Fission 2.5.7 vs Liberty 1.5

km58501

Reaction score
I'm currently using Liberty1.5 and it works flawlessly on my Droid 2. However I would love to experience Fission. I'm just not sure if it is worth the risk of installing it in place of Liberty. I have a feeling that they are very similar.

Can anyone that has experience with both of these ROMS please give me a few pros and cons for each?

Also, if I did decide to switch, could I simply install the Fission ROM Manager and go from Liberty to Fission or would it be best to SBF back to factory first?

Thanks

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Fission has contributionware unless you intend to donate. For example, they'll lock in 2 or so Fission websites to your bookmarks that you will be unable to delete. Little annoyances like this are found throughout the rom. Regardless though, Liberty was a much more polished experience than Fission when I compared them on my phone. You might have different luck, but in my opinion the contributionware alone is enough reason to stick with liberty.

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
And to answer your question about sbfing to install a new rom....I, personally, think that its unnecessary to sbf every time you flash a new rom. Wiping data/cache seems to give me the exact same experience as sbfing when preparing to install a new rom. Keep in ming though, you might want to change the liberty boot logo back to stock (in the liberty toolbox) or the liberty boot logo will stay with the next rom you install.

Reaction score
Fission pros in my opinion = better battery, third eye theme, reliability, smoother. Liberty pros in my opinion = liberty toolbox and I also don't sbf when flashing new roms and have never had a problem.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
I can't stand the "contributionware" in Fission. If that never goes away.....I will never reinstall it.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You do not need tosbf in between roms. Only time you need to sbf is if your phone can not be recovered (ie stuck at the M) or if you sending it back to vzw. I used them all and I suggest you try them yourself and come up with your own opinion. If you backup your rom right now you can return your phone exactly the way it is now if you decide you do not like a rom. So back up your current rom then install a new rom via instructions. If after trying it you do not like it then you can restore your nandroid backup of your current rom.

mardoon

Reaction score
Quote "I suggest you try them yourself and come up with your own opinion." pc747 "Quote +1
I never sbf either I even keep a rooted stock image for girlfriend when she has questions for her customers.
Mardoon

Last edited:

trook

Reaction score
Both fission and liberty are good, stable, fast roms, I agree with above post. Try them all, try every rom that's out there and see which one works best on your phone, for me liberty kept locking up really bad and very often so I went from apex to rubix to squidly and im back on fission for about a week now but I will return to Liberty because I love it, I love all of the roms we have, I dont want to choose one so I'm not gonna, other people wont have lockup issues on liberty but they will on fission...weird but true. As everyone else has said, sbf's are for emergencies and always as a last resort, I've sbf'd twice out of neccesity and I've reflashed roms hundreds of times, it says to sbf in the fission instructions because the first couple versions were very buggy, team defuse really needs to remove that part from their install instructions.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

Last edited:
OP
K

km58501

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice from everyone. I will be trying other ROMs in the near future.

ultima

Reaction score
they'll lock in 2 or so Fission websites to your bookmarks that you will be unable to delete

those bookmarks (pissed me off) can be removed, manually tho. cant think of the name of the file but i know where to go find it u edit a value from "2" to "0"...i googled something along the lines of "unremoveable bookmarks"

and +100000000000 for Liberty