Fitness Friday: Heavy Weight Training

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
benchpress1.jpg

Today we are going to talk about another routine and one many are familiar with in weight training. If you played sports in high school or visit the gym this is probably the most well known workout especially among men. The goal here is to create strength and do that by concentrating on lifting as heavy as you can while still controlling the weight. This routine focuses on putting a lot of stress on your larger muscle groups by pushing them to work harder in less intervals (ie 4-6 sets of bench press and squats at 1-8 reps each).

Example:

Bench Press 60% of 1 rep max 6 reps
70% of 1 rep max 4 reps
80% of 1 rep max 2 reps

Pros: Builds confidence as you see yourself lifting heavier and heavier over time. Grow stronger muscles as well as burn calories hours after the workout as your body is recovering.

Cons: Injury especially if you are using poor form and do not have a proper spot. Possible loss in fluidity: if you do the same workout over and over with out incorporating different movements you for one risk becoming bored as well as not building minor muscles that you use in every day activities. So basically listen to your body if you go to the gym and you are tired of doing arms on Mondays after doing it for 2 months straight try changing it up by doing legs, crossfit, plyometrics, or cardio.

Kept this one short because being this is basic we want to open this up for you to post workout ideas to share (ie you routine for the day, sets, reps, etc).

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Great article..

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Found a new method for me... On bench, pause at the bottom or with the bar an inch off of your chest.... Pause for the count of three.. Then fire the bar back up(controlled of course) hold it up at the top for the count of 1, slow back down for the count of three hold again.. Whew... Talk about tearing up some muscle fibres...

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Found a new method for me... On bench, pause at the bottom or with the bar an inch off of your chest.... Pause for the count of three.. Then fire the bar back up(controlled of course) hold it up at the top for the count of 1, slow back down for the count of three hold again.. Whew... Talk about tearing up some muscle fibres...

Pause reps are soo brutal!! :lifting:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I437P using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Look up hulk smash and that is all I can say here. Can not post the video because of language.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Look up hulk smash and that is all I can say here. Can not post the video because of language.

Lol! CT Fletcher? Language? ;)

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
He's resting the bar a bit too much, at least as it appears to me.. But I've seen that before..

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
He's resting the bar a bit too much, at least as it appears to me.. But I've seen that before..

Just while he's waiting on CT.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Just while he's waiting on CT.

I get that, but the point is, you're not supposed to rest the bar on your chest.. Its a tut (time under tension) thing..

The bar shouldn't be digging down into you. I get the power thing.. But there's a difference in this, which is more like a bottom end rest pause.. Which is essentially removing the weight from your pecs.. For pause reps, you're supposed to keep your pecs engaged (or whatever muscles you're working for the exercise).. For rest pause. You're giving the muscle a break, then going again, Ideally to get as many reps in at a higher weight, as you can..

Last edited:

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I get that, but the point is, you're not supposed to rest the bar on your chest.. Its a tut (time under tension) thing..

The bar shouldn't be digging down into you. I get the power thing.. But there's a difference in this, which is more like a bottom end rest pause.. Which is essentially removing the weight from your pecs.. For pause reps, you're supposed to keep your pecs engaged (or whatever muscles you're working for the exercise).. For rest pause. You're giving the muscle a break, then going again, Ideally to get as many reps in at a higher weight, as you can..

Agreed sir!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2