fitness goals 2 months in.
  1. Drink lots of water starting now. Staying hydrated with water helps your entire body perform to its peak as well as keeping things circulating to flush out the junk.
  2. Fat free, gluten free, all natural, baked, and "less" does not mean you can eat more. Majority of those labels are designed to fool american into believing it is healthier so it is ok to eat more. The reality is that most are actually worse than their counterpart because they are loaded with more sugar to help with the taste. The goal is to stay away from junk food period but if you choose to partake consume less and keep track of how much you are eating. With all the hoopla going it will be real easy to lose track of how many chips you have eaten and carbonated drinks consumed and before you know it you consumed 2400 calories in a 4 hour period.
  3. Some fruit but more vegetables: Fruits are good but vegetables are even better as fruit also contain sugar. Though the fiber in the fruit offset the sugar rush, if you are trying to lose weight that giant bowl of fruit can slow down your progress. But the giant bowl of fruit would still be miles better than the bags of chips and cookies.
  4. Do not skip any meals: The first thing dieters think of when knowing they are about to go to a setting where there will be lots of food is to not eat anything until that point. That does more to hurt than to help. Starving yourself causes your metabolism to slows down, and a slow metabolism with a giant sugar rush puts your pancreas in overdrive trying to compensate and as a result it produces more fat versus a metabolism that is at its peak.

You have been doing good up until this point do not allow a 4 hour event to send you spiraling out of control. Be wise and remember how hard you had to work to get to the point that you are at and last you want is to go backwards.

Featured App: We are adding a new wrinkle to our fitness threads. Fitness is now a part of our lives and so is android, well it has been long overdue for us to highlight apps that can help you along with this process. I am going to start it off with an app by bodybuilder.com. Body Space is an app that helps you keep track of your fitness goals, motivate others, as well as order supplements to help you with your progress. The app is free in the Play store so give it a try and tell us what you think.

Last edited by a moderator:

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The rest of the world understands because they do the same thing for the World Cup.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Ha!! Great article pc747. Yes I am going to stay away from all the junk. For me feeling like complete and utter crap the next day, all day, is just not worth it to me. I like feeling good too much :)

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I'm not a football fan.. So i won't be partaking.. In fact Sunday my lifting partner and I are going to do a session of only stretching and massages...

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'm not a football fan.. So i won't be partaking.. In fact Sunday my lifting partner and I are going to do a session of only stretching and massages...
I'm the opposite, I love football.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I bought my fresh fruits and vegetables today.. So.. With that.. A turkey breast and mustard tray.. If i get the urge..

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Great thread PC!
Haven't been to a Superbowl party in a couple years, so the "eating thing" isn't an issue for me. And since I don't keep snacks in the house, no temptations. I'll probably have a couple beers that I have leftover from a dinner party a couple weeks ago. Not a big beer drinker which is why they are still in the fridge. I prefer liquor, less filling & less calories.
Enjoy the game guys!
I'm going with Patriots by 6.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Sundays menu
Pulled pork for sliders
Chili
2 3ft hero's
Penne in vodka sauce
Fresh baked bread
Chicken Wings
Ribs
Home made stuff rolls.. Spinach.. Artichoke.. Etc
Fresh salad with plum tomatoes and walnuts.. And few other things
Home made pigs in blanket

I few other things I've missed and I don't have the dessert menu yet... Haha

Fruit salad will be included..

Tap'd by Big 6

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Sundays menu
Pulled pork for sliders
Chili
2 3ft hero's
Penne in vodka sauce
Fresh baked bread
Chicken Wings
Ribs
Home made stuff rolls.. Spinach.. Artichoke.. Etc
Fresh salad with plum tomatoes and walnuts.. And few other things
Home made pigs in blanket

I few other things I've missed and I don't have the dessert menu yet... Haha

Fruit salad will be included..

Tap'd by Big 6

You're not helping lol, I see you plan on making sure people get their 2400 calorie on. I know, I know, they don't have to eat it they can just eat the salad and the fruit.
:p.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
You're not helping lol, I see you plan on making sure people get their 2400 calorie on. I know, I know, they don't have to eat it they can just eat the salad and the fruit.
We having some serious eaters coming over.. There will be no calorie counting this Sunday... Hehe

Tap'd by Big 6

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
We having some serious eaters coming over.. There will be no calorie counting this Sunday... Hehe

Tap'd by Big 6
Go big or go home.

Or will that be go big and go home bigger.

I guess it is safe to say you will be running the treadmill Monday. People next to you going to be like "you training for a marathon" you gonna be like "nope just burning off what I had last night.
Dude will be like "we are too" pointing down the row of treadmills. And seeing the one big guy on the end crying about why he had to have that last burger, as if that was the difference maker.
Super Sunday here comes Miserable Monday Morning.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Unfortunately treadmill days are not often with this bad knee... Hopefully surgery around March or April get back to running..

Working out later this morning though..

453858df75139da8fd53d63ea718505e.jpg

Tap'd by Big 6