94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
59cbfa154e330b6509261ee04d379a56.jpg

This week's fitness Friday is going to be about the hotly debated issue of over training..

First.. What is over training? Over training is, in short.. When you push your body past the point of exercise doing good or helping... To the point where you're actually doing more harm than good. Now the point at which you would be at risk for over training is debatable and varies based on many different things such as...

*your fitness level

*how hard you actually work(I'm looking at the people who are texting while occupying gym equipment, here..)

*your body type. The three basic male body types have different pros and cons to them.. The ability to gain mass easily and recover quickly are traits of endomorphs and mesomorphs .

*your nutrition plays a large part in this. Supplements can help you.. Get a clean whey. Don't get a brand that's known for nitro spiking..

These are just some of the factors that play a part in deciding when you would be "over training".

There are signs to watch for and be conscious of.. Your body will tell you when you've reached the point where you need to slow down. Some of these signs are...

*unquenchable thirst. Pretty self explanatory.

*soreness and fatigue. This is beyond doms or typical soreness from training. It's typical to be sore for 48-72 hours. But If you're sore well beyond that, you might back it down a bit.

*insomnia. From the nervous system overload. A general rule of thumb is to get 7-10 hours of sleep if you can, to aid in growing and recovery. (i know.. I wish I could get 10 hours of sleep too)

*Depression. Yes you read that right.. But this is mostly associated with people with body image issues. I'll be honest and say that recently I was pushing 2 a days. And i started feeling doom and gloom.. I needed to step back. So i took a 4 day weekend and stepped back to 1 a day.

*Personality changes. This is another tricky one. It "can" be a sign.. But imho when you're really pushing hard and training with a purpose and focus, in my opinion you become more aggressive.. But if irritability starts becoming an issue as well.. You may need to step back.

*Injuries increase, or you're constantly aggravating previous injuries. This can also be a case where you need to focus on stretching and working on that trouble area. But new injuries and getting sick more often.. Can be signs that you're dragging yourself through the mud.

*Loss of motivation, having to drag yourself into the gym..

*Lower self esteem, this I couple with the depression type symptoms

*Reaching plateaus quickly and frequently, this can also be a result from poor training techniques. People don't realize that the first year that you train, your body will respond to the stimuli very well. This is why it's important to develop good training habits and techniques. That way once that period is over, you will have the building blocks to continue your growth and development.

Some articles and people I've talked to suggest that 3-5 hours is a good amount of time to be training.. And in my experience, there's no reason to be in the gym for longer than 45 minutes to an hour per day. But this is going to be determined by how you train. If you do a set, then wait 2 minutes to do your next.. You could be in the gym a while. But even between my heaviest sets, my wait time is 30-45 seconds.. It keeps intensity up, and you get done and get out.

Obviously if you are over training...i'd suggest stepping back and taking a few days down. Get some quality grub in, and think about something like a massage.. Do some light cardio if you have to be in the gym...

I hope this article helps someone. And thanx @pc747 for letting me write another article..

Any questions comments, please leave em below..

Last edited:

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Great advice. The older I get, the more I think I should be doing something more for my health, but I don't know where to start.

These threads help me at least learn a bit without learning the hard way.

I'm not worried about gains, but starting to get a bit of a gut and wouldn't mind adding just a little bit of mass in the process of working that off.

OP
94lt1

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
A good eating plan and a little bit of lifting would probably be an easy cure. Add a little muscle .. Increase your metabolic rate.. Burn more fat while you aren't moving ..

I'm still learning a ton.. So.. These help me too.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
A good eating plan and a little bit of lifting would probably be an easy cure. Add a little muscle .. Increase your metabolic rate.. Burn more fat while you aren't moving ..
That's what gets me. My metabolism is quick. I have to eat something every 2-3 hours or I get super cranky. Haha! I start feeling really horrible.

But the choices I make in what I eat could definitely be improved.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Great article man. Overtraining can also lead to high cortisol level's which means the probability of accumulating more body fat. Rest is key. When in doubt, sit it out...

OP
94lt1

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Great article man. Overtraining can also lead to high cortisol level's which means the probability of accumulating more body fat. Rest is key. When in doubt, sit it out...
Thanx.. I knew I spaced something.. Lol
Add stress to the over training and you have a recipe for gut flab...

Last edited: