Fitness Friday 8/29/14

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
20110827-labor-day-grilling-menus-bbq.jpg

It's Friday, the four day weekend is upon us, and many of us are looking to barbecue one last time before the Fall season. Today we are going to piggy back off of last weeks discussion (http://www.droidforums.net/threads/fitness-friday-eating-right-is-90-of-the-battle.273058/) and talk about ways you can still live a healthy lifestyle while at a cook out. And unlike the last two discussions we will be opening this thread up to you, the members, to share your tips and recipes for the others to enjoy. First off here are a few tips from us:

1. Fill up your plate with more green: You are huddled around with friends and/or family snacking and sipping on some carbonated beverages, it is easy to lose track of the number of chips and cookies you have eaten. So make it a point to add some fruit and vegetables to you plate. This will help to fill you up while lowering your caloric intake.
  2. Do not forget the water: It is easy to not pay attention to the number of calories and sugar you take in from drinks, so grab a few bottled waters to help keep you hydrated and cut down on the calorie filled liquids.
We are opening the thread to you guys, what are some tips or recipes you would like to share.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Well.. You can always grill fruit, tomatoes, (yes i know they're fruit too) onions.. Especially Vidalia's.. <br /><br />Hawaiin style kabobs with quality steak and pineapple and peppers.. Use chicken if you prefer.. <br /><br />Southwest kabobs.. Steak thats marinated with a spicy mustard rub, bell peppers (red, yellow, green) onion (i like red) and cherry tomatoes.. <br /><br />Use stir fry veggies and some low sodium soy or hot mustard and they're thai kabobs.. <br /><br />You can use shrimp amd all sorts of stuff.. I stick with fatty fish... <br /><br />All of this i recently learned when i decided i wanted results.. And also decided that i was DONE backsliding..<br /><br />Stay away from creamy dressing.. Use oils.. Balsamic is great!! If you have no other options.. Use mustard.. There are literally tons of mustards out there.. Way better than 1000 Island or ranch<br/>

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
. I make my own sauce... <br /><br />Raw honey, vinegar and nature seasoning.. Brush olive oil over the meat before you put this seasoning on.. I add the seasonings to the honey in a sauce pot on simmer.. And add a touch of hot sauce.. Franks red-hot sauce, cheyenne pepper sauce is what i use.. Experiment and make your own.. I also add minced onions amd garlic.. <br /><br />Also.. The the types of meat you use can be modified too. I found a place that sells bison and black angus.. I use chuck for the burgers or just get thick cut steaks(leaner, not like prime rib) and usually do some pork spareribs for those who can indulge.. Its a contest of will power ;)

Also. Grilling has a way of sometimes drying out your meat.. Try freezing it after you get it for 2 hours.. Season it.. Wrap it in butcher paper(after brushed with olive oil) tossin the freezer.. Get the coals going or make sure your grill is up to temp, toss the meat on.. Depending on your temps. Rare and medium rare don't take long at all.