Fission vs. stock

bitojoe

Reaction score
Ok so i am currently on fission 2.4.3 and am kinda missing some of the stock apps and abilities, so to get to the point, whats better?

if i changed back to stock and got rid of the bloat, would that be somewhat as good as fission? or no? Will the Stock be as good on battery life if theres no bloat installed?

And no disrespect to Fission at all! I love this rom! it is great and fast and i can deffinetly tell a change in battery life!

Sorry this has probably been posted once before, im still getting used to android

jt1359

Reaction score
Well I don't know much about fission itself and i'm actually a little curious as to what features it adds compared to stock. As to your question, I recently rooted and removed some of the bloatware, but I haven't noticed much of a speed boost at all. Maybe if I removed a little more it would make a difference, but otherwise if fission was faster than stock for you, then that might be a better option. But I'm not sure.

TwoBuells

Reaction score
I’ve had my D2G for about 5 weeks. I’ve been running Fission ROM for about a month.
My average daily use: I work 10 hours days, listen to Howard Stern (recorded MP3 from previous days show) for about 6 hours, talk radio, Sirius app or Pandora via Bluetooth headset or speaker all day. I take 3 to 5 calls per day, and many text messages. I check email and surf web for about 30 min.
I do not run a task killer and I did not remove any bloat apps. I do run SetCPU, one profile is set to clock back to 600mhz when screen is off.
My extended battery goes from 100% to 50% in twelve hours. My stock battery in the same time ends the day between 20 and 30%.

tebower

Reaction score
I maintain two backups on my phone - one is a fully set up and customized stock build, and the other is a customized fission build. I have tended to flip back and forth between the two to see what I like better.

My stock install has tons of bloat apps frozen. It's quick and responsive generally. My fission setup is also quick, but every time I switch to it (because I want to give it another chance) I end up switching back to my stock backup before the day is out. It just doesn't offer anything extra over and against stock (with bloat frozen).

I started a 'definitive apps to freeze' thread to share what I froze, and also to find out just how much we can really freeze to get as close to stock as possible.

It's silly, but when using fission, one of the things I really miss is the built in music controls on the lock screen. On Fission, I have to use Widgetlocker to get the same function, which is not a bad thing...I just don't really want to have to use an app for it.

The other advantage to remaining stock is that when Verizon releases a firmware update, I can unfreeze my bloat apps, and get it immediately. The update history for Fission on the D2G is pretty unreliable right now. No one really knows when an update will drop.

I should also add that I don't judge the ROMS by battery life. It's not an issue for me since I am using the extended battery. I always get more than 2 days of use.

Last edited:

trook

Reaction score
Well, I'm not really in your guys boat but I have to comment anyways. I prefer fission over stock many times over. My lockscreen music controls have worked since fission 1.2 or something. I could swear they work on my wifes fission global too, are you sure they're just not disabled?

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

TwoBuells

Reaction score
Well, I'm not really in your guys boat but I have to comment anyways. I prefer fission over stock many times over. My lockscreen music controls have worked since fission 1.2 or something. I could swear they work on my wifes fission global too, are you sure they're just not disabled?

mine work also w/Fission

tebower

Reaction score
On Fission 2.4.3 I have no idea how to customize ROM options. That's one of the reasons why I don't like it. My install doesn't seem to have any of the options promised in the release notes (like Reboot in power button menu, for example, nor rotary lockscreen)

Am I missing something? What's the trick?

Dark Lazer

Reaction score
I think he mentioned that the reboot in power button menu thing was just for the droid 2, but he copied over the same install notes from the droid 2 to the droid 2 global, so some stuff is not accurate.

That said, I prefer stock rooted to fission. Only thing I enjoyed about fission were the themes, but it looks like we will get more themes now so I'm not really missing much.

Genetics

Reaction score
Everyone can't forget stock is stock. Anything that is not stocknis really an app that will consume extra resouces compared to what stock will offer. It is about the same xp vs vista. Nobody liked vista because it was more memory intensive but they liked some of the features which you could add through apps on xp. Once you did that xp used just about the same amount mo memory.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Everyone can't forget stock is stock. Anything that is not stocknis really an app that will consume extra resouces compared to what stock will offer. It is about the same xp vs vista. Nobody liked vista because it was more memory intensive but they liked some of the features which you could add through apps on xp. Once you did that xp used just about the same amount mo memory.

Have to look on the flip side of that too though. Theres things in stock that waste resources....

Merc

Reaction score

That is entirely inaccurate. Stock Blur on any phone is going to use more memory than Fission because of the built in bloatware among other things. Once you flash Fission and freeze the bloat, Fission DOES use less memory than stock. And you can't compare these phones to windows, they don't run the same way. I'm no expert but I have fission on my phone and all the bloat frozen. I'm running much cooler themes and transitions, yet my battery is much better. What I've done is commonplace to most droid users, so by simple deduction, your statement is full of holes.

trook

Reaction score
I agree with you 100% merc. Look at your running services stock, then with fission. Compare the running apps and the ram numbers at the bottom. Fission has been optimized where stock has been loaded with crap you don't want to know about. I wake up in a cold sweat sometimes because I had a nightmare I was running stock.......

Genetics

Reaction score
When I was talking stock I was talking about asop stock directly from google. I would never consider almost any manufacturer rom to be stock. Everyone adds something.

Genetics

Reaction score
My point about windows was the analogy about bolting pieces on hopefully it makes more sense with my last post about what stock I was refering to.

Genetics

Reaction score
Wow yeah sorry about not clarifying on my initial post. After going back that looks horrible. Amazing how one word can change the meaning of an entire post.