First Wood Backing for Moto X Arrives on MotoMaker; Will Cost $100 Extra

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Dec 17, 2013.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,254
    [​IMG]

For a couple of weeks now we have heard several pieces of intel regarding the wood themed backing which is supposedly coming to the Moto X. We can now report that the first of these has arrived. The Bamboo optional backplate for the Moto X is now available on the MotoMaker website. There is one negative to this new feature from Motorola. The Bamboo backside will cost users an extra Benjamin. The new option is quite appealing, but we will leave it up to you guys to decide if it is worth $100 bucks more. There is one other intriguing thing to report which might factor in on how you judge this. According to Motorola themselves, this is not a faux wood plastic or laminate product. It is actually real wood, so no two will ever be 100% alike.

Apparently it is also a very limited edition and is in very limited quantities because it is already delayed shipping until January. There's no word yet on when/if any of the other wooden themed backs will start showing up, nor what price premium they might sport. We will keep an eye on this and let you know more details when they arrive. Below is a link to the MotoMaker website in case you have been waiting to get this. What do you think of this radical new look for a smartphone?

Source: MotoMaker

#1 dgstorm, Dec 17, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  2. blacksoxing

blacksoxing Active Member

Ratings:
    +30
    So basically I gotta pay an extra $100 PLUS probably still figure out a way to protect the screen????

Wow

3. 94lt1

94lt1 Super Moderator
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,530
    Current Phone Model:
    Droid Turbo 2
    Being a guitar nut, I have to wonder... How well is the wood sealed? You'd think pretty well....but the way some companies cut corners...I'd want to be sure...

In case anyone wonders what my point is...If its done poorly, sweat or humidity can make it swell. And not fit properly

MAXXED OUT!!!!!

4. akhenax

akhenax Silver Member

Ratings:
    +503
    100 smackers??? No thank you.

I want the wood back just like the next guy, but a $100 more is just ridiculous. If they made it less than the rumored $50, the Moto X maker site would be shut down and they would have a hit on their hands.
    Oh well.

#mourningwood

#4 akhenax, Dec 18, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  5. husker_fan

husker_fan Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I love my moto x, but they really failed on the moto maker aspect. At&t exclusive and then months later with wood backs that are over priced. They could have killed the market, but missed the mark. I hope they don't give up though, good ideas with less than stellar execution

6. akhenax

akhenax Silver Member

Ratings:
    +503
    We all want the Moto X to be successful. I have no stock in Motorola. I don't work for them. Something just wants me to root for them, for this phone.

They gave us a phone that had high expectations at first, with all the rumors, but turned out to use yesterday's technology for today's environment.

They nixed the quad core, for a dual core. They nixed the 5" screen for a 4.7. Then they teased us with wood (tee hee), only for it to be far fetching.

NO WOOD FOR YOU

[​IMG]

The wood back is really the only thing that sets this phone far apart from the pack, given that it comes from the OEM. I can look past the old tech, I can look past the smaller screen, but dangling the wood (tee hee, sorry for the pun) in front us, just out of reach, is uncalled for.

I wish there was an official statement from Motorola regarding this, explaining the delay, and cost.

7. PereDroid

PereDroid DF News Team Reporter

Ratings:
    +3,902
    Current Phone Model:
    Moto Turbo 2
    Some of us CELEBRATE a smaller screen. I for one am GLAD they stuck with the 4.7.
    Sick of giant phones.

No offense but when I see someone with a giant Note in their hands I just can't help thinking....
    "you look like a tool..."
    :D

Again, no offense. Really. Just one man's opinion. But I hate giant phones.

8. blacksoxing

blacksoxing Active Member

Ratings:
    +30
    Maybe you need to see a big man w/big hands w/one....because folks stop me and say it looks perfect....

I could imagine though someone using a holster looking silly with it though

9. FoxKat

FoxKat Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,290
    Current Phone Model:
    Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
    Bamboo is very dense so I don't think sealing is all that important, IMHO.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

10. FoxKat

FoxKat Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,290
    Current Phone Model:
    Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
    Roflol...

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

11. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +941
    LOL, there are so many things wrong with spending an extra $100 for a wood backing.

12. MissionImprobable

MissionImprobable Silver Member

Ratings:
    +169
    People buy Vertus. I'd definitely pay it if this were the phone I wanted. I have a Skinomi wood grain skin and people comment on it all the time. I'd love to have the real thing. If you enjoy it go for it. If not, do you. I wouln't pay $400 for an Xbox One, but I don't see it as wrong for people who want it to do so. I keep my phones at least two years, so I'm going to get what I like =p